cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A true 1/2 ton fith wheel?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen on you tube dealers trying to sale fifth wheels and saying that your 1/2 ton TW can tow it without any modifications is this true? I have a 2014 F-150 super crew 4X4 with a 5.0L

Thank you all in advance
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
33 REPLIES 33

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
OP is MIA.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
I wised up and went ahead and bought a 1 ton dually regular cab. Still looking for the right 5th wheel that I want and yea still searching. Been searching for over a year and i'm still at a loss for what I want.

Milt
Explorer
Explorer
Check on Grand Design they have one. Don't remember the full number but is 150 something. I believe it's 28 ft. with one slide. GD uses a lot of aluminum in the structure to reduce weight.
Milt

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:

Now has anyone tried towing right at max, under the new J2807 spec? How do the newer trucks perform against the spec?

This is me. Max fifth-wheel weight rating is 9100 pounds by J2807. I'm at 8200 pounds. I use tow-haul mode and lock out the overdrive gears (5th and 6th). No problems whatsoever.

But I should say I haven't towed it in any extreme conditions. I typically travel at 55-65 mph. Largest climb has been from home into the Grey Highlands which is 1000 feet total elevation change. Temperatures in the 90s at the most.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb luck. I dumped the water down the storm drain, while I got something to eat.

Still looking for those towing the max rating, as per the J standard, in the modern pickups.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
With my 1st 5th wheel the dealer told me that I could tow it with my 1/2 ton Chevy Gasser. I towed it once and when we came home I told my wife we either sell the 5th wheel or get a bigger truck.

It did tow it BUT I had to be aware of hills and get sort of a run at them and the stopping factor was not good either. I was white knuckled the whole time and not a pleasant experience.

I upgraded to a 2500HD Gasser and it was like the trailer was not even back there.

I have since upgraded to a 2500HD Diesel and also my 5th wheel which is heavier. It has three slides where the old one had only one. Same length at 31 foot. The diesel handles it BUT when it comes time to upgrade I'll be looking at a 3500 or F350 for sure.

The daily driver is not an issue for me as I have always enjoyed driving a truck over a car although there are times such as WalMart I wish I had a shorter bed than the 8ft back there but I get by.

I wish you luck in finding the right solution for you!

Dave

This was my story;
1/2 4500lb 26ft 5W, one tow and went F250
F250 9300lb 33ft 5W towed great
new 5W 35ft 11900lb towed OK
F350 with the 35ft and I think it have a great combo.
The F350 tows well in all conditions, winds, mountains, & down hills.
These newer TV's have come so far, built in exhaust brake, built in brake controllers, two packages, 5W prep. Each TV got a bit newer and a bit larger, none of the trucks were new I look for low mile used.

From my experience no 1/2 ton can tow much more than a popup.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
That is an amazing combination. You got a truck with 1340 lbs payload rating and found a 9000 lbs fifth wheel with only 1240 lbs pin weight. And made it just under the 15000 GCVWR. Amazing find!

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted this before, but the topic always comes up, and few give scale numbers, so again:

My experience with a ยฝ ton fifth wheel, on a drive to Yellowstone, from New Jersey. The 2011 Silverado was set up with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears, along with the towing package. It is a standard bed and rated for a 9600 pound trailer. Trailer was a new 2011 Wildcat.

Over the Cat scales at Flying J exit 2 in Jersey with a full freshwater tank, and loaded for a long camping trip:

Truck only:
Front 3320
Rear 2360
Gross 5680

Truck & Trailer:
Front 3180
Rear 3740
Trailer 8000
Gross 14920

Calculated:
Truck 6920
Pin 1240
Trailer 9240

So, with the truck rated at 7000, and the combined at 15000 and the trailer at 9600, I ainโ€™t no bricks shy of a full load.

So how did it tow? Not too well at 104 degrees and a stiff headwind across SouDak. I was slow and the truck overheated so I ran the heater to cool it down. I traded for a bigger truck and have been happy.

Now has anyone tried towing right at max, under the new J2807 spec? How do the newer trucks perform against the spec?

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the half ton truck towing a 5th wheel. Even with the Aluminum body F150 with 2,019 of payload. Most 1/2 tons have several hundred fewer pounds of available payload because of the steel body. So, using 2,019 pounds of payload as an example, subtract 200 pounds for the hitch, that leaves 1,819. Now subtract your weight and a spouses weight. Lets say that's 350 pounds. Now you're down to 1,469. Now subtract 60 pounds for 25 gallons of gas and you're at 1,409. Now subtract the weight of propane tanks, batteries and camping stuff in the 5th wheel. Most people guestimate they put 700-1,000 pounds in their campers. Lets say the Propane, batteries and gear adds 400 pounds to the pin weight. That leaves 1,009 pounds to work with. Now maybe you have a spray in bed liner or a fold up tonneau cover or a dog and you throw a few camping chairs in the back seat or a few other things. Lets say that all adds up to 150 pounds. Now you're at 859 pounds left before going over available payload. How many 5th wheel campers being sold today have a 859 pound or less dry pin weight? There might be a few very small 5th wheels but the vast majority aren't anywhere near a dry pin weight of 859 pounds. Now imagine it's not a F150 with aluminum body and the available payload is 1,590 pounds like it was when I owned a 2015 F150 with Ecoboost. No way I could tow a 5th wheel and be within specs. I have a sticker on my new Salem Hemisphere that has all the buzz words and stickers. Half ton towable, Ultralight, etc. I tow it with a one ton Ram with 3,900 pounds of available payload. Yes it's more truck than I need but I don't worry about whether I can throw a camp chair in the back seat either.

The factory spray-in bedliner and the full fuel tank are accounted for in the payload figure printed on the door sticker, so you donโ€™t have to subtract those.

Now if youโ€™re worried about the weight of a camp chair in the truck, then I agree you should probably have something bigger than your typical half ton.

We bought our current truck and trailer from my brother in law, whoโ€™s a professional truck driver. He towed it for two years with a Ram 2500, then replaced that with the F-150.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the half ton truck towing a 5th wheel. Even with the Aluminum body F150 with 2,019 of payload. Most 1/2 tons have several hundred fewer pounds of available payload because of the steel body. So, using 2,019 pounds of payload as an example, subtract 200 pounds for the hitch, that leaves 1,819. Now subtract your weight and a spouses weight. Lets say that's 350 pounds. Now you're down to 1,469. Now subtract 60 pounds for 25 gallons of gas and you're at 1,409. Now subtract the weight of propane tanks, batteries and camping stuff in the 5th wheel. Most people guestimate they put 700-1,000 pounds in their campers. Lets say the Propane, batteries and gear adds 400 pounds to the pin weight. That leaves 1,009 pounds to work with. Now maybe you have a spray in bed liner or a fold up tonneau cover or a dog and you throw a few camping chairs in the back seat or a few other things. Lets say that all adds up to 150 pounds. Now you're at 859 pounds left before going over available payload. How many 5th wheel campers being sold today have a 859 pound or less dry pin weight? There might be a few very small 5th wheels but the vast majority aren't anywhere near a dry pin weight of 859 pounds. Now imagine it's not a F150 with aluminum body and the available payload is 1,590 pounds like it was when I owned a 2015 F150 with Ecoboost. No way I could tow a 5th wheel and be within specs. I have a sticker on my new Salem Hemisphere that has all the buzz words and stickers. Half ton towable, Ultralight, etc. I tow it with a one ton Ram with 3,900 pounds of available payload. Yes it's more truck than I need but I don't worry about whether I can throw a camp chair in the back seat either.

Itโ€™s really simple...most people not on RV.net look at ratings from the Pirates of the Caribbean perspective. In that movie the Pirates Code was looked at more like guidelines than actual rules.

Most people who tow a fifth wheel do not weigh their rigs or care about weight and go entirely by feel and โ€œtow rating.โ€ Its the pirates code of towing. Do what feels right. If it doesnโ€™t feel right when you tow, buy a bigger truck.

I donโ€™t like it any more than you do, but itโ€™s the way it is.

I know several dozen RVโ€™ers and I am the only person in that group who weighs their stuff and makes sure itโ€™s right.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
I got the greatest need covered, and I can do it with a truck that performs excellently as a Daily Driver.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
gbopp wrote:
You never see someone complaining because they have too much truck.
Actually some do. When a truck is also used as a Daily Driver (DD) and only used 10% ยฑ as a Tow Vehicle, a 1/2 ton can make sense. A 3/4 ton can make a terrible DD for many reasons, and if its a diesel it can be even worse. So if a 1/2 ton can be used within it's ratings as a Tow Vehicle, it's a win - win when also used as a DD.

I love when this topic comes up because its gives each of us the chance to chime in and talk about how we know more than anyone else.

FWIW, I've never heard of anyone saying they had too much truck FOR THE PURPOSE WHICH THEY HAVE THE TRUCK FOR. I've heard plenty of people complain about the difficulties of DD'ing a dually. But I've never heard of anyone complain who has a short bed 3/4 ton (unless its not enough truck).

All sensible logic suggests that you should plan for the greatest need in terms of your purchases. Decisions based on the "common" need will feel quite foolish when your need is greater (even if only for a short period of time).

Over on the Grand Design forum, there is a person who came on there with a F150 EcoBoost and "1/2 ton towable" 5er...and he said that it was not enough truck. Even admitted that he was wrong and others were right. He stated that the truck had the power to do the job, but it performed poorly in cross-wind conditions.

Get the bigger truck or a smaller trailer.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Before I recently bought my 18 Ram 2500 6.4 (2970 lbs CCC) I found a new 2018 F150 HDPP XLT about 40 miles from me. Marked down considerably. A rare find so I called the dealer to get the CCC. It was around 2300+ IIRRC. Figuring what I have for pin weight (1800 lbs), that would leave me 500 lbs and change. 280 lbs for the DW and I only leaves 220 lbs for water jugs, gas can, firewood, etc. I'd be maxed out. I went back and forth between the two trucks. I really wanted to give the F150 a shot but in the end I went with the 2500. More up side with the axle ratings. Downside is mpg's. Since I'm retired I don't do a lot of driving for work so buying gas doesn't hurt that much.
1/2 tons do work as long as you watch your weights.
Plus I got a crew cab and an 8' bed, something you can't get in an F150.

Explorer II
Explorer II
The FW in my signature has 1100lb dry pin weight. It's 1370lb ready to camp. My reese hitch weighs 120lbs. ~1500lbs is about as low as I can get.

This setup tows great, I enjoy every minute of it.

On Edit: I do not use the SuperGlide any more. Hated it
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857