cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great river road

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of doing the great river road in late sept and oct. need suggestions and advice. Will be in a class A 36 foot towing a car. What not to miss and what to avoid. Where to stay and so forth.
18 REPLIES 18

dturm
welove2drive wrote:
The road between Alton, IL and Grafton, IL is beautiful. The road is all that is between the river and tall bluffs. It is best viewed going south.Grafton is nice river town. Pere Marquette SP has a beautiful lodge, also campground with electric.
Take I255 to go around East St. Louis.

I second this.

Another beautiful section is on the Illinois side between the Quad Cities and Dubuque.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
By chance, this is "Drive the Great River Road Month" and there is a $500 sweepstakes on the website.

https://experiencemississippiriver.com/the-great-river-road-the-best-drive-in-america/

I've driven bits and pieces of it. Wished we knew which direction you are going (N or S). Headed north, at the southern tip of Illinois, cross the river either on the I-57 bridge or the old US 62 bridge (one of the oldest on the river, very high and has 10 ft wide lanes. Turn off on Illinois highway 3 and head north.

Most of the road is on the valley floor and you have bluffs on one side, and farm fields, RR tracks and the river on the other. You will encounter a number of historic markers. nothing real big or important. I didn't find much to see or do at Cape Girardeau, but the fairly new bridge is kinda neat. Continuing north, you eventually come to Chester, the home of Segar, the creater of Popeye. At the east side approach to the bridge you will find a small museum and information center, both about the bridge, and the town and Popeye. A drive thru town, including going inside the Hardees, it worth it as there are murals and statues of the Popeye characters all over town.

Going North out of Chester either take county 6 from the bridge approach, or take state 3 and turn left on county 3. Both take you to the river, at the Ft Kaskaskia Historic Site. There is a nice campground there.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnrhistoric/Experience/Sites/Southwest/Pages/Fort-Kaskaskia.aspx

Continue north on state 3 to and thru Ellis Grove, and turn left on Roots Road and cross the Kaskaskia River. If you are looking for a camping spot, turn left after crossing the river and drive to the dam, where there is a Corp of Engineer campground. If you don't need a place to stay just continue after crossing the river on the Bluff road and it takes you to Modoc and Prairie De Rocher. This is very scenic as the towns are set under the edge of the bluffs. If you have a desire to cross to the Missouri side, Modoc is the last place to do this before St Louis, as there is a ferry that crosses. Some of these roads are dirt/gravel but are quite smooth and easy to drive on, just dusty. The ferry can handle semi trucks so an RV should not be a problem.

http://stegenmodocferry.com/

I purposely try to cross the big Muddy every different way I can, just to say I have. This could be expensive for you, I would call first and verify what they will charge, I crossed in a car back in 2012.

Skipping to north of St Louis, Hannibal is a must stop (Mark Twain boyhood home) and all the towns are rather scenic. If you are a military history buff, the museum at the Rock Island Arsenal is well worth the side trip. Do this in your car, this is a government installation and you have to sign in and out. There is a Confederate POW cemetery there, and a display of field artillery and tanks a couple of blocks from the museum. Gate guards will give you directions.

US 67 on the Iowa side, just north of the I-80 bridge is Le Clair, the birth place of Buffalo Bill Cody, and there is a neat city museum there next to the river. Up toward Princeton are signs taking you off to the Boyhood home of Buffalo Bill. Nice county operated museum. Not far, but a zig zag road trip is the Scott county Park which has nice RV camping.

Make your way back to the river at Clinton. On the Iowa side is a eagle watching park north of town and if you cross over to Fulton there is a real Dutch windmill on the Levee and a museum nearby. In Fulton just north of the windmill is a cemetery on a very steep bluff side and the parents of Ronald Reagan and other family members are buried there.**

The drive north from Clinton on the Iowa side is very scenic, (never drove the Illinois side north of Fulton to Savannah) and at Sabula Iowa, take the toad across the oldest bridge on the Mississippi (1929) to Savannah. The bridge is size and weight restricted and I don't think a MH is allowed.

North of Sabula/Savannah, at Blanding ILL, and Bellevue Iowa, are a number COE camping areas right on the river.

Jumping further north, I highly suggest driving Wisconsin highway 35 from Prairie de Chien north to La Crosse. Extremely scenic drive under the bluffs.

There is a river aquarium at Dubuque, and about 30 miles west of Dubuque on US 30 at Dyersville is the National Farm Toy Museum (worth a couple of hours) and not far away is the "Field of Dreams".

Charles

** Confusing to say the least. Fulton, Ill claims that 16 of Reagan's relatives are buried in Calvary Cemetery in Fulton (including his parents?) however, other information shows that Ronald Reagan's parents are buried in Calvary Cemetery in Los Angeles California.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
One of the most underrated drives in the U.S. especially in the fall!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
The road between Alton, IL and Grafton, IL is beautiful. The road is all that is between the river and tall bluffs. It is best viewed going south.Grafton is nice river town. Pere Marquette SP has a beautiful lodge, also campground with electric.
Take I255 to go around East St. Louis.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
About 5 years ago we came home from the U.P. by picking up the GRR in Wisconsin and basically staying on it to Oxford, Mississippi. A few side trips to Maytag and so on, but mostly GRR.

I would do it again, probably in the other direction, but avoiding St. Louis.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
The most scenic stretch with the quaintest towns and great history lies between Red Wing Minnesota and McGregor Iowa. A little curvy on the Iowa stretch but the Wisconsin side is just as nice.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Shoot, just head to NC, they're all river roads according to the weather channel.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over a number of trips we have done sections of the River Road. Not much river is visible most of the time. It goes through many old sleepy towns though
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Columbia River Gorge. It is the Great River Road of the West.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How much and what sections? It's a long way from the Big Easy to Minnesota.

Much of the middle and lower section, you won't see the river a lot as it's behind dykes but obviously, there are nearby towns and historic sites.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you starting from. It runs from Missippi up into at least Illinois, maybe Wisconsin. You should be able to google the portion you are thinking of and find some information.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We saw Jerry Lee Lewis's birthplace in Faraday LA, but decided not to get out of our vehicle. You can't see the river for much of it but it is a nice drive and we will do it again.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Went from St. Louis north to the head of the Mississippi River . Some beautiful scenic areas. Some not so much. Some neat towns also years you could get a map of the whole road, you may try to google it they still may offer maps

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is a National Scenic Byway.