Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiberglass roof replacement

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

New member with major questions. Just bought our 1st Class A. Learned alot ot lessons already....so entire roof will need replaced in and out due to water damage, been pricing it out and will accomplish this on our own. I've watched many many videos and see that most fiberglass roofs go around the roof radius, ours does not. has separate radius cap. any helpful info would be great. anyone else have this also?
14 REPLIES 14

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Curious, HOW LONG and HOW MUCH money do you think it will be to get the RV ready? This is NOT like rebuilding a house. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it were me, with a bad filon roof, I would peel off all that I could and replace all of the luan plywood that has rotted. Then I would contact one of the guys that sprays bedliner on trucks and have them coat the entire roof with a white permanent solution. Then you can reinstall your AC unit and roof vents.
The spraying takes a few hours and the next day it is cured and ready to go.

Bruce_Brown
An ozone machine would also be a good idea.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Finding more when you get home is not uncommon, probably more like the norm. The smell is a combination of dry rot and mold. No quick remedies except maybe a dehumidifier would help; I mean a machine, not the Dry's the air stuff. Keep it covered to stop any more damage. You could also put a hepa filter in it to catch mold spores.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
we got for 20k under anything else for the age/mileage. Unfortunately we found more wrong after arrived home. Like I said many lessons learned but for what we have invested we need move forward and get over it.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
That smell might be mold, I hope you got this very cheap..

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
very musty smell interior as roof had not been fixed by previous owner in a very timely manner. Any quick remedies for help with that?

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
the luan inside is bad in places, and exterior roof is very delaminated, rood sealed up for this year as winter is closing in here in ND exterior will be in spring. We will be using this often as our young boys race motocross.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Is the inside damaged or just a few stains, cause if the inside is still ok just do the top layer outside or seal over the old roof with white snow roofing material.

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
my roof is aluminum framed so trusses wont br an issue... As far as being a large job yes I know. but saving thousands of dollars is sure nice also.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I helped a guy fix his fiberglass roof because it was disinegrating. Your looking at a very big job.

Vogelsang214
Explorer
Explorer
I will rebuild with new filon, lauan (luan) exterior and new lauan interior with padded marine vinyl. just curious if anyone has they same roof (stopping on top of rv vs rounding radius edge). or done this also.

2006 forest river Charleston 400ts.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace the fiberglass with new. You can buy it in sheets to fit your rig. You can do it. Take off the items on the roof, remove the caulking that covers the sealing strips, and remove the strips. Get advice on the proper caulking (Dicor?) Remove and duplicate the damaged trusses etc. If you can do the job in a covered enclosure would be ideal. Pick up new seals for the air conditioner. Note whether they have used any adhesive etc. It's a big job, but just take it step by step and you'll succeed.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "assume" that the fiberglass is OK and you need to rebuild the wooden trusses/supports/etc. as they are rotted out? why not just rebuild like original?
bumpy