Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Searching a little SUV for towing

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ,

I am Stefan from Germany and I need a little help from you. We are buying tomorrow a A Class and searching for a car to towing after the RV.
We want a little SUV like Suzuki Sidekick, RAV 4 or something else. It can be older, price max 8000 $ . Can you help me whitch car is the best and possible to tow?
We are in the north from Seattle for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Stefan
28 REPLIES 28

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2002 Chevy Tracker 2dr 4wd. They are nearly identical to the Suzuki Sidekick..just the name is different. There appear to be more of the Trackers than the Sidekicks.

Check your local craigslist (rv/camp section). That is where we found ours.

You have to get the 4 wheel drive. Can't tow the two wheel drive one.

We are just getting ours set up to tow. We also found a tow bar and brake unit on Craigslist. Saved about 50% over new.

Like the fact that you can remove the top. Recommend getting one with the removable hardtop and air conditioning. Nice to have some creature comforts.

Ours only weights 2800 lbs.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
camnperdave- that's pretty high mileage on the 2000 Jeep, but shouldn't be a problem for the short term that schubi will probably be using it. Looked good in the pictures of the ad and the owner can help him get used to the arrangements and hookups for towing.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2000-jeep-wrangler-sport-toad/6681664484.html

Ready to go, tow bar and brakes included.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I think Stefan have found and bought the vehicle he wants.

But for info, 2008 in Sacramento is $17 to $18K.

Samurai is about $7K.

One consideration for the purchase is that a used Wrangler can be bought from you for a reasonable price once you are ready to go back home. A Samurai may take sometime to sell and you might even end up writing off the entire purchase cost if there is no buyer. And again, the condition and the headaches it might cause you.

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, here in the Area Bend Oregon is no Wrangler to find. I hope it will be better in Sacramento

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with a used Jeep Wrangler, say a TJ model which were manufactured from about 1997 to 2006, so it shouldn't be too expensive. Look into the Craigslist listings in the general area where you want to buy and make it known that you want one that is already equipped for towing. I'd definitely stay away from a tow dolly (license requirements, extra weight for the motorhome to pull, hassle on getting dinghy off and on, storage in the campground, and possible problems when you want to sell it). We purchased a used Jeep Wrangler a couple years ago that was already equipped for towing and have been well satisfied with it. There are several other sources to look for used vehicles, but I'm not that familiar with them. Good Luck!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Thanks for your help.

The list in the motorhome magazine I have found.

How is the Quality of a Jeep Liberty 2006-7? I love the Sidekicks and Samurai. But I find nothing in Autotrader, carsforsale etc. Has somebody a another website?
Are there any websites where people sales cars ready for towing. It s easier for me.

We purchased our 2004 Libby in 2006 and have towed it extensively throughout the USA and Canada. We have put a little over 100,000 miles on the odometer (in addition to the 18,000 on it when we purchased it) and towed it for another 80,000+ miles. We love it and are sorely disappointed they are no longer made. The only thing we have done to it is replace the ball joints and tie-rod ends this summer. The A/C compressor was replaced two or three years ago - otherwise, she has just had normal preventive maintenance done to her. Oh, and I am very hard on vehicles the way I drive - fast acceleration, hard braking, fast entry into and out of curves, etc., especially in mountain driving like we have hid this summer and last.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some Wrangler in the range 7000-9000$ . 120-140 k mls. Good runners or troublemakers? Most of them are modified, what I dont want to have. . 4 or 6 Zylinder?

Thanks

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
But also has one of the highest resales, you might want to do a bit more research.
Best of luck, which ever way you go.
Safe Travels!!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Wrangler would be fine, my favorite car??. But the price is to high for me, the Rv was too expensive.

Y-Guy
As for the Liberty they are solid. But I will say I found the seats in our Liberty to be uncomfortable for long drives, and this is not an uncommon issue. We have a 2005 Liberty Sport and have had no major issues, except the window motors have failed in 3 of the 4 windows and again, this is not an uncommon issue.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Jeep Wrangler, And when the time comes you will have no problem re-selling.

And parts or repair shops that service them everywhere in the US.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Wrangler, And when the time comes you will have no problem re-selling.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a Susuki Grand Vitara that should fit your needs:

Susuki Grand Vitara

They are asking way too much for it, a good price would be $3,500.