Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In search of a small Class C

dgdubya
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

We are looking for a small motorhome, something 24 feet and under. We were looking at Rialtas and the array of Toyotas that can be found. I've also been searching for Coachmen Catalina Sports. Are there other makes I should be looking for? We really like the idea of being able to park in a regular spot and driving an RV that's not much bigger (or the same size) as my pickup truck. Gas mileage is what got us looking at the Rialta but they have their problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $10k if possible.

Thank you,

DGW
16 REPLIES 16

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I should have also mentioned that "Champion Telstar" and "Firan Telstar" motor homes will be in your $10,000 price range, and they seem to be well built, especially the ones starting in 1991 with the later Ford E350 chassis. Barbara Streisand owned a 1986 model year for a while. It was for sale on Ebay years ago, decked out in purple with a built-in cell phone on the wall, a luxury item for it's time. Firan Testars were offered in many different lengths, though I am not certain any would fit in a regular parking spot. But they are worth investigating.

Google "Firan Testar" and "Champion Telstar" to see many pictures of them on the web.

dgdubya
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. This is giving me far more in the way of options than I was finding through Craigslist searches! lol

Thank you all.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
What ever happened to the smaller motorhomes? Nobody makes anything shorter than 26 feet these days. It would be nice to have something that can park in a single parking spot.

The 19 foot Majestic is a nice item, but with the floor plan allowed for a better bed.
Our main floor double bed, normal dinette and dry bath measures 23'-8" over-all length including the spare tire cover. Click on my profile to see many pictures. Unfortunately it is 2.5 feet beyond reasonable limits for a typical parking spot.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winnebago Aspect 23d and we have been happy with it. Itโ€™s slightly narrower 7โ€™11โ€than other Cโ€™s. Actually a B+. No cab over, but with a slide. Itโ€™s on a e350 chassis with a V10. Mileage 9-10 mpg. Downside for us is you have to make the bed daily, but weโ€™ve gotten used to it. See: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/brochure/2006/06-Aspect-bro.pdf

This model was only avail 3 years, 05-07. Looks like current value is around 20k.

Norm
F1BNorm

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
What ever happened to the smaller motorhomes? Nobody makes anything shorter than 26 feet these days. It would be nice to have something that can park in a single parking spot.

The 19 foot Majestic is a nice item, but with the floorplan allowed for a better bed.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the brochure on the Winnebago model line that our 2005 24 foot Class C came from when we bought it new - ours is the 24V model, but you might also be interested in a good used 22E or 22R: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/brochure/2005/05-Spirit-bro.pdf
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
14 years full time experience and I have owned 3 Toyotas. Join the TMC Toyota Motorhome Club on Facebook (or Toyota Motorhome.org on the web) to learn more about them. Mine is 25 years old and is as new as they get, but I don't hesitate to drive cross country. Knowledge is is power when it comes to buying one of these.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
dgdubya wrote:
OMG that looks perfect, and sweet! Thank you
My brother and his wife own a 1998 model year. They "Love" their Starflyte. Starflytes seem to be put together very well. His E350 version is holding up very well considering it is now 20 years old and left outside all the time.

One thing you will want to add if not added already, is a heavy duty rear stabilizer bar. There is no rear bar at all on the E350 version. The bar will run around $250 plus $100 labor to install it.....well worth the $350. If pursing a Starflyte, hopefully the one you find has a heavy duty rear stabilizer bar added already.

My brother and I bought a heavy duty rear Helwig stabilizer bar, found cheap on the internet. We installed it together with common tools. Nothing weird or especially difficult

Given the age of the E350 front stabilizer bar and it's end link bushings that wear out easily, I would also recommend replacing the stock, weak front bar with a heavy duty Helwig bar. My brother is letting his front bar ride. I could not convince him to upgrade it to a heavy duty Helwig. He says the rig handles fine with just the heavy duty rear Helwig bar.

dgdubya
Explorer
Explorer
OMG that looks perfect, and sweet! Thank you

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
A Coachman Starflyte or Dynamax Starflyte should be added to your list, especially given your $10,000 price limit. Coachman started Starflyte production around 1997, later taken over by Dynamax, the last model year around 2005. They were built very well. The earliest Coachman versions will be most affordable. They were offered in 3 or more different floorplans. My personal favorite model is the rear corner double bed with forward mini-dinette.

Here is a Starflyte. It fits in a regular parking spot with an acceptable amount of overhang, making it work. Any longer would be too much.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer

dgdubya
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the comments.

That was one of the issues with the Rialta, plus it seems like there are a whole lot of issues, especially transmission temps, not to mention that the engine is a bear to work on in terms of no room to get at anything. And the few parts that are available are expensive.

Toyotas are promising. The one showing in the Tuscon ad is a scam, BTW, it's all over Craigslist here too (not the Dolphin).

I think price is going to be the issue so looking to see what's available other than the three I know of.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
leisure travel vans. www.leisurevans.com ours has been great . ain,t no staples in my rv. also phoenix crusier spelling might be off on the last one. ours has the small diesel seen 20mpg lot of times.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
look at craigslist AWAY from your location. There were several such rigs in the local craigslist this week. A new looking old toyota and some other small rigs.

Look at the tucson craigslist.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1994-toyota-warrior-brand-new/6697227713.html

here's another:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/d/toyota-dolphin-38k/6678983588.html

plus you get to get away to check out what ya find. Maybe try and find someone willing to look at for ya 1st. There are other C's listed old and newer.

one last time:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search/rva?query=rialta
a litle more than 10K but along lines of what you are searching for:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2003-carri-go-class-23ft-low/6695176918.html