Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Bounce

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed my truck today

Truck with 2 people and full tank 8,996# (2008 F-350 SRW Crew Cab 4x4)

Trailer weight #14,020 (sandpiper 365SAQ)

Pin Weight 2,760#

According to Ford the Pin weight range is 15 to 25% of trailer weight = 2,370 to 3,950# which I am well within.

With no trailer it is a stiff ride so would airbags help with the 5th wheel bounce?
22 REPLIES 22

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter if you fix it or not. As you dive more and more you will slowly accept it as normal. That is why so many things work, the normal human reaction to spending money, is we think it works. Of course I drove over the road trucks before I ever bought a 5er, so I am more accepting of a crappy ride. Most of what you feel, is the nature of the beast. Drive it a while, before you drop the cash.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
I understand that if I have an airbag on my pin, I shouldn't have airbags on my truck as they work against each other. True?

NOT true at all!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
bid-time nailed it. There's no ONE solution that fits all. Every truck and 5th wheel combo is different. The same 5th wheel could be pulled with one of the big 3 trucks and each truck could be optioned different and you'd get different results every time. Now factor in everyone's towing a different 5th wheel and it's no wonder it's confusing.

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
That's the problem with "Chucking". Every time its mentioned on here 20 different people got 20 different solutions they swear will fix the problem. And each solution costs about $2 Grand and up. So start throwing money at the problem until you got enough money invested in it you decide to live with it. Chucking is pretty common. Use the search feature above I'm sure you'll find days worth of reading material.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I think guys get too caught up in "upgrading" components on older trucks vs. replacing. At 10 years old, especially with lots of towing, the leafs are probably not up to task, as well as the shocks.
Personally I'd replace the shocks AND the leafs and I'd bet you'd see a world of difference.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends how big the wood de do is.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP need to better describe what your trying to eleimiante as bounce. The trailer wheels or the hammering on the back of the truck?
And what are your expectations?
Pin weight is collapsing the truck suspension? Get airbags.
Typical bucking and weight transfer. Depends how much its squishy g the truck suspension, but your not going to "not feel" abrupt grade breaks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
newman fulltimer wrote:
Shocks are gone they now are hard and stiff

Uhhhh, when shocks are blown they're like a limp _____. The polar opposite of hard and stiff!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that if I have an airbag on my pin, I shouldn't have airbags on my truck as they work against each other. True?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I concur on the Bilstienโ€™s. To make it even better add bags and set to about 30psi loaded or just to the point it starts to raise the rear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We gotta remember that our 5th wheels are like teeter-totters because of the wheels being somewhat in the middle. I have a scaled 3500 pounds pin weight and 5000 lbs payload. Going over bridges can really cause a hard bounce to the truck. I have a Trailair pin and it doesn't help on the hard bumps, nothing seems to. Dually is equipped with Bilstein 5100's.

I drive the same routes in various motorhomes from work and what a night and day difference. Can't wait to get rid of this trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
One of the most cost effective improvements to the ride of the 5th wheel is installing the EZ Flex suspension components from Dexter. For less than $200 you can also have the EZ Flex with wet bolts included. The difference after I installed the EZ Flex and wet bolt kit on my triple axle toyhauler was night and day. You could still feel the bridge joints, but now it doesn't try to snap your neck.

One of the best things I've gotten for my trailer.

I forgot in my earlier post that you should also install shocks on the 5er. We have Bilstein 5100's on the Ram 2500 and Monroe RV shocks on the 5er. it sure smooths out the bad spots.
We moved for one host site to another Friday, there is an bridge just south of Cornelius, OR the going north is a pretty good bump, hit at 55 and one noticeable bounce. This is with a 12,360# 5er, and a 2001 Ram 2500.
The price of the EZ-Flex looks interesting, may add to the 5er in the near future.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the most cost effective improvements to the ride of the 5th wheel is installing the EZ Flex suspension components from Dexter. For less than $200 you can also have the EZ Flex with wet bolts included. The difference after I installed the EZ Flex and wet bolt kit on my triple axle toyhauler was night and day. You could still feel the bridge joints, but now it doesn't try to snap your neck.

One of the best things I've gotten for my trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get new shocks... That will help a lot I'm pretty sure..
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.