Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braking Issue on Fleetwood Flair

jmcneese00
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
First time posting and new to rving! I am in need of some help on my new to me 1996 Fleetwood Flair. It is on a Chevrolet P30 chasis. I have searched for an answer to my problem but have not found an exact match to the problems that I am experiencing.

Here is my issue:
After braking hard such as coming off of an interstate exit ramp or coming off a hill, I am getting a major vibration after stopping and starting again. It doesn't shake or anything while stopping. After a few miles down the road the vibration or bouncing goes away. The best way I can describe the vibration is it is similar to a wheel being loose or out of balance. It is a pretty noticable bounce or vibration and is speed related. I can keep it from doing it if I don't brake hard.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jake
9 REPLIES 9

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I had the exact same problem this spring. My passenger side caliper was the problem. I changed the rotor and hub assemblies with new bearings, the calipers, the brake pads and the brake hoses. I got all the parts from Napa.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
jmcneese00 wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses! I am going to look into each of the areas mentioned.
I don't know if there are beads or powder in the tires or not. I didn't put these tires on. It feels just like a flat spot on the tire so could that be similar to how the beads or powder would act? Also is there any way to know if it has beads in it without breaking down the tire?

Thanks again,
Jake

Typically I think you can hear them rolling around when starting out and sometimes after a stop. I know my Centramatics, which are sort of a bit similar, make a very distinctive sound when tooling around at low speeds, kind of a shooka-shooka-shooka sound.

Since the problem doesn't go away with speed but rather with time, I would be very surprised if it's tire balance beads or something similar. They ought to get themselves distributed and sorted out at a relatively low speed, maybe 25-35 mph, below where you tend to feel out of balance wheels/tires. I'd guess a warped rotor and a somewhat sticky caliper, or something along those lines, but that's just a guess.

jmcneese00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the responses! I am going to look into each of the areas mentioned.
I don't know if there are beads or powder in the tires or not. I didn't put these tires on. It feels just like a flat spot on the tire so could that be similar to how the beads or powder would act? Also is there any way to know if it has beads in it without breaking down the tire?

Thanks again,
Jake

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Did your last tire guy sell you "balancing beads"? They seem to help keep tires balanced but a sudden stop can lump the stuff together for a short period of time making a bumpy ride until they redistribute themselves.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
The P chassis have had a problem with front brake hoses.
The hose will fail internally and act as a check valve and not release pressure.
I had that problem with a 1983 Winnie and a 1989 Southwind class A's.
If you can look at the calipers you should see that rusted/overheated look.
Also if you go to buy the new hoses you need to take the old hoses to match them up. The hose/frame bracket is different on some units.

boggerr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a caliper hanging up or could be slide pins.
If your steering wheel shakes when it happens it’s front if not start with the rear. What you can do is take it for a ride to get it hot, hit the brakes hard to get the problem to start and as soon as it stops shaking pull off in a safe area. Walk around and put your hand near the lug nuts, you should feel more heat on the one that’s acting up
04 Crossroads Silverado 32CK
08 F350 SRW 6.4 Powerstroke

jmcneese00
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t looked at the rotors and brake pads yet, at least not with the wheels off. Figured that’s probably where I should start. It kind of seems like a warped rotor but it seemed odd to me that it only acts up when the brakes get hot and not when they are applied. I don’t know about the brake fluid. The RV is new to me so I’m sure it could stand a good flushing. I will also look into the master cylinder. Thanks for the replies!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Master Cylinder.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
When was the last time you looked at the brake pads and rotors? While you're at it, when was the brake fluid last flushed?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE