cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gone from class A to Class C?

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all:
We have had a class A (40+ foot DP) since 2005. I love the roominess and the features like king bed, larger bathroom etc. But I HATE the size of it when it comes to navigating around. I think I would use a smaller RV much more than the huge one. I would still like a king bed though and some other features. Do you think I would like the class C after being used to more space? Wondering if anyone has done it and your thoughts? Thanks.
Trish

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
17 REPLIES 17

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We went; TC, 5er, class A, TC, 5er, TC. We haven't decided whether a 5er or class C with a walk around for "The BIG trip". We will always have a TC though.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Did the TT and then a Class A. To big so I went to a 28’ Class C. Now a 29’ Class C. Finally like the floorplan. Real queen bed, walk around. Overhead storage behind the cab over entertainment center. Large outside storage under the bed in the back. Being a Ford guy I have to say I really like the Chevy.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 class A and 10 class C. Still have 1 class A and 6 class C. I use them a lot. I love the convenience of the 25ft when in the city, but love the separate areas of the 36ft when I got family. I say keep them both...
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
I just went from a 24 foot Class C to a 28 foot Class A. Now my 24 foot was a 1995 Scotty with a 12 valve Cummins diesel. Great engine Love it. Wife got sick and wanted me to sell it."I did" then she got better and wanted a MH with a rear bedroom. I bought a 28 foot Class A Winnebago Sightseer 2004. with 35,000 miles. Well its a lot different 454 gas engine, SO BIG to get use to. Does have lots of power. Just drove it local so far. First trip is in Oct to Hershey Swap Meet and Car show. I do miss my little Dodge Diesel just could not find a nice use 28 foot Class C that suited us. My garage is only 30 foot deep. I keep my MH in the garage all clean up and waxed. Its not good leaving a MH outside all the time. We keep all our cars, trucks and MH in the garage. That important to me. I guess I am a bit fussy.I will be towing a enclose car trailer with a 1940 Ford Conv. to show at Hershey. I guess I am a Antique car nut.We only use the MH to go to car shows and swap meet.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

4gone
Explorer
Explorer
We just did it. We weren't necessarily looking to and I love the class A we had a 35-foot Damon Daybreak. The reasons for us where cost mostly. As we like the class A's but ended up with the Minnie Winnie 31 foot Class C. So far I like it very much. And even though it's not a lot smaller we have done some day trips that we maybe wouldn't have done with the other unit just because of size and maneuverability. My parents are in the same quandary right now. They have a 35 foot Holiday Rambler Class A and there looking for something smaller either in an A or a C. The hardest part is letting go of some of the things you like which usually is going to be floor space and Storage. However in their case it may be that they use it more and I think that is probably money well spent if you're going to put more miles on and do more things.
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31G
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of maintenance on a Class C is definitely way less than maintenance costs on a diesel pusher! I can take my Class C through a fast oil change and generally have the work done for less than $40, literally hundreds of dollars less than the annual maintenance costs on a diesel pusher. Even Class A gassers must be taken to a limited number of service centers where the costs are usually well over $100 for annual maintenance.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some friends did, after moving into 34-foot gasser after 30+ years pulling a series of high-grade fivers. The A experience was cut short because "shotgun" passenger got vertigo behind that big window. So going to a 30-foot C wasn't about downsizing, rather about getting her feeling safe inside a cab.

I have other friends who put more than 10 years into a C then moved to a fiver. Your needs can change, then your RV changes. If your needs haven't changed, changing your RV type on a whim can be risky.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your perspective. I am finding that the floorplans that I like are in the 30 foot range and then I wonder if it's worth it to bother switching. It's also that everything is so expensive to fix on the bigger DPs. From tires to fuel to battery banks etc. It's just a LOT. I think I will go take a look at some and see how it feels.

Tricia and Tom

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a C to an A, then another C, back to two more A's. I like the floor plan in some C's but won't go back to one, we were overloaded in each one and we didn't carry much stuff either. Almost all C's are rated at 14,500 lbs and you can't travel with all your tanks full without being overloaded.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We've been RVing for 32 years now and have owned 7 motorhomes. Started with a 19' Class B, then a 26' Class C, then a 33' Class A, then a 35' Class A, then a 39' Class A diesel pusher. Finally decided that the diesel pusher was just too big. Like the OP stated, nice when parked but a problem maneuvering in many places.

We then downsized to a 34" Class A gasser and eventually, after stopping full timing (we did that for 11 years), we went down to a 28' Class C. We have found that for us the 28" Class C is perfect - - enough room for us when parked and much more maneuverable when on the road. We've owned it now for 12 years and have on occasion actually lived in it for 6 months at a time. We have a walk around queen bed and lots of storage in the bedroom. It's a little tighter in the living room with only one chair and a dinette - - but it works for us. We'll never go back to a Class A. One of the best parts of having a Class C is that my wife will drive it; she would never drive any of the Class A motorhomes. Having a cabover bunk is great for storage too!
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Went from a 40 ft run over 39c with cat c7 to a 24 ft thor chateau 23u. I averaged maybe 8k miles a year in the funmover. Had the class C 7months, already done 10k miles. I must like it more! Easier to drive, carry a a motorcycle on back or on back of towed jeep. All I need and little I don't.

We almostly dry camp with fellow riders. Half the trips are either me alone or me joining friends for a couple, few days of riding. Class c a lot easier with a bike on hitch rack than stored inside funmover. As an interesting side benefit; people who approach camp to chat are more sincere than the class A campers and riders. People are now more interested in where I intend to ride, what to see, maybe join than discuss they also have a diesel Diplomat, Monaco, etc, engine bigger than your c7, how did it do up the grade? I have a bike too, see it on my Prevost? Brand new..

Naw. Like the ease of getting gas, finding a campsite remote or forest service with less hassle than the 40 ft, power to weight ratio pretty good.

Only if I stayed at parks would the big A be useful to me. Good luck.

lostbytes
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see. Went from class C 24' to class A 28', then to class C 24' again then, to trailer 20' then now (brand new) trailer 22'. Biggest bed was queen size. There's always something you are not going to like. Just have to pick several things that you NEED then get the closest setup and modify the things you need... jmho.

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys. We don't use the DP that much so I think it's either A. silly to keep or B. better to downgrade size-wise. Most of the use that we do with it is tailgating weekends and swim meets. Both of those don't really need a huge area inside. I think my husband is dragging his feet because he likes the space and big engine of the DP. But he doesn't use it. So I just feel like there are so many things I would use it that I don't know. But I might be kidding myself too. Thanks for the input.
Trish

Tricia and Tom

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Rent one for a weekend and you should have a good idea.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT