cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

error message on truck

tc1
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone might have some input. On our truck an error messages flashes with an explanation point and a message asking if the trailer is connected along with beeping here and there. We have had two dealers look at it and they can find nothing wrong. My husband took his truck in to be checked and they also could find nothing wrong. We picked it up yesterday from the RV center and was ready to leave on vacation and it started again. We now have another appointment somewhere else tomorrow morning. Thanks for taking the time to read!
16 REPLIES 16

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Dad's 2015 Silverado 2500 with IBC will occasionally give the "service trailer brakes" alert when NOTHING is connected! Dealer can't find any problems either.

Do some diagnostic testing. Try the trailer with a different truck. Try the truck with a different trailer. Which does the error message "follow?"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jdbuck21
Explorer
Explorer
I had this issue with my 2016 chev 3500. The chev connectors in the bed of the truck do not make a good connection with my trailer plug. Used dielectric grease and sprayed it in the plug and problem went away.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my opinion the above post is spot on!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
An intermittent problem with the trailer wiring is nearly impossible for the RV shop to find unless they've pulled the wires out and physically examined them and even then it's difficult.

If if were me, if just run new wire from the plug to the brakes. Odds are it's undersized anyway and you'll end up with better braking.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
So who do you believe? GM or the RV Center? I know which way I'd bet on.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

tc1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies. This has gotten to be crazy. The RV center said everything mentioned is good and we are now waiting for GM to call. We took the truck in again somewhere else today and all is fine. Everything is supposedly great but the alarm is still going off. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 Chevy I drive for work would give the "Service Trailer Brakes!" message when hooked to my flatbed. After lots of looking I discovered a bare spot on the brake wire where it entered the axle tube on one side. I tapped it up good with electrical tape and that solved the problem.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
95% of electrical issues on truck/trailer combinations is the ground at the trailer. loosen, clean and retighten the ground connections
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Bad plug on either the truck or trailer

+2 on that. Plug or receptcale
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rirish1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem and after many nonproductive visits to RV service and Chevy. I replaced the brake wires that were run through the inside of the axles (thinking there was a worn wire resulting in a short). I never had the problem again.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would bet the brake wires are run through the axle, and you have a bare spot worn in the wire, cuasing a intermitent short.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My guess would be bad trailer wiring that is loose or partially broken. Maybe a loose or corroded ground wire. My utility trailer is 13 yrs old and was doing that. I found a bad ground on one tail light and broken wires under the trailer. I replaced all the wiring and the problem went away.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Bad plug on either the truck or trailer

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has a light for problems with the trailer brake wiring.