Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter charger upgrade?

bzp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey motorhome and I recently upgraded my house batteries to three 12V AGM batteries. The new batteries work great but my current converter charger is not capable of charging them in a reasonable time. My current charger is a Parallax 13.6 VDC, 55 amp model 7455 that was original equipment on my coach. The charger seems to be working correctly but it appears to have two deficiencies:
1) It does not have adequate charging voltage (especially in the initial charging stage. 2) It automatically reduces charging current long before the batteries have a full charge.

I am considering buying one of the new 55 Amp multi-stage chargers that charge with high voltage initially and turn down as appropriate as the batteries reach full charge. I would like to use my current wiring which is 6 AWG and I believe the max rated current through that cable is 60 amps. Therefore, I think I am limited to no more than a 55 amp charger.

Am I on the right track for this do-it yourself project? Will the exisiting 12VDC components in my 2004 vintage coach handle 14.7 VDC during the high voltage charge stage? Should I bite the bullit and change out the wiring to allow a higher amp charger (my batteries can handle up to 190 amps)?

Your thoughts and Wisedom will be greatly appreciated.

BZP
11 REPLIES 11

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
bzp said:

"but my current converter charger is not capable of charging them in a reasonable time."

I'm curious as I've never checked how long it takes to charge my house batteries and I'm wondering what you are calling "a reasonable time."
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

bzp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I have Three (3) Cabela's Advanced AGM Series 30 batteries. The specs say they float charge at 13.6-13.8 volts and cycle service charge at 14.6-14.8 volts. I will definitely contact Best Converter and get their input so I can make the best choice for my needs. However, I would still like to know your thoughts about any impacts to my existing 12V RV components (refrigerator, Powerline Energy monitor, fans, other appliances, etc). I have a newer ProWatt SW 600 inverter and don't expect it would be a problem.
Thanks again for your help,
BZP

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to go with a good converter here is what I used: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9200-series-rv-power-converters/
FMCA member

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
firemedic1992 wrote:
Talk to BestConverter, Iโ€™ve dealt with them when replacing my Parallax converter and they were a great help!

I agree with this ^^ I believe Randy is the converter guy and he knows his stuff!

But DON'T let him sell you a WFCO

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic1992 wrote:
Talk to BestConverter, Iโ€™ve dealt with them when replacing my Parallax converter and they were a great help!

I agree with this ^^ I believe Randy is the converter guy and he knows his stuff!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You also mentioned 14.7 volts. AGM sometimes say no more than 14.4 volts.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You don't necessarily need to remove you present wire and might be able to piggy back another run. Need to check the lug size on the new converter. They also make adapter lug fittings with larger openings.

As they said above about your battery specs. It may be more trouble but now is the time to buy what you really need.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
What does your battery manual say for charging recommendations? What brand batteries?

AGM need careful attention to state of charge and regularly achieving full charge or you can give them an early death by walking down the state of charge. The key to SOC is charge current acceptance at a specified voltage. Itโ€™s not as simple as sticking a hydrometer in an open cell battery.

If those are Lifeline brand for example, 60 amps or so would be the minimum recommended charge current and the full charge when it tapers to about 1.5 amps at 14.4 volts.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this before on a prior RV. You may want to consider upgrading the wiring if possible. Depending on the wire path it may be more difficult. I purchased a $50 60,000 psi wire crimping tool at Harbor Freight Tools. Yes you can simply install a 60 amp 3 (or 4) stage converter however depending on your usage you may be disappointed. I have a 90 amp version I installed in my cargo trailer. It sounds like a lot but it isnโ€™t. 100 amps at 12 v is only 1200 watts. At 120 v thatโ€™s only 10 amps! Iโ€™m assuming that your coach doesnโ€™t have any inverter. If it does or you plan on adding one a small converter wonโ€™t work.
FMCA member