cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 pulling near it’s max

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
First time poster, but not new to towing.

I have a 2015 f150 eco boost, non max tow. I regularly pull near my max, but that is with being able to set the load on the trailer to perfectly distribute the weight. Also have a boat that weighs 9-9.5k, but again is set to have a perfect balance, and it typically towed short distances.

That being said, I’m not new to pulling heavy, and I don’t have a lead foot. Now here’s where my question lies. I’m going to Nebraska in late november for a week of pheasant hunting. We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens. Obviously it’ll have a weight distribution hitch, but being that it’s not perfectly set like I set my trailers at home, should I be reconsidering my decision? I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Any advice or input is helpful. Thank you.
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
demiles wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
See, all answers are opinions.
Some feel that a little trip across NE is a large task, others consider it not much more than a trip to the corner Quick Mart.
Some liken the OPs trip to pulling that trailer full time for the next 10 years cross country and some realize he's not talking about a long term relationship between the truck and trailer.
Some feel unsafe or overwhelmed if the trailer is bigger than the truck, some don't care as long as it will pull with relative competency.
Some think a miserable experience is driving anything less than a loaded Escalade, some would cherish a straight piped 1st gen with a stick shift and a turned up pump.
Some like to change the story to one of their own, some address the question at hand without getting out in left field.

So goes the saga. Opinions are like a holes. Everyone has one, and they all stink! Lol

God forbid you present them with facts, it really confuses them.
And some think that they don't need seatbelts as they have never needed them.

This situation is like that.

There are VERY few nowadays that think that seat belts do not work,,,, but some still do not wear them. They understand the risk, and do it anyway.
Just because they took a chance without incident doesn't change the fact that it was a risk.

The OP WILL be over. Even if he does it without incident does not change that fact.

And some people get on line and ask if it's ok to use their phone in a thunderstorm or if they should leave the house if the wind is blowing out of the East.
Yes seat belts save lives, but what is a bigger risk, no seatbelt heading to the corner store or dirtbike on a rocky single track on the steep side of a Mountian?
Should no dirt bikes become a law too? How far do you go to protect yourself or others from the least common denominator?
Should, I only wakeboard where the water is 5' deep or less in case I fall, I can stand up and don't have to swim?
What about cooking? Maybe should only microwave so there's no chance of burning myself on the oven door...but then there's the danger of microwaves.....
Oh gawd, I'm going back to bed. I should move the bed down stairs so no risk of tripping on the stairs....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Marshmallow256 wrote:
Plans have changed. I'm now taking my in-laws 35' 5th wheel, using their f350 dually. They originally were going to be using it for a trip to Arizona, but they had to cancel, so they offered it to us.

Excellent!
Please don't ask about pulling it across Nebraska though.....you'll get questioned as to whether you've analyzed pin weight vs gvw vs rawr and how that may affect the one 10' tall hill west of Kearney. Oh wait that was just an overpass......

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
Plans have changed. I'm now taking my in-laws 35' 5th wheel, using their f350 dually. They originally were going to be using it for a trip to Arizona, but they had to cancel, so they offered it to us.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Some feel that a little trip across NE is a large task, others consider it not much more than a trip to the corner Quick Mart.
Some liken the OPs trip to pulling that trailer full time for the next 10 years cross country and some realize he's not talking about a long term relationship between the truck and trailer.
Some feel unsafe or overwhelmed if the trailer is bigger than the truck, some don't care as long as it will pull with relative competency.
Some think a miserable experience is driving anything less than a loaded Escalade, some would cherish a straight piped 1st gen with a stick shift and a turned up pump.
Some like to change the story to one of their own, some address the question at hand without getting out in left field.

So goes the saga. Opinions are like a holes. Everyone has one, and they all stink! Lol

And some think that they don't need seatbelts as they have never needed them.

This situation is like that.

There are VERY few nowadays that think that seat belts do not work,,,, but some still do not wear them. They understand the risk, and do it anyway.
Just because they took a chance without incident doesn't change the fact that it was a risk.

The OP WILL be over. Even if he does it without incident does not change that fact.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
"My boat has a massive t-top and a huge bow flare, but it ties nicely. It’s trailer does have electric brakes, since I don’t like surge."

Electric brakes on boat trailers are quite rare due to corrosion and being really annoying after the boat is unloaded. My brother put some on his boat trailer but he had a tilt trailer and kept the axle dry plus put a disconnect on the brake circuit. Do you have electric over hydraulic? How do you deal with those issues? I am just curious and hope that you don't mind me asking. Also, I have had pretty good luck with surge brakes but it is hard to find an actuator for trailers over 6000lbs

They’re fully electric. It was custom built by a shop in Florida. All connectors are heat shrinked and I keep them geled up. I hose the whole trailer down after I wash the boat. No issues in the 3 years I’ve had the trailer. It’s typically put in the water on the Chesapeake, but it’s made it’s way to the inlets on the ocean 10-15 times.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"My boat has a massive t-top and a huge bow flare, but it ties nicely. It’s trailer does have electric brakes, since I don’t like surge."

Electric brakes on boat trailers are quite rare due to corrosion and being really annoying after the boat is unloaded. My brother put some on his boat trailer but he had a tilt trailer and kept the axle dry plus put a disconnect on the brake circuit. Do you have electric over hydraulic? How do you deal with those issues? I am just curious and hope that you don't mind me asking. Also, I have had pretty good luck with surge brakes but it is hard to find an actuator for trailers over 6000lbs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"My boat has a massive t-top and a huge bow flare, but it ties nicely. It’s trailer does have electric brakes, since I don’t like surge. My work trailer also has electrics. I installed a tekonsha p3 when I bought the truck back in 15. The truck has the electronic sway control, although I have no idea how it works.

Also, it has load range E tires. I replaced the factory ones at 10k since they had a lot of sidewall flex. "

Boats don't seem to have sway issues nearly as much as campers and for lack of a better reason I have attributed that to the pointed bow of a boat vs the typically boxy front of a camper.

I believe that the sway control works by activating the trailer brakes when sway is detected by the antilock brake system but this only works with the factory brake controller, I could be wrong on that. I just wanted to be sure that you know that a manual intervention on the brake controller can be a big help if you do encounter sway.

"Once your up over 7500lb loaded trailer weight your in 3/4 ton truck territory in my opinion." And my 1991 F250 with the highest tow rating of any pickup built that year was rated for 10,000lbs behind the truck or 12,500lbs on a fifth wheel. The new ones are rated for double to triple that much with a more demanding qualification test. All trucks have increased in capacity since then. I will go with the builder's ratings if you don't mind.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Once your up over 7500lb loaded trailer weight your in 3/4 ton truck territory in my opinion. If 8500 is your actual loaded trailer weight, plus gear and passengers, your asking a lot of any 1/2 ton truck.

It does sound like you know what your doing though. Upgraded tires, great move. Driving slower, good choice.

My biggest concern would be your trucks rear axle weight rating rawr and making sure your within that and not overloading it. You really should hit a cat scale and check your weights before you head west. That is critical information to help you set up your wdh. I have and you can tow heavy with a half ton, but having your wdh dialed in perfectly becomes much more critical.

Good luck and be safe. Sounds like a fun trip.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise Truck, $620 for the week with unlimited mileage and they allow towing on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Marshmallow256 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Marshmallow256 wrote:
We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens.

I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Sound like you do not need the space in the trailer to haul all of your stuff. Is it a possibility to rent something closer to your destination? Between the fuel savings and not dealing with any potential issues, tires, etc may be worth it.

Trust me, I’d sleep in a tent. But my wife will be with us. Along with 3 others adults who are flying out as well. As tough and good of a hunter as my wife is, she’s still a 29 year old white girl who works in dc, and needs her amenities. I’m passing through Omaha on the way to our destination, and I’ve looked along the route, and there’s nothing that works for our sleeping needs any closer.

Don’t worry about the inane responses. That’s the price of admission for asking a question here.
You know how to tow, it sounds. You’re not in a hurry (although the Eco will tow it as fast as you want to push the pedal for the most part) and you’re driving across NE. Other than the chance of a snow storm, nothing wrong with your plan.
Some folks act like towing a few hundred miles on flat ground is a chore or an accomplishment. For some it’s just a daily routine.

Geez, tough crowd. They asked for input and I suggested renting closer to the destination based on their intended use. I never said do not rent. Only offering a possible suggestion to minimize any potential issues based on their description. I guess that is my fault for reading too much into "Any advice or input is helpful"

Why tug a heavy trailer 700 miles you do not own if an option is to pick one up closer and make the drive cheaper, easier and faster.

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Since you are going to be mostly on flat ground weight really isn't the issue, frontal area wind drag is. This camper may have a lot more wind drag than your boat. Also, campers seem to get a lot more wind induced sway than boats and have electric brakes instead of surge brakes. Since you are willing to slow down some that can help a lot with the wind drag. Beware of sway and do you have a brake controller for the electric brakes? Remember that a light touch on the electric brakes will get most sway under control if that becomes an issue.

My boat has a massive t-top and a huge bow flare, but it ties nicely. It’s trailer does have electric brakes, since I don’t like surge. My work trailer also has electrics. I installed a tekonsha p3 when I bought the truck back in 15. The truck has the electronic sway control, although I have no idea how it works.

Also, it has load range E tires. I replaced the factory ones at 10k since they had a lot of sidewall flex.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Marshmallow256 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Marshmallow256 wrote:
We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens.

I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Sound like you do not need the space in the trailer to haul all of your stuff. Is it a possibility to rent something closer to your destination? Between the fuel savings and not dealing with any potential issues, tires, etc may be worth it.

Trust me, I’d sleep in a tent. But my wife will be with us. Along with 3 others adults who are flying out as well. As tough and good of a hunter as my wife is, she’s still a 29 year old white girl who works in dc, and needs her amenities. I’m passing through Omaha on the way to our destination, and I’ve looked along the route, and there’s nothing that works for our sleeping needs any closer.

Don’t worry about the inane responses. That’s the price of admission for asking a question here.
You know how to tow, it sounds. You’re not in a hurry (although the Eco will tow it as fast as you want to push the pedal for the most part) and you’re driving across NE. Other than the chance of a snow storm, nothing wrong with your plan.
Some folks act like towing a few hundred miles on flat ground is a chore or an accomplishment. For some it’s just a daily routine.