cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jacyo Crank problem

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am working on a Jacyo Pop up camper, and the crank mechanism is acting strange. It cranks up fine. But when you go to lower it, it acts like it wants to skip or stick when you turn to crank down.
Any suggestion or ideas on what may be causing the problem.
Is it repairable or is a new crank mechanism needed?
Thank you
Dr Quick
2 REPLIES 2

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:
I am working on a Jacyo Pop up camper, and the crank mechanism is acting strange. It cranks up fine. But when you go to lower it, it acts like it wants to skip or stick when you turn to crank down.

I'm sure you mean Jayco and from long ago owning a '98 Jayco I recall that the cables in that lift system can unevenly wrap one of top of another, then when tension is released a bit can result in an unnerving noise as one cable layer drops down to the one below it. If this is indeed what you're hearing then there's nothing to be fixed, it's just the nature of the beast.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Not really enough information for me to offer anything that might be helpful, Doc...

Skip or stick... those seem like two different behaviors... is it one or both? Can you see the lift cable where it comes off the winch, and is the cable loose? Is it dirty? Are the corner supports removed? (I know... had to ask). Have you tried standing in the open doorway, reaching up and pulling down on the top while an accomplice de-cranks?

And lastly, have you tried standing next to the pup and dropping something heavy on your foot... like, say, a hammer? You may have accidentally discovered a zero-gravity zone.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi