cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blown Engine - 40" V10 Newmar

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
My friends heading home to Ranchita CA from Meeker Co. Engine blew outside Fruita Co. They have an extended warranty and are getting nothing but grief from the Warranty Co. Now this company wants to send an inspector for a 2nd opinion - They are at wits end - found a mechanic but Co. wont cover unless they get their inspection in. Please!! Any advice for my friends will be greatly appreciated!!! They are really getting the run around and are great folks!!!
Ted and Kath
2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD 150 Series
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies
63 REPLIES 63

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Herdingdog wrote:
25,500 miles, v10, 6.8 liter. # 9 & 10 pistons only have 30 lbs of pressure. No idea why

Any decent mechanic can do something called a "leak down" test. It is a much better diagnostic tool than a simple compression test. That would cost a couple hundred dollars, but it would tell you specifically what is wrong, either intake or exhaust valves or rings.

I wonder if this was ever done ?

My gut says it is likely something in the valve train. Bent/stuck valve, etc.

I would sure like to hear "the rest of the story" !

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
That's one of the "advantages" of having an extended warranty. If they want the extended warranty to pay they have to abide by their rules. No ifs, ands, or maybes otherwise they foot the bill.

By the way, there is no such thing as a 40 anything Newmar with a V-10.

You're right about the length anyway, as Newmar's larger Canyon Star's are only 39' 11"..... :W

That sounds like my air force captain brother--40 vs. 39.11. When I'd tell someone it was 5 miles to walmart from my house he would correct me and say it was 5.114 miles--and MEAN IT! Oh, he would also tell you that the poster said it was a 40" Newmar--not 40' :B

Or.......I could've said that they do indeed make a 40' gasser...:S
Our coach is typically called a 40, but many advertise the 40E floor plan, like ours, as a 41. It actually measures just a little under 41ft, so not 40 or 41 for being exact.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
That's one of the "advantages" of having an extended warranty. If they want the extended warranty to pay they have to abide by their rules. No ifs, ands, or maybes otherwise they foot the bill.

By the way, there is no such thing as a 40 anything Newmar with a V-10.

You're right about the length anyway, as Newmar's larger Canyon Star's are only 39' 11"..... :W

That sounds like my air force captain brother--40 vs. 39.11. When I'd tell someone it was 5 miles to walmart from my house he would correct me and say it was 5.114 miles--and MEAN IT! Oh, he would also tell you that the poster said it was a 40" Newmar--not 40' :B
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
timmac wrote:
tderonne wrote:
timmac wrote:

Well I like playing it safe, besides its best to never run at or near max for long term, I feel as experience with the same motor/trans as in this thread that 27,500 lbs should be max for this motor, this way there is some room for the motor not over working in the mountains and blowing a piston or head gasket, yes many have gone many miles at max load but they are riding on borrowed time for that weak link to blow..

Ford F650 and F750 are available with the V10. They have a GCWR of 37,000 pounds.

2018 F650/F750 brochure

Yea Ford just keeps upping the weight capacity of the V-10 to keep the sales going, I truly believe at 37,000 lbs the V-10 will be lugging in the mountains, or at best doing 25 mph thru the Rockies..

I was able to maintain around 45 mph thru the Rockies with 26,500 lbs but still felt this was a safe max before lugging the motorhome, 37,000lbs heck I would have been holding up traffic for miles..

Surly some diesel fans would back me up on this..

Well, 362HP is 362HP, no matter the RPM necessary for achieving it.
As for the torque though, 460lb ft isn't going to get it, no matter how much it screams and like 1150lb ft or more would, with a 400HP Diesel, lumbering along at 1400 RPM or so.

That in itself, never fails to fascinate me on those long 6% grades, with an engine that's mounted nearly 40ft behind us and no more than fast idling, while passing quite a few trucks, with the Jeep in tow.

Yes, but not everybody has a 40’er with a Jeep in tow.

A thermo-nuclear warhead will kill a fly, but so will a fly swatter from the dollar store.
LMAO!:B Yes, but just like horseshoes, hand grenades and Nuclear weapons, close counts.
Wildmanbaker

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
tropical36 wrote:
timmac wrote:
tderonne wrote:
timmac wrote:

Well I like playing it safe, besides its best to never run at or near max for long term, I feel as experience with the same motor/trans as in this thread that 27,500 lbs should be max for this motor, this way there is some room for the motor not over working in the mountains and blowing a piston or head gasket, yes many have gone many miles at max load but they are riding on borrowed time for that weak link to blow..

Ford F650 and F750 are available with the V10. They have a GCWR of 37,000 pounds.

2018 F650/F750 brochure

Yea Ford just keeps upping the weight capacity of the V-10 to keep the sales going, I truly believe at 37,000 lbs the V-10 will be lugging in the mountains, or at best doing 25 mph thru the Rockies..

I was able to maintain around 45 mph thru the Rockies with 26,500 lbs but still felt this was a safe max before lugging the motorhome, 37,000lbs heck I would have been holding up traffic for miles..

As for the torque though, 460lb ft isn't going to get it, no matter how much it screams and like 1150lb ft or more would, with a 400HP Diesel, lumbering along at 1400 RPM or so.

That in itself, never fails to fascinate me on those long 6% grades, with an engine that's mounted nearly 40ft behind us and no more than fast idling, while passing quite a few trucks, with the Jeep in tow.

Yes, but not everybody has a 40’er with a Jeep in tow.

A thermo-nuclear warhead will kill a fly, but so will a fly swatter from the dollar store.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Herdingdog wrote:
Sadly they have given up on the Extended Service Company - the wait for the inspector is 2 weeks - and they want to get back home with the 6 dogs and a Ranch waiting with animals to feed. They are going to tow the rig home $5000I'd like to say US Travel Care is a horrible Company and should rename to US Travel Doesn't Care!!!
WOW. I would rent an SUV to get home and have the V-10 repaired where located. That $5,000 would go nicely toward a crate V-10 replacement.

Yep I agree. they are not thinking this through clearly!
I agree. If they are willing to throw away $5K on towing why not just pay to have it fixed there? They may be good people according to op but don't seem very bright. Getting in a hurry can cost you a lot of money.

Indeed, $5k will buy you an actual Ford factory (with Ford warranty) reman’d engine.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
tderonne wrote:
timmac wrote:

2018 F650/F750 brochure

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Herdingdog wrote:
Sadly they have given up on the Extended Service Company - the wait for the inspector is 2 weeks - and they want to get back home with the 6 dogs and a Ranch waiting with animals to feed. They are going to tow the rig home $5000I'd like to say US Travel Care is a horrible Company and should rename to US Travel Doesn't Care!!!
WOW. I would rent an SUV to get home and have the V-10 repaired where located. That $5,000 would go nicely toward a crate V-10 replacement.

I agree. If they are willing to throw away $5K on towing why not just pay to have it fixed there? They may be good people according to op but don't seem very bright. Getting in a hurry can cost you a lot of money.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
tderonne wrote:
timmac wrote:

2018 F650/F750 brochure

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Herdingdog wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

2018 F650/F750 brochure
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herdingdog wrote:

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Warranty but a SERVICE CONTRACT.Never ask what a service covers but ask what it does not cover.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it depends if it's your RV or not.