cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some new outlets

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Installed a small 350w inverter this weekend. Just for TV/DVD entertainment. I decided to just pull wire and install dedicated outlets near the electronics. The inverter is turned on/off with the remote switch.

And since I was chopping holes, I installed some USB charging outlets too.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
13 REPLIES 13

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I like splitting the receptacle, but of course didn't think of it at the time I did my inverter outlets.
I installed the dark brown outlets for inverter outlet, one in the bedroom tv cabinet, one in the bathroom, and one in the living area tv cabinet.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the switch right there next to the outlet ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to just label the inverter output receptacles? ๐Ÿ˜‰

bpounds wrote:
Will anyone read the labels?

Hard to miss when it's staring you in the face. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I did something like this but with a single duplex receptacle. A typical residential 20 amp duplex has a sort of "bus" that connects the two outlets but they each have screw or push connectors. If you cut the "bus" then they are two independent outlets. I attached one outlet to "house" power, the other to the inverter outlet. I then labeled one "house" the other "inverter" I didn't have room for another dedicated outlet. For the main entertainment center I used a plug strip, and moved it from house to inverter or back as the need arose. Remote switch was a toggle inside the fuse panel. I did two of these, one for the bedroom, one for the main area.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am close to doing the very same thing for our tv. We mainly boondock, and I was directed to make it so she can watch tv without starting the generator. I was going to use a small rv light switch for the remote on the inverter, but I hadn't thought of the way you did yours. Much better looking than what I had planned.

Thanks for sharing this idea.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:

I guess I could have done that...oh wait...I did! ๐Ÿ™‚

Will anyone read the labels? Will someone? Will everyone? I don't suppose it really matters.
2006 F250 Diesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I did mine the same way only added 3 dedicated outlets. I left them white. The others are black. I left them white so the wife will know which ones to use. We we dry camp I tell her were using the whites ones. Keeps it simple. ๐Ÿ™‚

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
It isn't important enough at this point.

Good tip about spray painting them. Probably would not have occured to me. I've seen so many bad room painting jobs, where they were too stupid to remove the covers and just cut around them, or worse just roll over the whole thing. I've probably got a mental block. Spray paint makes perfect sense.
2006 F250 Diesel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
...I kind of wanted black, but they didn't have what I needed at the moment to do that.

I've done a LOT of interior home remodeling and customized a LOT of things to make "things" match.

I have found that those plastic wall covers can be spray painted with anything, any color, to match anything, or change them completely. You can even used the "cracked" style look spray paint, or even the sandstone style paint. It holds up for years and years.

I have also painted the actual recepticals. Before wiring them up, I'll stick paper in the plug slots so spray paint will not get inside where you plug in. After the paint dries, simply pull the paper out and install. This way, the receptacle matches perfect the face plate.

I've learned to never throw an old face plate away. Because they can always be spray painted and used again, and look brand new, and match whatever you are doing in the room.

It's not too late. Remove the face place and spray paint them your color of choice. Personally, I like using Rust-o-lium. But any spray paint that will work with metal will work on plastic also.

Try it, and then you'll have your 2 dominate color difference.

FYI, I have customized spray painted EVERY face plate in my current house. Some are now 10 years old and still no chipping, peeling, or cracking.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
mike-s wrote:
Nice job. Good that you labeled stuff.

Thanks. Hoping that will keep someone from plugging in a hair dryer or something. The color being different than the coach outlets was on purpose too. I kind of wanted black, but they didn't have what I needed at the moment to do that.
2006 F250 Diesel

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. Good that you labeled stuff.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Clean install!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW