cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Focus as a dinghy

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Ford Focus and I remember discovering it could be towed when we bought it... not that we had that in mind at the time. We now have that in mind. What do folks think about this vehicle used for this purpose? I need to install a base plate and wondered if anyone has "done it yourself" with the Focus.

Also, I could use some advice about the braking system used in a Ford Focus.

Thank you all.
17 REPLIES 17

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got a 18 Focus SEL Auto and having Camping World do the install. They also did my Malibu Maxx and did a great job. Baseplate, wiring, and disconnect. Had it priced at General RV and CW and CW was only $1100 cheaper. Labor was double the parts but I think that is reasonable.

Hope it tows as good as the Malibu.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT ---I prefer the C-Max. The C-Max is a fine car, and it is a hybrid. It is a nice compliment to my PriusV. I found the Focus sat pretty low, making it difficult getting in and out. I bought it new and don't remember this being an issue until the last few years. I am 72 and not overweight. Keep in mind that this is the last year C-Max's are being made.

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
we just sold our 2012 Focus and have towed it over 40K miles. One thing not mentioned above is that the negative battery cable needs to be disconnected prior to towing. We used a complete Roadmaster setup and they installed a synoid which I activated by pushing a button on the left side of the dash. No big deal once that was done. I did have problems with the Focus transmission which is well documented and Ford promptly fixed it. I replaced the Focus with a C-Max hybrid. Hope this helps.

In our case, any problems we have had are associated with the Transmission Control Module (TCM)... the transmission itself is not a problem. And Ford is on top of this issue when it becomes a problem. Other than this, the car has been very good. That is why I am considering the investments necessary to turn this into a toad.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
I replaced the Focus with a C-Max hybrid. Hope this helps.

Focus Hatchback and C-Max are the two I was considering. Since you have had both now, give me your recommendations between the two. I am thinking C-Max because you don't have to disconnect battery cable (if I read manual correctly).
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
we just sold our 2012 Focus and have towed it over 40K miles. One thing not mentioned above is that the negative battery cable needs to be disconnected prior to towing. We used a complete Roadmaster setup and they installed a synoid which I activated by pushing a button on the left side of the dash. No big deal once that was done. I did have problems with the Focus transmission which is well documented and Ford promptly fixed it. I replaced the Focus with a C-Max hybrid. Hope this helps.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the problem of needing a drop hitch on the MH, then draging easily but the Chevy Sonic was even an inch or 2 lower.
Jayco-noslide

az99
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 14 and it makes a great toad. Easy to hookup, pull negative batt. cable and go. It also is a decent size car to drive around in when you get there.
The Blue Ox install was pretty easy. You can hardly tell it is there when not in use. I found 2 plastic caps that fit in the holes and painted them flat black.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just set up my buddyโ€™s 11 this year. He has the auto. Installing the baseplate isnโ€™t hard if you know how to properly remove the front cover. After that itโ€™s just drilling holes. We installed plug and play wiring so the cars brake lights and running lights come on with the RV. I forgot which braking system he went with but it is wireless and sits on the floor between the seat and pedal.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2014 Focus with autoshift. Works fine. Ours tells you when the transmission is ready for towing. The only issue we have had is that because our hitch receiver on the motorhome is very high we have to use a big hitch drop down which sometimes will drag because the blue ox tow bar mounting points are only about 18โ€ off the ground.

Before deciding on a baseplate and tow bar combo I would research and get the one that allows the smallest hitch adaptor possible to stay in the tow bars leveling limits.

I saw a focus being towed with a roadmaster setup a while back and it appeared to be higher off the ground and required less hitch drop. I looked it over closely but did not do actual measurements. The owner kindly showed me how it all worked but I have not as of yet researched it further.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We did tow a Chevy Sonic but traded for a 2017 Focus, towable with the dual clutch trans or manual trans. We had a Blue Ox base plate installed and use the best Blue Ox wireless braking system. Unfortunately the Focus is heavier than the Sonic and yes I can tell but it's OK. You also have to install a battery cutoff so it's won't discharge when towing. The whole procedure of hooking up, setting up the brake, etc. is a little intimidating and takes practice, probably true with any dinghy. All the Blue Ox stuff is great, especially the braking but costly. The Focus owner's manual specifically addresses towing behind a MH. Love the car also.
Jayco-noslide

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Yes, the quotes from an RV shop are rather high for a base plate install job. But I wasn't sure how do-able it was.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
I have a 2015 Focus SE with auto transmission that I did my own Blue Ox base plate which I got of Amazon Warehouse Deals. I was going to go with Demco but BO had better, clearer instructions. It was a job but I took my time. I ran it up on blocks to make it a little easier to work on it. Taking the front end off was simple. The baseplate mounting was a little difficult getting lined up with the mounting holes but I think it was tweaked some. Most difficult part was drilling the frame and fishing the nuts onto the mounting bolts. DW helped with that part.

Made up a battery disconnect switch on the negative post so it is just a matter of flipping it and boogie.

I've got a 2014 Focus SE, went with the Blue Ox baseplate also. As said above, the hardest part was drilling though the bumper/frame. Everything else was simple. My 14 year old daughter helped the few times I needed a second set of hands.

It took me about a day and a half, about 14 hours altogether. A local RV shop quoted 8 hours at $180 / hour to do the job.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Focus SE with auto transmission that I did my own Blue Ox base plate which I got of Amazon Warehouse Deals. I was going to go with Demco but BO had better, clearer instructions. It was a job but I took my time. I ran it up on blocks to make it a little easier to work on it. Taking the front end off was simple. The baseplate mounting was a little difficult getting lined up with the mounting holes but I think it was tweaked some. Most difficult part was drilling the frame and fishing the nuts onto the mounting bolts. DW helped with that part.

I used the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html with ReadyStop Breakaway Kit http://www.readybrake.com/store/p5/ReadyStop%E2%84%A2_Towed_Vehicle_Emergency_Break_Away_Kit.html and an happy with it. The install of the brake cables was time consuming while laying on my back with the car sitting on blocks. Couple of trial and errors but all is fine.

Made up a battery disconnect switch on the negative post so it is just a matter of flipping it and boogie.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
For a 2012, be sure to go to a dealer to get re-flashed to add the Neutral indicator. Early Focci didn't have this, and if you turn off the ignition before the Neutral sequence is complete, it grenades the transmission. The is because Park is really just engaging two different gear ratios at the same time, causing the output shaft to bind and hold the car. It doesn't have a traditional Park Pawl, and the clutches need time to fully disengage.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST