cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rear bumper weight capacity

dardeau2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Tioga 26Q. I want to bring a motorcycle on a bumper carrier. In addition to the standard 2" hitch receiver, a welder attached additional 2" receivers to the frame at each side of the bumper. So, I have three receivers, each attached to the frame of the Tioga. QUESTION: What is the maximum weight I can carry? Carrier and motorcycle. Is there a maximum or should I only be concerned with the rear axle maximum? Thanks in advance for any help.
17 REPLIES 17

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
At the end of the day, have you done any research into WHO would be responsible if the mc fell off YOUR fabricated system ?
I would be interested to know if a certified welder would actually give you a bill and full description of what he did leaving a paper trail aimed at him.
When I asked (2x) welders to weld something on a MV they told me they were not DOT certified welders and would NOT accept the legal responsibility due to criminal investigations by state authorities in fatal auto accidents.
Could YOU be held criminally responsible if that happened ? It might be worth looking into and it will depend on which state you happen to be traveling in at the time.

You need to know before YOU start fabricating a motor vehicle that travels on public highways. Personally, I would be thinking trailer that YOU did not fabricate. It certainly shifts the responsibility away from YOU, doesn't it ?

And in addition.....please don't do that and endanger my family and myself while out on the road.....and the rest of the human race.:R. Its always special when ONE puts emphasis on YOU using all CAPS.....brother can ya spare a dime LOL.

Personally I have often worried who is ultimatly responsible when I have had hitches installed that required the installer to weld to or drill the frame on a vehicle. Maybe the mill that made the steel or the guy at Lincoln who operates the flux coater for the sticks?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

dardeau2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input. For three years, I carried a Nighthawk 250 on the trailer I had. Both the new trailer and the new scooter are lighter. I have made trips to the scales and it drives well and remains under the rear axle weight.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camperdave,
I did the same thing, years ago had an f350 diesel 4x4 with Viking pop top camper in bed. Carried dr350se on front receiver hitch. I welded headlight mounts onto the motorcycle rack. I plugged lights into a 4 pin receptacle and rigged truck lights to be off when rack lights on.

Today I carry my kid's xr70 up front when I need it.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Another possible option, especially if you are already rear heavy. I sometimes Cary my 300lb dirt bike on the front hitch of my van. Off the shelf from etrailer the hitch is rated at 500lb. I was concerned about visibility and overheating, but neither has been an issue even while pulling the trailer in summer. Definitely lose some headlight brightness tho.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a 300 lbs dual sport on hitch rack frequently. Dunno particulars of your coach. I specifically bought mine as a 23u about 24 + feet on the e450 chassis to ensure I had enough. Bike causes rear end to sag..about 1/2 inch when jacked up on ultimatemx carrier. No big deal. Don't even know it's back there. Hitch says rated for 7500lbs. Set up and all maybe carrying 460 lbs.fuel can bolted to square sewer hose tube. Either a big ktm 625sxc or honda xr650r. Both are great do it all bikes. That said, I don't see extensions, nothing subpar holding on the hitch. I had seen weak stuff on some Chevy based class c in the rear. Again, dont know your equipment but works very well for me. Good luck

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago does frame extensions per manufactures species.

Dusty

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the end of the day, have you done any research into WHO would be responsible if the mc fell off YOUR fabricated system ?
I would be interested to know if a certified welder would actually give you a bill and full description of what he did leaving a paper trail aimed at him.
When I asked (2x) welders to weld something on a MV they told me they were not DOT certified welders and would NOT accept the legal responsibility due to criminal investigations by state authorities in fatal auto accidents.
Could YOU be held criminally responsible if that happened ? It might be worth looking into and it will depend on which state you happen to be traveling in at the time.

You need to know before YOU start fabricating a motor vehicle that travels on public highways. Personally, I would be thinking trailer that YOU did not fabricate. It certainly shifts the responsibility away from YOU, doesn't it ?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure hope that welder had a really good look at those frame rails.

A 26 footer likely has box tube frame rail extensions butt welded onto the OEM frame ends. They never do any kind of gusseting or add fish plates to the joint and some a pretty sketchy welds.

The extensions are not meant to really do much but tie the house down, despite the hitch.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much overhang is there from the rear axle to the bumper? What is the depth of the truck's frame rails?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody fabricated aftermarket hitches on a Class C frame and you want us to guess how much they can carry? Since the basic limitation is how much weight the frame extensions can handle, one hitch or three, I suggest you find out what Fleetwood said was the max load on the original hitch, which was likely 350 pounds or 500 pounds.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
dardeau2 wrote:
I have a 2002 Tioga 26Q. I want to bring a motorcycle on a bumper carrier. In addition to the standard 2" hitch receiver, a welder attached additional 2" receivers to the frame at each side of the bumper. So, I have three receivers, each attached to the frame of the Tioga. QUESTION: What is the maximum weight I can carry? Carrier and motorcycle. Is there a maximum or should I only be concerned with the rear axle maximum? Thanks in advance for any help.

First thing is to go on the scales and get your weights now as is. Compare that with the weight specs on your door info.

Now you and only you can decide what you think you can get away with. For sure you will be going over a rating. Maybe two. So are you one of the many who pooh-pooh ratings, or do you take them seriously?

BTW, our Class C seems to have been built already overweight at the back by the company that put the RV part onto Ford's "incomplete truck" that could have been an ambulance or whatever. So we have no allowance to add anything. But of course you have to, so it all comes down to "how much can we get away with?" I guess you know that when you end up in the ditch. Now you know! 😞
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
How about a single wheel trailer that hooks the tow vehicle and the wheel casters.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
fourthclassC wrote:
I have considered this also. Just want to add that I once saw a honda shadow 750 on a carrier similar to what you (OP) describe. It looked ok to me from following it down the highway for a few miles, which is far from a complete evaluation.

I think if one really does all the math they'd discover that this is WAY to much weight for just about any Class C. Putting anything more than a small scooter on the bumper is something hat should only be considered on a larger Class A. But that's just my opinion based on my own research when looking for ways to haul my motorcycles.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before committing to a bumper carrier of some sort take a long hard look at the multitude of choices in small motorcycle trailers. I am currently on my third and hopefully last trailer. Recently sold my Kendon folding trailer replacing it with a 6 X 10 {14' overall} cargo trailer. The Kendon worked very well and had the added advantage of standing vertically against the wall in the garage with a very small footprint. If storage is an issue check out the Kendon line.

I like the added protection/security of my new cargo trailer but you have to store it somewhere {mine cost me an additional $15 a month as it just lives behind my Clss C in a slightly longer slot at the storage yard}.

Adding the weight of an MC to the rear of a Class C is tricky. You will at the very least need to add air bags - I just did to deal with the extra hitch weight of the single axle Cargo trailer... and they help a lot. You will need to end up when all is said and done with 33 per cent of your coach weight on the front axle and be careful not to overload the rear axle.

Several trips to the CAT Scale were necessary for me to get things right. If you would like any pics of the various set ups I used just send me a PM as I no longer have the ability to post photos here.

:C