cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-95 travel thru NC/SC

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
anyone been thru the carolinas yet on -i-95 yet? any flooding or bridges out from the flooding? or is it too soon?
25 REPLIES 25

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Well, I am sitting in Richmond as we speak and itโ€™s great...

Thanks a bunch for the report.

I fear that it is too late to change my decision....as some other factors are involved too.

So, I hope you have a good time but I won't be taking a chance on fighting the traffic to get there.

I do still plan to be at Charlotte the following week though.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam Spade wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

run up 75 to 64 into Richmond

That's one good alternative; there are a couple of others.
BUT......
With 95 being closed, all of the good alternate routes are likely to be PACKED, especially when they give the all clear for people to go back home.

And Richmond took a pretty good hit of water too.

It seems that ALL of the national new media only wants to spend their time showing a news person standing in knee deep water and talking about the places that it is the worse......instead of giving out some actually useful information.....like what the general situation is around the WHOLE area and what roads are still passable.

I think I have decided not to chance it.
Charlotte next week. Hopefully things will be cleaned up enough to allow for safe travel by then.

Well, I am sitting in Richmond as we speak and itโ€™s great... Will be at the track tomorrow ( staying on turn 3) ..If you decide to make a run for it, let me know I have a couple of 2 day Solar Fangriund passes I will give you...

They had heavy rain over the past few days but itโ€™s all starting to dry out... Except for the many confirmed tornadoes that hit not far from the track....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

That's one good alternative; there are a couple of others.
BUT......
With 95 being closed, all of the good alternate routes are likely to be PACKED, especially when they give the all clear for people to go back home.

And Richmond took a pretty good hit of water too.

It seems that ALL of the national new media only wants to spend their time showing a news person standing in knee deep water and talking about the places that it is the worse......instead of giving out some actually useful information.....like what the general situation is around the WHOLE area and what roads are still passable.

I think I have decided not to chance it.
Charlotte next week. Hopefully things will be cleaned up enough to allow for safe travel by then.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam Spade wrote:
And even when things actually do start to day up so that more roads are open again, there likely will be a rush of people going back home clogging the roads with traffic.

I suspect that the recommended alternate routes might be that way now.
I have pretty much decided that it is NOT a good idea for me to try and get to Richmond for the races this weekend. That's a fair chunk of change down the drain.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
And even when things actually do start to day up so that more roads are open again, there likely will be a rush of people going back home clogging the roads with traffic.

I suspect that the recommended alternate routes might be that way now.
I have pretty much decided that it is NOT a good idea for me to try and get to Richmond for the races this weekend. That's a fair chunk of change down the drain.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i live in south central nc. 45 minutes from I-95 as of this morning I-95 has still major problems and parts still closed. not only that but many many roads close to I-95 are still closed. the rivers are supposed to crest today if we don't get any rain. it will be a few more days for water to recede, and DOT to determine road integrity.

you can check on I-85 for alternate route thru western part of nc. it is very bad here even central and western nc. there were water rescues in our area going on even yesterday.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On US 17 in Brunswick, GA, just north of the exit 29 I-95 interchange, there is an over-head sign that usually tells drivers the amount of GA road deaths in that year or to call 511 for traffic info. Last night, the sign said to avoid I-95 in NC and SC because of impassable sections of highway.

I saw pictures of I-95 in Lumberton, NC (around exit 20) and I-95 looked like a river. Rivers are expected to continue to rise for several more days. I would take the 75/81 route. Certainly out of the way for South Jersey, but it's pretty much the only route available right now.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tyler0215 wrote:
Emergency workers and first responders would probably like tourists to stay away. Yeah, it's too soon.

That is the news I'm seeing. Unless, you have a very good REASON to be there. Like if I were to head down to help with communications.. KEEP OUT till they get er cleaned up a bit more..

First Rule of First Responders.. DO NOT ADD YOURSELF TO THE LIST OF VICTIMS.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
NCDOT TIMS

SCDOT 511
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.wral.com for updates. They are expecting more flooding on 95 for the next 24 hrs at least. NCDOT is recommending taking route in article that is hundreds of miles out of your way. I would just stay out of area.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
At this moment it looks like trouble between ROUTE 264 thru ROUTE 301, and more between ROUTE 40 and ROUTE 13
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at my GPS mapping right now and thereโ€™s a whole bunch of sections of 95 that are closed
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
95 Closed MM364 to MM369 due to flooding right now until further notice.

There is no such Mile Marker on I95 in NC or SC. NC is 182 miles long, SC is 198 miles long.

I saw a news story this morning where NC Governor asked people not to drive through NC.

-Michael

Sorry, Those were the MM given in the news reports as I was typing. Chuck