cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing/wiring for trailer and brake controller

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I’m new here so this may be a topic that has been covered but I can’t find a thread in it.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with an aftermarket tow package that has a four way flat connector. We’re buying a travel trailer and I need to install a brake controller and switch to a 7-pin trailer connection.

Seems like installing and connecting the brake controller under the dash will be a piece of cake. What I’m not sure of is what I need to do next.

How do I convert the four flat to a seven pin? Do I have to run wires from the battery/brake controller to the hitch? Or does plugging the controller into the plug beneath the dash tie it into the vehicle and I need another wiring harness/adapter for the rear?

Thanks all!
8 REPLIES 8

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I was wiring up my tacoma I came close to buying a unit that was wireless, plug in under dash and put the receiving unit on the trailer. if your TV isn't set up for plug and play, that is the way I would go. and you can easily move unit between different trailers.
bumpy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Tekonsha controller and their pigtail adapter and the controller install is plug and play as noted above. The Tekonsha Prodigy controller is a good choice
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
All good to know. Thank you all very much.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the hard part on my tacoma was finding/getting to the fitting behind the kick panel on the driver's side. really buried and hidden with mesh.
bumpy

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I did this on a 2010 F150. The wiring should already be there to the back of the truck. You add a harness for the 7 pin to the factory harness (plugs in ), get the harness connector for under the dash for the P3 (plugs in), add an oil cooler for the transmission, and mount a hitch to the frame, unless your bumper is rated for what you intend to tow.
You probably also need to add a couple fuses in the block under the hood to allow trailer battery charging etc.
I agree, e trailer is the best for trailering parts and they have videos for almost everything they sell.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not hard at all.

Here is what you need

Prodigy P3 Brake Controller- Etrailer Link

Etrailer Universal Brake Controller Install Kit PN ETBC7- Etrailer Link to ETCB7

Etrailer- no drill mount for the 7 way connector- Etrailer Link

Convenient Etrailer install video- Install Video- 2014 Ford Explorer

Not hard at all! Just follow the directions they give.

I have installed these many times.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
Battery to controller, battery to rear hitch or both?

Thank you for the info and link

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vehicle should be prewired for the brake controller.
The 7 pin harness can be purchased here..
You will have to run some wires to the battery.

7 pin connector
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY