Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electricity Costs A Cut And Paste

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's "Reality Check Time"

and below is a cut n paste from the San Diego Union Tribune
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

During the summer months of June 1 through Oct. 31, the baseline increases as energy demand rises across the state.

Customers in a standard SDG&E tiered billing system pay 27 cents per killowatt-hour in the summer and 23 cents a kilowatt-hour in the winter. If usage exceeds 130 percent of the baseline, the price then goes up to 48 cents per kilowatt-hour in the summer and 40 cents in the winter for that tier.

But if usage exceeds 400 percent โ€” or four times the baseline amount โ€” the rate jumps to 55 cents a kilowatt-hour in the summer and 47 cents a kilowatt-hour in the winter. This is considered the โ€œhigh usage charge.โ€

Jones said the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) instituted the charge as a way to encourage customers to conserve energy. It applies to all ratepayers serviced by the stateโ€™s three big investor-owned utilities โ€” SDG&E, Pacific Gas & Electric and Southern California Edison.

Yep, this caught me by surprise as well. But reality is blunt and unforgiving, whether I like it or not ๐Ÿ™‚
27 REPLIES 27

Talleyho69
Absolutely. For a while we were logging our meter readings daily, but now that we think we have things figured out, we are doing it weekly on Sunday morning. Last week we used 55 kwh. Not bad while using the AC for a couple of hours daily!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Eyes and a watt meter can supply lots of information about loads.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
With mini-split air conditioners, inverter technology saves a lot of energy and money.

Like Talleyho says, we have a lot of appliances here in Mexico with that technology.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing new actually....

See I worked for SCE (1980...2003)
They were always on a 'conservation campaign' due to HIGH summer demands and having difficulty in maintaining the required 10% margins

Well folks conserved and then it was time for a 'rate increase' which the PUC approved.
Folks that conserved now had a NEW Lower Base Line and where then charged higher rates when they exceeded their New Base

Same old game....same con. Pricing has just gone much higher
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
We desperately need this technology on our RVs. I am ready to run my A/C with a Honda 1000 ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I suspect my induction "hot plate" uses the inverter technology as well. When I first turn it on low it draws a steady number of watts--but once it reaches the "set" temperature it cycles quite quickly--way faster than the "head" ammeter on the Magnum remote can follow.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Talleyho69,

Thanks. The only devices I know of are the Panasonic Microwaves--which use inverter technology so as power levels drop--so does the energy consumed. I did buy a triple minisplit air conditioner for my retirement condo--it came from overseas so it may have that technology.
Regards, Don

Talleyho69
When we moved here we were told to be sure to buy inverter technology appliances. We wanted to know exactly what you wanted to know-what the heck is that? Search for more information.

Cost for AC units are about 20% more and use about 80% less electricity. Is this possible? Yes, as we are learning with our electric bills. Our refrigerator, 26 cubic feet, cost less than one in the US and uses very little electricity. It's quiet, too.

I just did a general search for information about inverter technology and found a number of write ups, and wasn't thrilled with any of them. I suggest you do a search and read several.

Unfortunately, one of our former neighbors in So Cal decided that she wanted a mini split AC inverter technology. Unless she comes here and takes it back with her, it's not available, and that's what I found when I looked for any appliances with that technology in the US. Apparently the US just isn't "poor" enough to justify the introduction of it there. Huh?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Inverter variable power appliances. Some ceiling fans are inverter controlled, microwave ovens, My coffeemaker has inverter temp control on the keep warm cycle. Does a good job at 160 degrees regardless of line voltage.

That DAP for solar lamps is to pay for them and maintain them. One of the lessons to be learned down here is to not do stuff like put up solar powered street lights then stop the DAP. Residents with regular street lights would throw fits. Jeez when SCT molded three highway topes for us and two for Bejuco and Chututitan I thought we were on the verge of WW III. When I donated a home built 150 watt LED streetlight for the crosswalk across Mex 200, -that- caused a lot of resentment. I have a family that helps me keep an ear near the rail. My kids use that crosswalk. Now that there is a periferico around the village, steel truck traffic and all commercial traffic has been cut 98%. It's boring to sit at the kid's Semana Santa Snack shack next to the village tienda and watch the road -- it's deserted. But no more window rattling jake brake serenades at 0315 hours.
There still are minor advantages to belonging to an ejido or cooperativa (I belong to the ejido and my kids belong to the huge cooperativa in Lazaro) The enramadas get commercial power rates at 66.66% and I get stuff like chickens, ducks and if I wanted them, goats at bargain prices, feed too. My fungicide for the orchard is discounted I believe 25%.
I wouldn't trade this for free rent in the states.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Talleyho69,

May I as you to expand on this "inverter technology" please?

Talleyho69 wrote:
We think the inverter technology is what's saving us. Near as we can tell it isn't available in the US at this time.
Regards, Don

Talleyho69
Yes, you are correct that there are things that are exempt from the 16% tax, but not very many.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
List of products exempt from IVA (check your grocery receipts):

Carne fresca o refrigerada
Ganado bovino, exceptos los de lidia
Pescado, excepto los filetes
Camarones, langostinos y demรกs decรกpodos
Pollo
Oveja
Cabra
Cerdo
Leche y nata
Papas
Tomate
Cebolla
Banano
Uva
Manzana
Melones
Cafรฉ sin tostar
Caรฑa de azรบcar
Arroz exepto el de uso industrial
Queso, requeson, y lactosuero
Huevos de gallina y otras aves
Leche para bebรฉs
Preparaciones infantiles a base de leche
Cuadernos
Diarios y publicaciones periodicas
Libros
Medicamentos
Educaciรณn
Transporte pรบblico
Aguas minerales
Fertilizantes
Maquinaria agricola
Caucho natural
Abonos
Semillas para la siembra
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
EVERYTHING in Mexico is taxed 16%, but unlike in the US, the tax is included in the price of most things, like groceries and liquor.

Here's a link about using solar with CFE: https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cfe-backs-off-on-legal-action/
Several of our neighbors have solar arrays and have significantly lowered their bills and sold power back to CFE.

The DAP on our bill last two month cycle was 49.04p. It's listed as a municipal tax and appears to vary in different municipalities. Interesting that it would be for streetlights because all of them in our area are solar.

Getting a second meter? Easy. CFE provided us with the Whatsap number and we were able to get approval in 2 days. Before they could arrive to install the second meter our electrician called "his guy" at CFE and they arrived in an hour and installed it. Another CFE guy arrived the next day to install it too, found the new one, and left.

Our electric lines are underground here with digital meters.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
CFE adds 16% tax to the bill

The evil in both countries is the government. They tax the SNOT out of power companies and then the utility passes on the expense to the user.

CFE told me in no uncertain terms that if they caught me using solar panels to power part of my residence with AC electricity they would sever my utility connection. Panels or utility. Panel power is sold to the utility then back to you using whatever formula.

When I first installed my generator and MSW inverter CFE sent an engineer to analyze the system. When he saw the enclosed either or knife switch he OK'd the system. The knife switch sends 254 volt power plus neutral to three monster battery chargers and the structures.

I lucked out and still have the analog meter.

DAF on a CFE bill is for streetlights. CFE used to mount and power YOUR purchased streetlight for free in rural areas. I have one across the highway from the extended dirt driveway. But it's a 150 watt high pressure sodium.

The rumors rage about the effect of a gargantuan magnet placed close to an analog meter. I had a hell of a time getting a separate meter for the new under construction casita. Attempts to feed one load with multiple meters have been widespread I guess.

A 25% change in a seasonal meter average brings forth a 2nd lectura surprise visit a week or so after the normal date reading reaches the comision. Usually a CFE car.

CFE has portable scan tools that can read amperage (watts) at a distance. If the reading on the tool and reading on meter instant usage do not agree, they change the meter. If still different they insist the mufa your power pole service drop be replaced. Then verified. Cheating is rife down here.

Every one of my kitchens have roof top foot square vents over the stove. They make an amazing difference as does plywood enclosure of the back of a refrigerator and forcing meaning amplification convection of condenser cooling. This is most worthwhile in tropical all-year climates. The vents have to be designed for the worst a hurricane can offer