Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVC outside rug storage

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-
I'm wondering about options for 8" PVC pipe to store my outdoor rug. My issue is that my rug is about 7" when rolled, so it won't fit in a 6" pipe.
8" PVC is crazy expensive, so I'm looking for other options. I was hoping I could find that lighter pre perforated pipe that's used to drain pipe, but I can't find that over 4".

So I'm wondering what you guys have found. Any help is appreciated!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
8 REPLIES 8

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes carries 6" pipe which is big enough for my outdoor carpet/rug.

See below for what a family member did, though this was used for sewer hose/fittings.

link, scroll down to #8

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Msu50000
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Ditch the RV mat!

One trip out with that heavy RV mat and I ditched in the dumpster at the next CG! :B

It's heavy. When it gets wet and you put it in a storage bay it stinks to high heaven from mold.

I switched to garden sun shade. I bought mine at menards also sold at lowes/home depot. Comes in several colors. Menards had it on a roll buy as long as you need.

I bought one the entire length of my 31 ft MH. Stake the four corners.
Water goes right thru it so you don't slip and fall like on those slick RV mats when they get wet. AND they last and last and last unlike the RV mat. Mine is over 10 years old. Looks like the day I bought it.

When you are ready to leave if it got rained on, throw it over the picnic table or side mirrors and it dries in seconds.
AND...the best part....it folds up 'flat' into about a 12 inch square for storing it. :C

Do you have a link to the sun shade you describe?
2015 F150 Platinum (sold)
2018 F250 6.2L Lariat
2017 Coachmen Catalina 333BHTCSK

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ditch the RV mat!

One trip out with that heavy RV mat and I ditched in the dumpster at the next CG! :B

It's heavy. When it gets wet and you put it in a storage bay it stinks to high heaven from mold.

I switched to garden sun shade. I bought mine at menards also sold at lowes/home depot. Comes in several colors. Menards had it on a roll buy as long as you need.

I bought one the entire length of my 31 ft MH. Stake the four corners.
Water goes right thru it so you don't slip and fall like on those slick RV mats when they get wet. AND they last and last and last unlike the RV mat. Mine is over 10 years old. Looks like the day I bought it.

When you are ready to leave if it got rained on, throw it over the picnic table or side mirrors and it dries in seconds.
AND...the best part....it folds up 'flat' into about a 12 inch square for storing it. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
alesis wrote:
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Did Menards carry the cap in stock? ...

DutchmenSport wrote:
When we had our pop-up, I put one of these over the bumper to use for long poles, tent poles, fire pokers, anything long and round.

To answer your question, Yes. I got the caps at the same time I got the pipe.

I did some digging back in time and found these pics of our pop-up set-up. This was between 1999 and 2004 time frame. FYI, I still have that tube, and a second one I added to trailer #2 (10 feet long), that ran under the trailer front to back, not side to side, and carried sewer hose in it.

Removed from trailer #2 when we purchased trailer #3. You can see the green tube on the floor. Also, the 10 foot white one I used on trailer #2 as well for sewer hoses:

Here's the one I made for the sewer hose for trailer #2. I used 5 inch PVC here. The tray inside was a 4 inch (very thin PCV, cut in half length wise. This gave me 20 feet. I used the tray under the sewer hose on the ground so rocks wouldn't punch holes in the sewer hose. The tube was 10 feet long. I still have it too, stuck away in my utility shed at home. I'm hanging on to both of them, who knows if I'll use them again. But as soon as I depart with them, I'll want them back, I'm sure. So, maybe someday I'll put them back into service:

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pic of the carpet tube on the Cardinal I use to have.

I think it was 12"X 8'

To get tubing that large you need to go to a plumbing contractor who installs sewer pipe.

What your looking for is a cut off from a 10' or 20' length.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I went to Menards and asked and all they (as well as Home Depot) had was a high pressure rated 8" pipe that was like $400 or something like that.

It does say "increments of 14 may be required" online. I'm assuming you didn't have to?

Did Menards carry the cap in stock? I was thinking of putting a solid cap on one side and a threaded one on the other.

Thanks again!

DutchmenSport wrote:
When we had our pop-up, I put one of these over the bumper to use for long poles, tent poles, fire pokers, anything long and round.

I then put it inside the pass-through of our first travel trailer, used it on the bumper of our 2nd, and parked it in the garage permanently with our 3rd travel trailer. I also purchased a solid end-cap and a second end cap that was glued on and threaded for a removable cap.

It was originally 10 feet long, I cut it to 8 feet wide.

Price? I don't know what "Crazy expensive" means to you. But if it's something I really wanted, I'll save a few dollars here and there until I get enough and then buy it. "Crazy expensive" is in the eye of the beholder. If I needed this at "this" price, I'd get it:

Click here.
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a rear bumper I simply tied it to the bumper with a couple bungee cords. Never lost one.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

I then put it inside the pass-through of our first travel trailer, used it on the bumper of our 2nd, and parked it in the garage permanently with our 3rd travel trailer. I also purchased a solid end-cap and a second end cap that was glued on and threaded for a removable cap.

It was originally 10 feet long, I cut it to 8 feet wide.

Price? I don't know what "Crazy expensive" means to you. But if it's something I really wanted, I'll save a few dollars here and there until I get enough and then buy it. "Crazy expensive" is in the eye of the beholder. If I needed this at "this" price, I'd get it:

Click here.