cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling inside rear tires

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried a couple of different types of valve extensions on my 2007 Itasca Navion. The rigid extensions that were on it when we bought it in 2014 were vibrating against the outer wheel where they came through the wheel vents/handholds, and one wore almost through (caught it before a trip instead of ON the trip, yay!).

I've got flex extensions on it now, but, when I checked today, two months after our last trip, one side was down to 30 pounds, and the other down to 40; so they're both slowly leaking down. They held fine during the trip, so maybe I need to be content with checking and topping up the inner rear tires monthly, and checking diligently while on the road.

One mechanic at our local tire center says all extensions are bad, and recommends getting rid of them. But then, says I to myself, how will I check and fill the inner tires? I can't quite fit my hand into the wheel vents, and am having trouble understanding how I'd accurately fit a tire gauge and then an air hose in there.

If I had a grandchild with smaller hands and good dexterity, I'd just take her/him along to do that...but, lacking that, am stumped.

Ideas will be appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
deleted, already posted.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I once checked the tires on my 20' flat bed trailer, then loaded it up and left a couple of hours later. An hour down the road we stop at a local food store, and one tire was almost flat, a valve core didn't seat after checking the pressure.
Now I only use a radiant temperature gauge.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A proper truck tire gauge, and the corresponding inflation tool (and valve cap tool) can make extensions unnecessary, properly supported long stems make the job much easier. I've actually done OK the past 14 yearsusing armored flexible extensions on the inner duals, and screwing temporary metal extensions onto the short metal stems on the outers and front, for checking and filling. All this was made easier when I pulled off the razor-sharp stainless steel wheel liners and stored them in my garage.

I don't check and fill monthly, I check before I drive, every day I drive.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
Coming back to visit this one with an update. After some roaming around trying to get answers, I was referred to Borg Equipment (shows up on the interweb as http://yourtireshopsupply.com/), where I was able to get long valve stems bent specifically to fit my year of Sprinter. I had them installed at a local tire shop, and they look like the solution. They are sold with rubber stabilizer fillers for the vent hole in the outer rim through which they exit, and they're right simple to reach. It was pointed out to me that they'll make rotating the tires more expensive, but I rarely rotate tires anyway, so I'm not worried. I got great service from Kelli there. We haven't taken the rig on the road yet, but I'm impressed so far.

They are....the solution. You will be very happy. Money well spent.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
Coming back to visit this one with an update. After some roaming around trying to get answers, I was referred to Borg Equipment (shows up on the interweb as http://yourtireshopsupply.com/), where I was able to get long valve stems bent specifically to fit my year of Sprinter. I had them installed at a local tire shop, and they look like the solution. They are sold with rubber stabilizer fillers for the vent hole in the outer rim through which they exit, and they're right simple to reach. It was pointed out to me that they'll make rotating the tires more expensive, but I rarely rotate tires anyway, so I'm not worried. I got great service from Kelli there. We haven't taken the rig on the road yet, but I'm impressed so far.

My Coachman came with the same or similar setup. My only problem with this setup is that I cannot access the stem with the hubcap/simulator in place. On my
Rear simulators there is no relief for the stem. Yet there is a relief on the fronts. I guess I'll have to cut the reliefs myself.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a 2007 Winnebago View on a 2006 Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter chassis, same as the OP.

What I suggest is..........
1) remove the simulators if you have them, and store them away. If you want, like I did, buy a couple of Mercedes plastic hub caps for the front wheels.
2) install Alligator air thru the caps.... caps. Well made, in Germany, of brass.
3) buy a tire pressure gauge like the one Harvey shows, at least one with the same straight/back angle chuck and long stem, there are a number of them on the market.
4) buy the long Milton straight/back angle servicing chuck, and I went so far as to install smooth "nuts" in the chuck rather than the grooved ones designed to lock onto the grooved caps or threaded stems.

Here is my post from a thread back in Feburary.

Harvey51 wrote:
When we bought our 4 year old MH, I didn't buy special stems. The used Ford had plastic extenders on the valve stems and I managed quite nicely with pressure gauges like this and a similar inflation head for my compressor.
P
The straight on end is necessary for the inner wheel and the backward angle one for the outer s which must have the valve stem long enough to be close to the rim opening. I have had a service station add air twice and they both had the appropriate inflation tool. I rarely use my portable air pump but it is a comfort to have for sure,

I never had trouble that a plastic extender but a metal one I tried failed to close after I checked the pressure at a rest stop. I got the darn thing off quickly enough to limp to a service station.

With the first set of new tires I got Costco to install longer valve stems (rubber) and have never needed extenders since. I also decided to put regular valve caps on to keep things clean, using a short length of plastic tubing with a wood dowel holder to take off and put them back on. It takes about 5 minutes to check all the tire pressures. Would be a little faster if I marked the spot on the rim where the stems are located. The Costco installer thoughtfully installed the wheels so both inner and outer valves are in the same big rim opening.

The gauges shown by Harvey are the type I recommend. It makes checking pressures with standard stems very easy.

For balance purposes, the wheels should have been mounted with the stems 180 degrees apart, directly opposite each other.

I tried the Borg stems on my Sprinter and quickly gave up and had the tire shop break down the wheels and remove them. We reinstalled standard rubber/brass 80 psi truck stems. I had jacked it up and home and pulled the wheels, part of the problem was that I quickly discovered that it was very difficult to install the wheels without damaging the stems, the stems also did not fit properly even though they were supposed to be bent properly and also that the long stem on the inner wheel makes it impossible to interchange it to any other position without breaking it down and swapping the stems, and this requires more seals as you damage the seals getting it apart.

The sprinter stems tend to point somewhat inward and you have to wiggle the gauge or service chuck around to flex the stem outward somewhat, but when you push hard, they seat/seal easily. This inward turn is part of what makes the Borg stems so difficult to install on a Sprinter, They need three or four slight bends in them to work, and you are still stuck with the difficulty of removing or installing the wheels without damage to the stems.

To Borg's credit, they promptly refunded me all of my money and I was happy. Possibly on other vehicles they fit better, but the problem of non-interchangeability of rims with the long stems and the difficulty of mounting wheels on the vehicle without damaging the stems is still present.

I do not run wheel simulators. I removed them as soon as I got the vehicle home when I bought it. I use a slime gauge similar to the one Harvey shows, plus a Milton 12 inch long straight/reverse angle air chuck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QI1WEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Plus German made brass Alligator V2B service thru the cap, valve stem caps. Keeps dirt out of the stem, but eliminates the need to remove caps to service or check pressure. https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B-Inflate-Through-Valve/dp/B014VCY3S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=...

The Milton chuck has grooves inside the ends to allow it to "lock on" to the thread on a valve stem or the machined locking grooves (which are not threads) on the Alligator caps. This makes the chuck frustrating to use, so I replaced the seal retainer/end nuts on the Milton with smooth, ungrooved ones, https://www.miltonindustries.com/dual-head-chuck-nut.html

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The OE extenders are bad news on the Sprinter. I had a stem failure due to them.

These folks will set you up with rigid long valve stems that have the inner stem supported. Call them and Kelly will set you up with what you need. She really knows her stuff. Their post sales support is exemplary too.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
We have the alcoa wheels so they have the steel wheels on the inside. I put 4 inch extensions on the inner stems with a small dab of locktite to keep them on. have worked well in the 5 years we have had the setup. Only problem is that tps will NOT work with the extenders. Bought some of the long stems from the tire guy in kalif, just have not been able to get over to the tire shop to get installed so I can use the valve stem tps I bought. if using the locktite get the red 222 which is a low strength one or 242 which is medium. Just dont get carried away with it so it does not get into the valve core.

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
My Sprinter Vista Mini by Gulfstream has a bracket to hold the inside and outside valve stem. It's a 2008 so it must be working or they whould have changed it out ? I've not had any problems in 4 trips so far.

Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I faced this same issue on the Ford, and now that I have Pacific Dualies wheel liners on my Chevy, it's a similar situation.

Here's what I've done:

First, the kit:
compressor, double foot straight gauge, valve extender, 11/32nds hose

I've installed these short extensions on both motorhomes now, neither has been an issue over the years. I tightened them to the original valve stem with tiny adjustable slip-joint pliers when I installed them, and to date, never had a leak:

For the inner dual: peering through that "handhole" that some Ford "engineer" should have had their head examined....:

Simply use the 11/32nds hose to reach in and remove the cap:

Result:

Reach in with your double-foot gauge to check the pressure:

If you do need to add air, use one of those dastardly extensions attached to the inner dual shrader. The female end of the hose is fixed - it will not rotate independent of the hose. Thus, it can be installed by twisting the hose:

Attach your compressor:

It helps to have a screw on fitting, where the push-on style is difficult when holding the push-on to the hose, and turning on the compressor. two people (or three hands....) would be helpful. One of the push-on type with the hold clip would help, or having a large compressor that has a holding tank.

This setup would work on the sprinter as well.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I installed valve extensions two years ago. I also added rubber insert valve extension stabilizers to each extension. They fit in the hole n the rim. No movement or abrasion and no loss of air whatsoever. Easy to top off after normal loss every 12 months or so and TP sensors all work fine. Chuck

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, all.

I talked with the Sprinter service writer at the Mercedes dealership, where we get this RV serviced, and he said Mercedes offers some plastic extensions that he does NOT recommend.

I wound up talking with the truck tire mechanic at a local place, and he said:

(a) braided flexible extensions always fail.
(b) rigid extensions always fail, though not as fast.
(c) long valve stems would be the solution, except that, because of the way Mercedes makes wheels, none of the long valve stems they can get will fit.

In his opinion, the only workable way to go is with short valve stems - which means airing up the inner tires from the inside (there is clearance, but it wont be fun), or learning how to reach through a small opening with a tire pressure gauge and air chuck. I think a tire pressure monitoring system is in my future!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Go to your local tire shop. If you bought your tires from them..or that chain, they will do it all for you, gratis.

I have spent a goodly sum trying to fit an extender than actually lasts and so far? nope. The tires guy tell me...never will they last. Now..that maybe depend on how the RV gets used. I'm always up some side road or thru trash that will really put a load on the tires. That will change things, some.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/