cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to take my motorcycle ... travel trailer ...

RB6
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, new guy here, hope I am not posting something in the inappropriate area.

I have had campers before but never anything other than that. I am recently retired and want to get into RV'ing for both local excursions as well as snowbirding to a minor degree. My desire is to stay in the 22-24' travel trailer size, pulling with a Tundra, however I also want to be able to take my touring motorcycle with me (850 lbs).

So far I see pretty much my only option as a toy hauler however I am suspect that the interior configuration will provide the level of comfort that a 22-24 w/slide non-toy hauler would ... and that too is important to me. I have seen lifts for the rear of motorhomes but I'm not wanting to go that big/sophisticated.

My question is what alternatives have you all tried or have had luck with? ... or am I pretty much going to have to go the toy hauler route? Any lifts or innovative ideas that I haven't seen yet online?

Thanks for the help.
21 REPLIES 21

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
An 8 ft. bed is a standard. 6 1/2' is a short bed.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
I thought a "standard " bed was a 8 footer . Did that change ?

I don't know when it changed but the last 3 trucks I've owned had a standard bed which is about 6 1/2'. The long bed is an 8'er.

yes confusing to say the least. In days of old it was "long bed" or "short bed", and standard bed meant "long bed" But at least with GM by 2004 "std bed" meant "short bed"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

I don't know when it changed but the last 3 trucks I've owned had a standard bed which is about 6 1/2'. The long bed is an 8'er.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
rose090999 wrote:
Just go get a Dual Sport 400 or 650 that weighs less than 400 lb's and put it in the bed of you truck. Unless you're going to Bike Week a dual sport bike would be much more enjoyable to cruise around the back fire roads, trails, or local town when camping anyway.

lol, that's like telling a 40 foot DP owner that they should just go buy a Roadtrek because you think it would work better for them.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

rose090999
Explorer
Explorer
Just go get a Dual Sport 400 or 650 that weighs less than 400 lb's and put it in the bed of you truck. Unless you're going to Bike Week a dual sport bike would be much more enjoyable to cruise around the back fire roads, trails, or local town when camping anyway.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
At MB Bike Weeks I pulled my bike on a trailer behind my motorhome. I see people carrying their bikes on 1/2 ton trucks and towing travel trailers. The guy camped next to me at the last one I RV'ed to was hauling his Road Glide in the back of a Dodge 1/2 ton and towing a trailer that I would put at about 27 feet. I would never do that. It's way too much weight on a 1/2 ton. I do think it would work on a 1 ton chassis though, like dually. Now I pull a trailer with a Suburban so, I ride to bike rallies and get a hotel room.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haul an 800 lb motorcycle on a homemade lift behind my fiver. it works ok with 400 lbs of gravel placed in the bedroom closet for counter weight but I won't be fully satisfied until I install a third axle under the fiver. You also have to find a fiver with a very strong frame if you don't want to have issues. Here's a pic of mine:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we go camping & riding quite a bit. Here is my $.02 experience.

1) you aren't going to be able to put the bike on the back of a TT, or with that heavy a bike on the back of a 5'r either. a 300lb bike on the back of a 5'er possibly but not 800lbs
2) A long bed is a BIG advantage over a std box. I have a 3/4 ton std bed and need to turn my KTM400 sideways in the bed.
3) with that weight and trailer tongue weight I suspect you are definitely into 3/4 or 1 ton territory.
4) In a 4x4 the bed I would NOT ever try getting a sport bike in the back. Even getting my KTM in the bed is usually a 2 person job for safety.
5) In my case I have 1400lb tongue weight and with bike in the bed and riding gear I am right at my denali 3/4ton GVW.

So...... take a look at some of the outback toyhaulers with the side entry ramp. they may fit your need nicely, still give reasonable inside room and with the side entry don't take as much space out of the living area.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure about double towing in BC or any of Canada and usually the first hitch has to be a 5er/fifth wheel.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Maybe it's time to reconsider what type of ride around vehicle to take on camping trips. A pedal bicycle is lots easier to carry and a foldup one is even easier.

Maybe motorcycle riders want to ride a motorcycle and not a bicycle.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
Small 5er and lightweight utility trailer?

Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's time to reconsider what type of ride around vehicle to take on camping trips. A pedal bicycle is lots easier to carry and a foldup one is even easier.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My question is what alternatives have you all tried or have had luck with? ... or am I pretty much going to have to go the toy hauler route? Any lifts or innovative ideas that I haven't seen yet online?

Thanks for the help.

The Tundra will likely go away and you will need a stout truck. Then get a Rampage lift and put the motorcycle into the truck's bed. Rampage makes loading and unloading 850 pounds of motorcycle virtually effortless. But, you will definitely want a long bed and a one ton or heavy duty three quarter ton truck.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.