cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newmar Canyon Star

2013K1600GT
Explorer
Explorer
My floor is starting to buckle due to some moisture. I am going to replace it myself. I was thinking of vinyl plank flooring but the installation instruction say "do not install in an RV."
Has anyone done this or know why they say not to install in an RV?
10 REPLIES 10

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of vinyl flooring on the market and your description could apply to any number of products. Allure is a floating vinyl plank product that many have used - it's pretty easy to install, flexible, and looks good.
Kevin

2013K1600GT
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
2013K1600GT wrote:
Looks like the joint between the shower pan and shower wall is leaking. So before I go any further I will be recaulking the shower.

If it's a rather typical two-piece plastic shower unit (with a floor pan and a separate thin wall), the joint between the two is not supposed to be caulked. The wall piece overlaps the floor pan sufficiently to prevent water from splashing up and out, or at least that's what is intended. Caulking it probably won't help, and the caulking will probably pull loose pretty quickly due to relative movement between the pieces (or, if it doesn't, cause something else to give way).

If it's some other type of shower unit, then disregard what I wrote as quite possibly inapplicable.

It was caulked before. I recaulked it a couple years ago. There are gaps between the walls and pan.
So if caulking it wonโ€™t do any good whatโ€™s the fix?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
2013K1600GT wrote:
Looks like the joint between the shower pan and shower wall is leaking. So before I go any further I will be recaulking the shower.

If it's a rather typical two-piece plastic shower unit (with a floor pan and a separate thin wall), the joint between the two is not supposed to be caulked. The wall piece overlaps the floor pan sufficiently to prevent water from splashing up and out, or at least that's what is intended. Caulking it probably won't help, and the caulking will probably pull loose pretty quickly due to relative movement between the pieces (or, if it doesn't, cause something else to give way).

If it's some other type of shower unit, then disregard what I wrote as quite possibly inapplicable.

2013K1600GT
Explorer
Explorer

2013K1600GT
Explorer
Explorer
I am working on the moisture issue now. Obviously I must figure that out before replacing the floor. I will be checking out the shower pan in a few minutes.

Bruce_Brown
2gypsies wrote:
Have you first solved the problem of the moisture?

This one should be answered before anything else is done or any other work started.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
2013K1600GT wrote:
My floor is starting to buckle due to some moisture. I am going to replace it myself. I was thinking of vinyl plank flooring but the installation instruction say "do not install in an RV."
Has anyone done this or know why they say not to install in an RV?

I think the reason is that vinyl expands and contracts a good bit with changes in temperature. This is why the direction say keep a 3/8 gap at all perimeters, so it could shift. The movement of the rig might cause it also. That being said, what I have in my new Jayco appears to be vinyl flooring, although it might be a wood composite. I'm sure some guys here have installed vinyl in their rigs and I haven't heard any bad things.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The instructions STATE to not install in an RV. Who cares what anybody on this or other forums say?????? Doug

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you first solved the problem of the moisture?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search and you will find lots of recommendations for vinyl plank flooring.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE