cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What ply tires should I get?

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Trail Lite Bantam 17Ft Hybrid camper, weights about 3000 lbs empty. The tire size is ST205/75R14 Prices vary quite a bit by what ply tires you want. What should I get so I'm safe? I do sometimes have some extra weight in the camper.

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
A word about plys. The more you add, the stiffer the sidewall gets and the ride (for the trailer) will get rougher. Yes, the tires are much more durable, but the trailer will bounce harder, things will come loose, you get the picture.

The comment from phillyg was the first negative comment I've ever read about Maxxis tires, most people rave about them, although I never have had them. I just replace mine every 4 years, period.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd Maxxis 8008's 8ply. A 2nd choice would be Carlisle 8ply radials. Years ago their tires were junk. I had 2 of them blow out on me. But their design changed and I've heard great things about them the past several years.

Is your trailer single axle? With 3,000lbs gross and around 400lbs hitch weight you're at around 1,300lbs per tire. Make sure the tire you buy is rated above that. The Maxxis or Carlisle tires are rated at just over 2,000lbs each.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help everyone.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
Someone said Maxxis; don't do it. They've been subject to a lot of failures. The current recommended ST tire in 14" size is the relatively new GY Endurance, made in the USA.

Actually until the Endurance came along. Maxxis has had the BEST reputation of all ST tires. And are the preferred tire. hopefully the Endurance will prove to be as, or more reliable. We won't know of course for a couple more years, as the endurance have only been out for a year or so.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone said Maxxis; don't do it. They've been subject to a lot of failures. The current recommended ST tire in 14" size is the relatively new GY Endurance, made in the USA.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly. Buy the same weight rated ST (trailer) tire that is on it. Either Endurance, or Maxxis. This isn't that hard. The weight rating is right there on the sidewall.

You don't want car tires, and it is really hard to find a HD tire in that size, plus you don't need it. Tires like you have work just fine.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Put USA made Goodyear Endurance tires on it and pay no attention to those that defend the cheap Chinese junk.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Single axle trailer, probably will weigh something like 4K loaded. Load Range D should do fine. (It likely came with Load Range C, but it's very likely they would be running close to their weight rating. That's not something you want to do with trailer tires.) In terms of weight - go to a scale after loading up for a trip and get your true loaded weight. Sometimes using GVWR is ridiculous. I used to have a 21 foot trailer with 3,500 lb CCC - fully loaded weight was 2,700 lbs below GVWR.

IME, any brand tire works fine if you always drive below their speed rating (many are only rated for 65 mph) and don't overload them. I've always run cheap tires and the only tire failures I've experienced were due to damage from road hazards. (Lost one to a screw, and another to a larger piece of metal. In both cases the culprit was still in the tire, so it was obvious what caused the failure.)

I currently use Kenda LR D, 15" tires on my trailer - a Korean brand, made in China. 35K miles so far on this set with no issues.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
JoshuaH wrote:
I have a Trail Lite Bantam 17Ft Hybrid camper, weights about 3000 lbs empty. The tire size is ST205/75R14 Prices vary quite a bit by what ply tires you want. What should I get so I'm safe? I do sometimes have some extra weight in the camper.

Thanks!

Get the same ST (before the tire dimensions). ST is side reinforced to carry the weight.

There is also weight ratings of B to E. You need to determine your total gross weight when loaded to get the right tires to buy (weight rating x2 if you got a single axle trailer).

Buy American or Japanese brands.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rustycamperpants wrote:
I have Korean made Nexen Roadian heavyload tires and they work great for my rig. You dont have to spend a lot of money to get something that fits your needs. Good luck!

Everytime I read one of these threads I wonder how I have made it all these years being unsafe and without killing myself or someone else and their whole family. 5 different RV trailers where the OEM tires were used until they needed replaced. Brand names such as Towmax, Westlake, etc. I also was responsible for a fleet of 10 or more at times equipment trailers for 19 years, that went down to the local tire shop and had whatever they had on the shelf put on them when they needed replacement, always of the ST flavor. Strange i've never personally had a flat tire on a trailer in around 40 years of towing them countless miles. Must be pure luck or a fluke.

Then I started visiting RV forums and learned about blowouts China bombs, and how ST tires were invented by Satan himself. Oh the humanity. Its great stuff reading through these threads. The sky is falling, not the blue one, the pink one LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
"Ply" ratings really have nothing to do with the number plies in a tire and are not that accurate. Letter rating are better, but for many years ST/LT tires have been required to have the actual weight rating stamped on to the side of the tire.

You do NOT have to use ST tires. LT tires in the same or very similar size that meet the required load rating are acceptable and you will have a lot more choices !

+1

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Buy Maxxiss or GoodYear Endurance for the best ST tire.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
"Ply" ratings really have nothing to do with the number plies in a tire and are not that accurate. Letter rating are better, but for many years ST/LT tires have been required to have the actual weight rating stamped on to the side of the tire.

You do NOT have to use ST tires. LT tires in the same or very similar size that meet the required load rating are acceptable and you will have a lot more choices !

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I have Korean made Nexen Roadian heavyload tires and they work great for my rig. You dont have to spend a lot of money to get something that fits your needs. Good luck!
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH