cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trip planner

smileyblank
Explorer
Explorer
I've read posts about the Good Sam Travel Planner but am not really seeing what I need. I'm an Apple user. I'm trying to use it to plan a trip and it just doesn't cooperate. I've tried changing browsers (currently using Chrome..switched to Safari). For example. When I plan a trip and want to add a campground to the trip, I click the plus sign to "add to trip" and nothing happens. Over and over again. I've tried restarting the site. Nothing changes.

Any solutions? I'm a total newbie, but am pretty good with technology. Any help is greatly appreciated!
14 REPLIES 14

KO
Explorer
Explorer
RV Trip Wizard

X4

DilanYah
Explorer
Explorer
nice

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Road Trip Planner for some time - quite happy with it. A nice feature is the ability to link it to The Ultimate Public Campground Project.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

dhfreedman
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got Trip Planner to work for me. Simple fix, no idea why it works. I just went into the browser settings and allowed popups for the trip planner page. Yes, I know, there are no popups on the Trip Planner. But allowing them fixed all the problems I've had, including not showing a planned route, and not allowing me to add a stop. Nothing else worked, and I tried everything.

Now that I have it working, I have to say it's sort of useful, but it's also sort of lame in other ways. It won't warn you of some well-known RV restrictions, like no RVs of any size on any NY state road called a "parkway" (e.g. the Taconic Parkway), and no non-empty propane tanks of any size on any vehicle in Boston tunnels (even if the tank is turned off--and yes, the Mass. state police have been known to pull RVs over, and it's a huge fine). And Trip Planner doesn't come close to flagging all the low-clearance bridges on non-major roads, though that's a tall order and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to (but I really wish it did).

And given all the complaints on the Forum about Trip Planner not working, with no helpful response just about ever from Good Sam support, I'd say there's no support or maintenance for Trip Planner, which I'd guess means important new RV/road restrictions probably won't make it into the planner.

But hey, it's free for members, so while it isn't the great perk that it would be if Good Sam put some work into it, it's an OK one that ought to be used with caution.

smileyblank
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
Do you use a Garmin GPS? Then you can go to this link and download Garmin Basecamp. It's free and it works great. You can plan routes in Garmin Basecamp on your Mac and then upload the routes and waypoints directly into the Garmin and let it navigate you. We just completed a 7171 mile trip through all of the eastern Canadian Maritime Provinces and did all of our route planning with Basecamp.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

I don't use a Garmin...YET. I'll definitely keep this in mind. thanks!

smileyblank
Explorer
Explorer
Keithk3628 wrote:
Smiley

Try signing in to the goodsam site and try again, that happens to me also and usually just signing in or signing out then in again solves it. I too use a Mac and I think it is a cookie or something thing.

I get something like that too with my credit union site, spoke with the cu rep and she said Mac users have that issue sometimes and I have to restart my laptop to solve it, she said same, a cookie thing or something like that.

Keith

Thank you Keith. I really think it's a problem with using a Mac.I appreciate your advice!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The cool thing about RVTripWizard is that they are hooked in directly to RV Park Reviews, which in turn has a link to the campground's website.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
smileyblank wrote:

Any solutions?

RV Trip Wizard

x3

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
smileyblank wrote:

Any solutions?

RV Trip Wizard

Yep. Well worth the $
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use a Garmin GPS? Then you can go to this link and download Garmin Basecamp. It's free and it works great. You can plan routes in Garmin Basecamp on your Mac and then upload the routes and waypoints directly into the Garmin and let it navigate you. We just completed a 7171 mile trip through all of the eastern Canadian Maritime Provinces and did all of our route planning with Basecamp.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Furkot.com is a good trip planner, as is Passport America.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is a good trip planner at https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
smileyblank wrote:

Any solutions?

RV Trip Wizard
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Smiley

Try signing in to the goodsam site and try again, that happens to me also and usually just signing in or signing out then in again solves it. I too use a Mac and I think it is a cookie or something thing.

I get something like that too with my credit union site, spoke with the cu rep and she said Mac users have that issue sometimes and I have to restart my laptop to solve it, she said same, a cookie thing or something like that.

Keith