cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on class c

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going with something different in the RV dept. considering a class C used. 2008-2012 range. my main concern are leaks. Is the cabover section with the flexible front section more susceptible to leaks than say a fiberglass cap? I have seen some that are terrible.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky
5 REPLIES 5

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Like everything else, its how previous owner has taken care of it. Thanks for the replies.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Thor Class C, see photo below. We have had no leaks in the cab-over. We have however found rain water in the shower. Not sure where it is coming in. I have checked out the roof and resealed some possibly questionable spots but the water still comes in. There is a vent of some sort on the wall near there and I have sealed that with tape with no luck. Still a mystery.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2004 C in 2008. I think we had a fairly small leak every year at vents, particularly the one above the cabover bed where there is a low area in the metal roofing due to some defect in the 2x2 roof frame probably due to me standing on it before I knew how flimsy the roof was. I just caulked over suspicious spots every spring and it kept on leaking. Finally I got a roll of 4 inch Eternabond, cleaned the thick old caulking off the vents, recaulked not very thick, then put a strip of Eternabond over top. And across the width of the roof along the joint between the plastic cabover and the metal roof. No leaks now for two years. Itโ€™s always outside so I do clean the snow off the roof when it starts to melt.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Cabovers with windows are more prone to leaks than those with no windows. Windows or no - find an RV whose owners have done regular maintenance on roof and the rest of the rig.
Kevin

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2003 Itasca 30 footer 6 years ago. Some leakage was apparent in the ceiling corner just behind the front area. The seller said he had sealed it on the roof and that seems to be true. One other leak just above the front seat area occurred going up a steep grade because a seam on the outside curved part and opened. I think that tape advertised on TV has worked. So, that's 2 leaks in 6 years with a 15 year old unit. We had more with a prior 5th wheel.
Jayco-noslide