cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows "Paint" program

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Up until last week I have used the Windows Accessory Program "Paint" to do most of my work annotating photos and making simple diagrams.. Yesterday I tried to use it, and it will not work period.. Not only will it not work on my shop computer, but two others in the house. All computers use WIN 10 and it worked on them last week.. Now it will load but let you do nothing else!! Does anyone else use Paint and if so, is it still working? Hopefully this is not another case of Microsoft forcing one to switch to one of their other programs...
14 REPLIES 14

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
RickLIght wrote:

Or https://www.gimp.org/

Completely free 90% replacement for Photoshop. The basics are pretty easy.
Thanks for the link, I had looked before for a free open source photo editor and couldn't find one. This one fits the bill.

Yep, I dumped Photoshop years ago in favor of GIMP...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RickLIght wrote:

Thanks for the link, I had looked before for a free open source photo editor and couldn't find one. This one fits the bill.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jing is a pretty good free program from TechSmith.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
as always, shut down and restart PC first to see if that fixes the issue.90% of the time, this works.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:
If you want try something a bit more powerful than Paint, try Paint.net. It's free and available here: https://www.getpaint.net/

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want try something a bit more powerful than Paint, try Paint.net. It's free and available here: https://www.getpaint.net/
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Good, I was going to suggest a reboot. Almost every device in my RV needs a good boot in the pants now and then, including my phone and Samsung TV that goes mute.

I use Paint all the time. Great editing program.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD716TED wrote:
This is a strange problem.. I restarted the shop computer and now "Paint" works fine.. so I restarted the other two computers in the house and now "Paint" works fine on them.. I give up! Thanks again for the responses..

Why it happened on both shop and home computers at the same time I do not know. but .. You might want to do a health check on the Hard Drive and/or memory.

Also a malware scan on all computers.

Sometimes.. When you go to load a program.. something gets wonkey and a bit or two get flipped and the thing won't work.
Restarting the computer fixes it.

Another thing is windows has some rather bad management routines.. Programs can leave a lot of "Garbage" behind.. Back in my Commodore days ((Vic-20, 64 and 128) when running in Basic they do what is called a "Garbage collect" (Shut down for like a minute while they clean up memory freeing up mermory that has been used but not freed).

Windows needs to do that in the background but does not so eventually you run out of memory. Again a RE_BOOT fixes it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely an update was applied that required a reboot.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
This is a strange problem.. I restarted the shop computer and now "Paint" works fine.. so I restarted the other two computers in the house and now "Paint" works fine on them.. I give up! Thanks again for the responses..

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to run system file checker if you might have a corrupt loadlib.
Open a DOS command prompt window with ADMIN privileges. Then enter
sfc /scannow
It will run for a while and tell you if it found any bad files. Hopefully it will fix them, too.
Have you had any BSOD incidents lately?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely a corrupted dll. Search at Microsoft and download ODBC32.dll. use the file search and find all instances of it then overwrite with the downloaded file.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never used my WINDOWs 10 PAINT before.

I have WINDOWS 3D PAINT on my setup and it did just fine when I just used it...

I am guessing this is the program you are referring to...

ADDED NOTE - I went to WINDOWS ACCESSORIES and found the 'PAINT' Program I am more familiar with.. It also worked just fine here...

Perhaps searching GOOGLE for 'WINDOWs 10 PAINT program not working' and it might give you info...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
just tried mine and it works.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand