cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

reducing tire pressure when unloaded

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly, we drive our truck unloaded, since it's our everyday beater as well. Our truck is a Ram 2500 reg cab 4X4. How low can I safely lower the air pressure to improve the ride for my arthritic wife?
31 REPLIES 31

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I have a 3500 SRW Dodge

Front Tires at 55 psi...all the time
Rear Tires at 80 psi for towing 5th wheel
**Rear Axle/tires at 6200# when towing
Rear Tires at 45 psi when NOT towing
*Truck weighs 7980# with 3120# on Rear Axle/Tires when not towing

Been doing that for 11 years.
60K per set then new tires (not cause tires are worn out but because I am anal about tires)
Tires wear evenly across thread

X-2 what OB said.
1T SRW '05 CTD QC Dodge. "Door" pressure req's say 45 in front.
UN-loaded I run with 50 lbs in all 4 tires.

Only change I make when towing the 5th = I use the 'max' on tire sidewall for rears = 80 psi.

Been doing that with the Dodge since new ('05) and my former '85 1T Ferd Crew cab (since it was new).

No need (or desire) to ride in a buckboard when it's M-T..:W

dougk53
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2017 6.4 Ram 2500 as noted in your profile. The rear of the truck unladen is around 3000#. The Firestones on mine at 50psi will support about 5000#. These are the stock tires. I run front and rear at 56psi due to ride consideration. Only thing is every time you start the truck you will have to hit the left arrow on the steering wheel then the right arrow to clear the Evic of the TPMS screen. Granted the TPMS warning light will still stay on but I just ignore it. Good luck.

Doug
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4 Hemi
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2005 Road King
Doug,Virginia
5 Grandkids, Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori,Jocelyn
Furkids, Buster,Samantha

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
My door placard specifies for my 2006 dodge ram 3500 dually diesel:

Loaded: 80 psi front and rear
Unloaded: 60 psi front; 40 psi rear

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
rsgs wrote:
For towing, I run my fronts at 65# and the rears at 70#. When not towing, I run the fronts at 55# and the rears at 50#. I add the extra air in front to make up for the weight of the diesel. Excellent ride when not towing.

So you only put the heavier diesel engine in when towing? Couple trips to the scales will show the front axle weight varies very little, between towing and not towing.

YUP, even with my 5,750+- pin I add less than 200# to my steer axle even with my hitch full forward. I leave my fronts at 80psi all the time on my DRW.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rsgs wrote:
For towing, I run my fronts at 65# and the rears at 70#. When not towing, I run the fronts at 55# and the rears at 50#. I add the extra air in front to make up for the weight of the diesel. Excellent ride when not towing.

So you only put the heavier diesel engine in when towing? Couple trips to the scales will show the front axle weight varies very little, between towing and not towing.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CALandLIN wrote:
Road Phantom wrote:
Mostly, we drive our truck unloaded, since it's our everyday beater as well. Our truck is a Ram 2500 reg cab 4X4. How low can I safely lower the air pressure to improve the ride for my arthritic wife?

There is an industry-wide inflation pressure warning that describes any tire found with an inflation pressure 20% below vehicle manufacturer recommendations to be in a "run flat" condition.

A lot of trucks only have inflation info for fully loaded. One has to use a little common sense and look at the inflation table and inflation the rears to the actual load plus a little margin. Handling and braking are reduced with tires inflated for full load when the truck is running light.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The door post sticker on mine says rears 75 loaded, 45 unloaded. Fronts donโ€™t change.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:

If you decide to go lower than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, you MUST insure the inflation pressures you decide to use will carry the load on each tire. In the commercial world of doing things, that will require you to go to some scales and get the load on each tire position, than inflate all tires to a psi that will support the heaviest loaded position. (That is not an acceptable procedure for your vehicle and it's considered unsafe.)

There is an industry-wide inflation pressure warning that describes any tire found with an inflation pressure 20% below vehicle manufacturer recommendations to be in a "run flat" condition.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I run all my tires at 55psi when not towing, and this setup provides a comfortable and smooth ride.

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't usually check profiles, I go by the information given.

Just as easy to look at the profile.

To the OP , I don't know the answer ,but there is a way to not set off the alarm on air pressure on the 2500's. The Cummins forum has the answer .

As far as air pressure I run my front 60 all the time ,45 back when not towing 80 when towing .
Almost, but I figure if someone really wants help or advice they will give all the particulars.

Ya, shame on them :B

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

To the OP , I don't know the answer ,but there is a way to not set off the alarm on air pressure on the 2500's. The Cummins forum has the answer .

As far as air pressure I run my front 60 all the time ,45 back when not towing 80 when towing .
Almost, but I figure if someone really wants help or advice they will give all the particulars.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Top row is for the newer RAM Dually trucks. 35psi will give 1,570# of carrying capacity per rear tire times 4 is 6,280# capacity for the rear axle. My rear axle weighs no more than 4k without RV. I can still load a 2k in the bed with room to spare.

YES the ride vastly improves when lowering for an unloaded to lightly loaded truck. 4wd trucks keep the fronts at 80psi!!!

No help for a 2500 SRW. No idea where you come up with 80 psi front. I have to believe his truck would be 60 psi front

I run mine as recommended on the door pillar 60 psi front , ALL the time.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote: