cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle insurance

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
This come up all the time, but lets hear latest opinions.

I have used Lewis & Lewis for several years and have had one minor claim which was dealt with. I have been seeing some negative stuff on Facebook and a customer on our caravan last year got clobbered and it has only just been settled after a lot of hassle.

I am considering using Sanborns which tends to be pricier, anyone have experience with them?

I realize they are all agents for companies, but what is your experiences positve and negative with any company?
23 REPLIES 23

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
There a quirks with Mexican law that you won't think about. For instance, a couple at our park in Villa Corona were driving when a boy on a bicycle hit them. They didn't run into him. But because it was car versus bicycle, they were automatically at fault by Mexican law as it was being meted out that day. Yes, a long day for the couple!

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Vagabundos is more than Lewis & Lewis plus you have to pay $35 US to join the group every year.
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A Surplus Line Broker is the name for a USA rep for a Mexican underwriter. Why not send them an email and ask?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
AK, I just checked VAgabundos, they sell for less than others. Looks like they have their own inssurance company, they are not a broket?
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance is allways dillema when planning to go to Mexico. I lean towards with Bill Bell, never heard of a problem with the insurer offered, or Lewis and Lewis from which I heard a few bad stories.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently checking with Vagabundos. They come highly recommended by a friend who had to use them once while in Mexico. He was very happy with the service from them and got reimbursed quickly and to his satisfaction. I am currently using Lewis & Lewis.
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
This come up all the time, but lets hear latest opinions.

I have used Lewis & Lewis for several years and have had one minor claim which was dealt with. I have been seeing some negative stuff on Facebook and a customer on our caravan last year got clobbered and it has only just been settled after a lot of hassle.

I am considering using Sanborns which tends to be pricier, anyone have experience with them?

I realize they are all agents for companies, but what is your experiences positve and negative with any company?

I also heard of one person with Lewis and Qualitas on a total lost of their RV. It took almost a year before the claim was settle, they had to hire a lawer from California to resolve the problem and they did not get the full value of the RV.

I am shoppling right now and looking at Bill Bell on a facebook page and he deals with El Aguila and GNP. I also check Mexpro and they have ABA and the two others.

I know a caravan that have switched from San Xavier to Lewis Lewis because of problem with Xavier, but Xavier deals with ABA, El Aguila and GNP

I checked with Sanborn but their price is about $200 more for 6 months.

I will follow recommandations.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
What all turistas need to have in México is not only liability insurance but personal medical coverage, should you be taken to a hospital, clinica, Cruz Roja (Red Cross) or the local shaman, your insurance should be able to cover your medical expenses not just the other person and every one in your vehicle, the other item de rigour is immediate access to a lawyer, in México you are detained if you can not or do not have enough cash, or insurance coverage, you are held in custody even if you are a witness and much more so if you are involved, even if it is not your fault!

That is why you need immediate access to the lawyer.

Get coverage for liability and full coverage for everything else, being detained in any Mexican jail, not arrested just detained is no fun at all, until they investigate whose at fault and that can take several days, that is where the lawyer comes in handy.

Trying to save some bucks is not worth the agravation and anguish of being taken to the comandancia,

I have found that a full years cover is cheaper than only a half year.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. I was being sarcastic. I certainly would never recommend not having liability. It is illegal in Mexico To not have Mexican liability.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It would be of interest to read your information source. Mr Qtla9111

Talleyho69
Thanks for that!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
It's actually 27% of Mexican drivers that have insurance.

But you don't want to be a Mexican who is responsible for an accident and not have a driver's license, expired tags or no insurance.

You will lose your car and can even lose your house if the accident includes third-party bodily injury or death.

Somebody hit my SO and we sued. Poor guy thought he could get away with no license and insurance.

He lost. I won.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
yeah but they can still sue you

Ya,,,,...that is the problem!!