Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I buy??

Sborish
Explorer
Explorer
Hello RV Enthusiats,

My wife and I have been contemplating buying a rv for a couple of years now. We’ve been renting about twice a year costing upwards of $1500 each time.

Low and behold someone in our neighborhood is selling theirs! It is a 1984 Itasca Sunflyer 22’. Perfect size for us. I think they will sell it to us for $6500?

I know the underlying concerns are many. This family has a very nice house, they take great care of their cars and the RV is immaculate with only 33,000 miles. The husband is a former mechanic and holds an important job with a public school district. Of course we do not want to spend a bunch of money on an rv and the styling and condition of this rv really appeals to us.

Curious is anyone has experience with this rv and may have any info on red flags before we make the purchase.

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
19 REPLIES 19

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fyrflie wrote:
Walaby wrote:
fyrflie wrote:
Nadaguides shows a low retail price of $8500 without any options using a California zip code.

Maybe because it's California. I personally can't see spending that kind of money on a 30+ year old RV.

I put in a random Georgia zip code, near Atlanta, and Nada returned the same pricing.

That is because the free online version is generalized. Its not the same as the paid subscrition.

When you put in the zip code it goes into a database along with the particular brand/model and that's then analyzed and used to analyze demand, along with lots of other data they collect, that ends up in the regional subscription versions such as estimated market values in geographical regions.

It works well with cars and other motor vehicles, not so much with the limited RV market and its constantly changing brands and models made in limited quantities.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
It won't have fuel injection, and I would not touch a carburetor. Carbs have to be used regular and frequently or you will have lots of trouble with them. I mean like driving it every week, even if its only to Wal-Mart and to the grocery and back. Fuel injection doesn't seem to care how long it sits, I don't understand why, but that is the way it is.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
fyrflie wrote:
Nadaguides shows a low retail price of $8500 without any options using a California zip code.

Maybe because it's California. I personally can't see spending that kind of money on a 30+ year old RV.

I put in a random Georgia zip code, near Atlanta, and Nada returned the same pricing.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears you know the family and you know their background and how their home and yard is kept up. I think you could get some good RVing out of it IF they've been using it regularly and it hasn't just be stored without use. That's not a lot of money lost if you have to have a major repair. Sell it for parts.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Put it all in perspective...
An overseas vacation for two weeks will cost you more.
If you get five years out of it then sell it for half what it cost you, did you lose money?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
fyrflie wrote:

Mike

I'd much rather spend that kind of money for a 30 year old RV that's in good shape and has been well maintained than on a 10 year old RV that has not been properly maintained!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Sborish wrote:
Hello RV Enthusiats,

My wife and I have been contemplating buying a rv for a couple of years now. We’ve been renting about twice a year costing upwards of $1500 each time.

Low and behold someone in our neighborhood is selling theirs! It is a 1984 Itasca Sunflyer 22’. Perfect size for us. I think they will sell it to us for $6500?

I know the underlying concerns are many. This family has a very nice house, they take great care of their cars and the RV is immaculate with only 33,000 miles. The husband is a former mechanic and holds an important job with a public school district. Of course we do not want to spend a bunch of money on an rv and the styling and condition of this rv really appeals to us.

Curious is anyone has experience with this rv and may have any info on red flags before we make the

Seems like very low milage for such old rig,,could be that someone turned the odometer back!?

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fyrflie wrote:

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III

Don’t know where everyone else gets their information.

However, make sure you do a good inspection of major ticket items. I.e. tires, roof, fridge, etc.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would only consider buying an RV that old if it was garage kept. The sun and weather should have taken a serious toll by now if it sat outside.

LazzzyCat
Explorer
Explorer
Why do they justify such a high price?

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Offer them $4000 and stop the negotiating at $4500.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well if its low mileage and well cared for as you stated than its worth more than $2000 as some have said, $4500 to $5500 would be a good price if its in the condition you stated..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Walaby wrote:

Not sure that him holding an 'important job' in the school district is a criteria for why buy the RV.. maybe as opposed to an unimportant job?

Bottom line - 34 year old RV wouldn't be worth $6500 regardless of condition.

Mike

Agree that sounds like too much money regardless of the condition.

However, Walaby, you'd do good to take note of how the OP is analyzing the character of the sellers when considering a used purchase rather than responding in the most literal sense.
To the OP's, I would only buy something that old if A. my budget didn't allow for newer (not because of the cousin Eddy looking camper, but because components that old are more prone to failure regardless of use than newer ones, in general. And because fuel injection and more modern electronics are for the most part more preferable, especially when the old style stuff is also really old).
Or B. if I was handy with all the systems and ready or willing to put some time/$/work into it as needed. You could easily spend 2-3x the purchase price (assuming 2-3 grand purchase, not 6) keeping it on the road. Need to be pretty saavy IMO to buy a potential project, or be ready to spend, in which case, buy newer IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold