cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety and security

Browan72
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I am looking for info and advice. I have a class a motorhome with 2 slides. When I’m on the road and stop for the night at say truck stop, parking lot or rest area. Am I the only one that has trouble sleeping because I’m not sure what’s going on around my motorhome? I was wondering if there was a low profile or should I say a stream lines camera that blends into the motorhome like the driving cameras. That are wireless WiFi and has motion activated night vision that will alert me and film what’s going on outside. Plus also if my wife or I hear something we can view outside and around the motorhome. You hear of crazy people and crazy things happening all the time. Plus at night if I stop and stay in a parking lot I’m not sure what type of neighborhood it is..I don’t want to put those house cameras hanging off the corners. any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
33 REPLIES 33

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
most drivers, rvers carry a bang stick or six.. a dog of three that will bite.

Not true in our large circle of RVing friends. We're not paranoid. We just use common sense and then relax. What fun is it to always have to look over your shoulder?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
As for campgrounds, we've been in some pretty dark ones and do make it a practice for leaving a lot of exterior lights on, all night.
No, don't like that.

Not talking flood lights here and with our rig, once our lights are out and eyes shut, I don't see anything, but darkness.
With four that I like, they don't call them dock lights for nothing.

Those all night lights may just cause someone to open 3 or 4 cans of sardines at 3AM and toss them near or under your rig. Those local Skunks and Raccoons love those sardines and sometimes can make quite a racket having a scrap over them. :E

Orrrrrr maybe, a would be perpetrator will just walk on by the one with the lights, that's making some racket and go to work on the one, that's hidden in dark.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
most places i have parked at. the bg fears you more than you fear them. as most drivers, rvers carry a bang stick or six.. a dog of three that will bite.

but if you stop and the area gives you the jitters keep on down the rd.

i have over nited in many a parking lot. side/ back street. even in a suburb.
only time i got the jitters was out in the open desert. along hwy 395 in ca. a pu stopped next to me. i just started up and drove away. wanted to be alone in that area. and it felt strange someone would stop right next to me that way.
so i say go with your gut.

Poor guy probably had the jitters and felt safer with having some company....:)
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
most places i have parked at. the bg fears you more than you fear them. as most drivers, rvers carry a bang stick or six.. a dog of three that will bite.

but if you stop and the area gives you the jitters keep on down the rd.

i have over nited in many a parking lot. side/ back street. even in a suburb.
only time i got the jitters was out in the open desert. along hwy 395 in ca. a pu stopped next to me. i just started up and drove away. wanted to be alone in that area. and it felt strange someone would stop right next to me that way.
so i say go with your gut.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Use common sense and take reasonable precautions. We don't stay in rest stops or truck stops. Too noisy and just not for us. We have stayed in Walmarts, Cabelas, Sam's Club, Lowes and Home Depot. We always ask beforehand (except Cabelas which usually have RV spots). If we are not comfortable with the location we move on.

We have two dogs who bark if they hear or see someone around the coach. I lock my outside compartments and can activate an audible alarm from my coach key fob. We may leave our docking lights on if it is otherwise dark where we are. When I take the dogs out before going to bed, DW watches us from inside the coach with the door locked. We have small arms in the coach if anyone should try to break in while we are there.

Been traveling around the US since 2004 and never had an issue. Not saying it can't happen but I think you can reduce the possibilities by being aware of your surroundings and taking reasonable precautions.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
As for campgrounds, we've been in some pretty dark ones and do make it a practice for leaving a lot of exterior lights on, all night.
No, don't like that.

Not talking flood lights here and with our rig, once our lights are out and eyes shut, I don't see anything, but darkness.

Those all night lights may just cause someone to open 3 or 4 cans of sardines at 3AM and toss them near or under your rig. Those local Skunks and Raccoons love those sardines and sometimes can make quite a racket having a scrap over them. :E
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
LED lights outside tend to be softer and less bright so leaving them on all night isn't as annoying as it is with the incandescent bulbs.

Also, we're on the 3rd page with this and there has only been one story of a basement compartment theft? That seems pretty good for us average occasional parking lot camping RV'ers. Pretty low occurrence rate in this group.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
No, don't like that.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack the OP thread, reading all these posts remind me why we don't dry camp anymore. We sure did many years ago & I take my hat off to those that enjoy it. In a CG I could sleep through an earth quake like a kitten. In practically any free overnight stay I hear every car door, voices, vehicle starts, etc. End result for me is the dry camp experience generally cost me a decent night's sleep so these days we stick to CG's.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
Daisy and Molly hear everything. And if it is really bad Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson are available.
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
WE never stay anywhere but RV parks. Most are reasonable and several we stay for more than a day. I many time don't unhook and am most happy will a long hot shower at the end of a days (6 to 12hour) drive.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
No, don't like that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

I'm probably opening a can of worms, but we have been full-timing over 14 years, and have probably felt unsafe a couple of times max. But we are experiencing more and more folks that light up their rigs all night that make it obnoxious to anyone nearby. We seek out dark campgrounds, not brightly lit parking lots. In fact we are finding more and more parks that request all outside lights be turned off after a set time, say 10pm.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are cameras that do not even look like cameras.. There is a phillips head screw.. only it's a camera. But it looks like a common phillips head screw. You can even paint the head (Just don't get paint into the part where the screwdriver goes) to match your RV.

Click for a picture of it

NOTE that was found with a Google search I have no info on the company.

Next time you are in a hotel.. LOOK CLOSE at screws. And such.

And I sleep just fine.. Can't sleep watching a screen for tribble
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times