cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuned in my Equalizer

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that my Expy has been squating more than it used to, so I decided to make an adjustment today.

The stinger has some wear on the top of it we’re it contacts the top inside of the receiver. This play was enough to take some of the spring/friction bar tension off requiring a tweak from me.

Equalizer recommends seven washers as maximum and this is what I had before and my bars are already parallel with the tounge so I did not want to move them. I added an eight washer to tilt the head more and presto, weight transfer is all good now.

That little thickness of one washer makes a BIG difference in the height of the bars at the end three feet out from the ball! Measured fender wells, test drive and all is great again. Can’t wait to tow early in October. Yay!
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH
9 REPLIES 9

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve put a micrometer on the original washers on my Equalizer and they’re 0.100 +/- a few thousandths. They should provide at least one washer half the thickness with every hitch for fine adjustments. I now use 4 1/2 washers on my Equalizer.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Washers can be had in different thicknesses as well. Maybe not at the hardware store, but in my asst. garage hardware they are. I have always used grade 8 or equivalent, though it may not matter.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to go through the adjustments again. My wife and I are traveling lighter nowadays and we both noticed the tow experience is not as nice as it was (still great, just not as good as we both know it can be).

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
After towing with two of these hitches, we just (today) pulled the trailer with the pads placed on the L brackets. Zinges!! It's quiet. I can't believe the difference going through the neighborhood.
They will slightly change the angle on the bars, but just a smidge.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
This is really a quick adjustment. Originally I thought the seven washer limit was due to possibly running out of sloted hole space on the top bolt, but eight still fit (and two of the eight are wider than the normal .083")

I am within 1/8" of normal front fenderwell measurement and 1 1/8" of normal back fenderwell measurement. On my test run I didnt even air up the tires like I usually do. I will air up for my next trip and I am expecting a dream tow...
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
No chains on the Equalizer 4 point. I set mine up for ease of hitching and unhitching. With the ball coupled, I raise the tongue with the jack until it just starts to lift the rear of the truck. At that point I can push the bars onto their L brackets by hand if on level ground. Raise the jack and it settles with the front of the truck right around half of the 3/8" rise without the bars.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ron3rd wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try that. My setup has been slightly off for a couple years but never enough to get around to re-adjusting everything. I need to put a little more weight on the front end and this might be the ticket. I'm running 7 washers now.

Try tightening it up 1 link on each side. That's the equiv. of half a washer.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try that. My setup has been slightly off for a couple years but never enough to get around to re-adjusting everything. I need to put a little more weight on the front end and this might be the ticket. I'm running 7 washers now.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In the past it has amazed me how one small adjustment can be the difference between a totally squirely pull and a stable one!
BTW, one washer is worth 2 links.