Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing a 2018 Equinox 1.5 FWD

BigKahuna555
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Group;

Need some help.

We had the blue ox towing system behind our 2013 Tiffin Allegro LA V10 motorhome the other day. We also had the Patriot 2 braking system installed, as that was the recommended braking system to use.

All was good and all was checked before we left the install place. About 10 miles down the road, my wife notices smoke from the towed vehicle. (She was following behind me and it's a good thing, or this could have been a complete disaster). We stopped and we see a small fire on the right front brake and had to use the RV fire extinguisher to put out the flame.

I disconnected the Patriot 2 brake system and we proceeded home without any other problems. Went to the GM dealer and the front brakes need to be completely redone (rotors, callipers, pads, hoses, backing etc.) The dealer said, either there was a problem with the install or the patriot 2 failed. Went back to the people who installed the unit and they are perplexed as to what happened. (They are going to cover the cost of the brakes and will take the patriot 2 system back).

Now I have no confidence in that patriot system and I don't know what happened or why? Will this be the same with a different product? Has anyone else had this problem (The RF control info in the motorhome, didn't even register a problem and we had the force set at 3.) Are the brakes that sensitive in the equinox that any pressure caused by the patriot 2 would be enough to cause the brake damage? (No problem on the rear brakes of the Equinox). Why was there no warning on the RF controller (says it will turn red, if there is an immediate problem). That did not happen.

I have heard that the Air Force Duo Play is perhaps a better option? Not sure. or do you believe that the patriot two was the problem itself and that a new unit would work.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
3 REPLIES 3

BigKahuna555
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your posts. Checked into the vehicle brake system and it appears that is not the issue. Does anyone know why the patriot 2 has to be restarted every time the vehicle is restarted?

Thanks again...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've towed ours for four years with no problems other than the electric steering which GM has rectified. I use the Night Shift Auto ReadyBrute system. It's a great system because there's no electric involved. This system uses surge brakes to operate. Easy hook up. With the Equinox, you'll need an extra wire to hook up your electric so you don't run it's battery down. Below are links to ReadyBrute's system and a write up about the battery charger. IMO, the system is foolproof..Regardless of the system, be sure to look at their ReadyStop. For $100 you protect yourself and others on the road....Dennis

ReadyBrute

Adding a battery charger to toad

Edited due to my responding before coffee....:E...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you had the unit that presses on the brake pedal set right; that is, just touching the pedal but not pressing on it when not braking? I think that's the brake system I have (Blue Ox's best) and it has been flawless on several trips, set on #6 and never changed but I can see room for some error when placing it and attaching it to the pedal? Seems like all it does is press on the pedal and not individual wheel brakes so the problem wouldn't seem to be with the braking unit but rather with the vehicle?
Jayco-noslide