cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel tailgate

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Husky Liner tailgate. Any reviews or comments on a better choice?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
25 REPLIES 25

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
I had one on my 2014 Ram 2500. Loved it for towing. Eliminated most of the turbulence in the bed when towing the 5er.
After I sold the 5er, I put my factory tailgate on and the Husky resides in the garage.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, we have matching tailgates except for the latch, mine doesnโ€™t lock

I got mine from a buddy so it needed a repaint. Iโ€™ve got a dark blue truck and decided to leave it black as it matches well with the spray in bedliner. Yours looks very good in the same way.

Last year I needed to replace one latch and have the phone number for the place in Canada. If you want it let me know.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Looking at Husky Liner tailgate. Any reviews or comments on a better choice?

Topic has been on here often - try a search.

Good, Better, Best $$- ? - you decide!

Best reason to have one - besides being able to leave TG "up" for hitching, is factory TGs are frequently (and often, easily) stolen.
(If you use the factory gate, be sure to have theft prevention of some sort!)

In twenty some years of P/ups, I have never had a factory TG stolen -
('cause they are usually in storage in my garage, LOL) although
I know folks who had their factory TGs "grow legs".

Has some relevance to where you live - but more to where you travel.

Good luck with your decision.

~

I guess if someone were to steal your factory tailgate you'd have reason to buy a 5th wheel tailgate that no one would steal.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Looks great!

So great that it forced me to go order some bumper vinyl dye. LOL.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Looks great!
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, Husky Liner got out of the tailgate business and I could not find my tailgate in stock anywhere. I ended up getting the Custom Flow and the black looks better than I thought it would, so not going to paint at this point. Installation medium easy to get striker points lined up with the latches. I found this gate for just under $350 so I don't think I could expect anymore than what I got.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
I landed on the Husky by default as it was the only one I saw that one could stand on after I looked at the cheaper plastic ones. As for price, I have a site that is selling the Husky for $474.

Comparing the Customflow to the Husky, I don't know if the weight difference between steel and aluminum makes a plug nickels difference. My truck is silver and didn't think that the black would be a great match and maybe the natural aluminum would look better?

That's a good price, assuming it is the same style I looked at. Whether bare aluminum will look good is just preference I guess. It will corrode if you have salty roads in your area. I do agree, black might not look good unless you also have a black tonneau cover.

Weight shouldn't be an issue. Either one is going to weigh a lot less than the OEM you will be lifting every time you change it out.

I noticed both have the center mounted latch handle, which I think is a nice feature to have. The Customflow uses the same key as the storage compartments that most of us have on our RV's. Some would consider that a plus (I do) others would rightfully say that isn't very secure.
2006 F250 Diesel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
For the OP...

That Husky v-gate looks pretty good. It is aluminum, and I believe it comes bare, so you'll probably want to paint it to keep it looking good. Reviews are good.

I'm just curious why you chose it? Using Amazon prices, the Husky is in the $700 range, and a Customflow is in the $450 range. The Customflow is steel, and comes powder coated black. As I said, just curious if maybe the aluminum construction was something you preferred.

I think both are plenty strong to walk or sit on, which was something I required and that ruled out any of the plastic ones for me.

I bent mine slightly last weekend. Backed up into my pin, which was about an inch too low to clear. And I was looking right at it as I did it, just had it in my mind that it was going to clear and I guess I didn't believe what my eyes were telling me. Something about getting older. Anyway, no real damage just a little ding, hardly noticeable. It's the steel Customflow.

I landed on the Husky by default as it was the only one I saw that one could stand on after I looked at the cheaper plastic ones. As for price, I have a site that is selling the Husky for $474.

Comparing the Customflow to the Husky, I don't know if the weight difference between steel and aluminum makes a plug nickels difference. My truck is silver and didn't think that the black would be a great match and maybe the natural aluminum would look better?

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
For the OP...

That Husky v-gate looks pretty good. It is aluminum, and I believe it comes bare, so you'll probably want to paint it to keep it looking good. Reviews are good.

I'm just curious why you chose it? Using Amazon prices, the Husky is in the $700 range, and a Customflow is in the $450 range. The Customflow is steel, and comes powder coated black. As I said, just curious if maybe the aluminum construction was something you preferred.

I think both are plenty strong to walk or sit on, which was something I required and that ruled out any of the plastic ones for me.

I bent mine slightly last weekend. Backed up into my pin, which was about an inch too low to clear. And I was looking right at it as I did it, just had it in my mind that it was going to clear and I guess I didn't believe what my eyes were telling me. Something about getting older. Anyway, no real damage just a little ding, hardly noticeable. It's the steel Customflow.
2006 F250 Diesel

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ours is a Go Industries V-Gate and I had it powdercoated to match the truck. Looks good, and works like it should. I don't believe I paid those prices for my gate, I'm too cheap to spend that much, but I don't remember where I got it.

Can you stand on the Go Gate?
That's not an issue, the gate is very strong. I climb on it to get in the bed and it supports my 190 lbs. with no give to it. I step on the louvers when it's open without any worry.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Ours is a Go Industries V-Gate and I had it powdercoated to match the truck. Looks good, and works like it should. I don't believe I paid those prices for my gate, I'm too cheap to spend that much, but I don't remember where I got it.

Can you stand on the Go Gate?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Tailgate up, down , vented or solid is not just an rvers question. Aerodynamically for fuel mileage by every study an in bed cargo full gate is best. Its about the vortexes created in the bed.

Keep your tailgate.

With my old Komfort, I had extreme turbulence in the bed. On windy days it verged on uncomfortable. Using a vented v-gate alleviated almost all of it. I've only towed my new KZ a few times and it seems much more aerodynamic and I seem to have much less turbulence in the bed with my standard gate. I've not yet taken a long enough trip to warrant swapping the gates to see if there's any difference, but I do plan on it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Have had a Custom Flow used on two trucks, two fifth wheels and like it a lot. Came to ne free from a buddy who changed to a Dodge, a body shop buddy painted it for free. Free is a good thing. As noted itโ€™s a sturdy tailgate, probably the best thing about it is the visibility it provides to the rear.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB