cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading Phoenix Cruiser 2551 A/C

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 has a 13,000 BTU A/C unit and it just isn't keeping up on a hot day. Possibly coolant issues but I haven't had it from new so I don't know if it cooled better when it was young or not.

Browsing new units it appears there's only a couple of amps difference; like 11.0 ---> 15.0.

Has anyone with a 2551 (or other model) with a 30A service ever upgraded to a 15,000 BTU (without upgrading the 30A service)?

(If anyone has ever upgraded to a 50A service on a Phoenix Cruiser I'd like to hear about that as well.)
5 REPLIES 5

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
I just got through putting the cover back on. I should have seen this first. ๐Ÿ™‚ I decided not to clean the coils but to blow them out with air as they don't look dirty. The rest of the compartment is filthy but the coils are pretty clean. Another reason I didn't use the cleaner I bought is there is no way I'm spraying water into that compartment. There isn't any way to prevent making a hell of a mess inside the rig. I'd have to remove the unit to clean it that way. If I'm going to do that I'd rather go ahead and do an upgrade. I think upgrade is going to happen anyway since the coils aren't dirty so pretty sure that's not the problem; this unit is just too small or old top keep up.

Another reason I want to upgrade is the current unit has no fan off function. If the A/C is on the fan is on; doesn't turn off after the compressor shuts off. Gets old having the fan blow all night long. My previous rig had a house type thermostat where the fan had a Auto/On function. Not sure why this much more expensive rig does not.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks for all the input.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw an rv mechanic use a spray to clean it, I think it was this one by ZEP in the link.

Air Conditioner Coil Cleaner PROD.# 0202 BENEFITS : Designed to simplify the task of cleaning the exterior surfaces of coils on window and rooftop air conditioning units. Eliminates the need for buckets, sprayers, and water hoses. Reduces cooling expense by promoting efficient heat transfer on coils.

http://www.superkleendirect.com/cleaners/automotive-machinery/zep-foaming-coil-cleaner/

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks j-d! Will check this out!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
You bought used, correct? Pull the 13.5 apart from the roof and clean it. Chris Bryant has an article HERE. It's incomplete, broken links to the pictures, but it tells you what to do.
I'll venture that your 13500 IS adequate for your size coach and will keep you cool if you keep it clean.
The intake filters too, of course. I salvaged a 20 year old Coleman Mach 13500 that I thought I was going to have to replace, following Chris' article.
While the shroud (the pretty finish one) is off, make sure that (if it's Coleman) that there's a foam baffle running vertically along both ends of the Condenser (rear Coil). If missing you can make them out of foam pipe insulation or a swim noodle. Again, this thanks to Chris Bryant.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your 30A service will run a 15K just as well as a 13.5. The difference in power draw is roughly an amp.