cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally getting an Eagle Cap triple slide 1165!

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty enthused about this, I've been wanting one for a long time. So I suppose this post is as much a celebration as seeking advice. But I always appreciate everybody's input and suggestions. I found a used, 2018 1165 that is in like new condition and is optioned almost exactly how I would have done it if I ordered new. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it last weekend.
I spend about six to eight weeks per year in my AF 1150 truck camper, and I love it. But the biggest drawback is not having a comfortable place to sit for reading or working on the computer. The dinette is okay for a while, but it gets old sitting there when I have to do it for a couple hours or more. The Eagle Cap 1165 has theater seating recliners with the folding tables built into the arms of the theater seats.
I'm planning some upgrades, such as adding solar to the roof, and a generator. I'm contemplating whether I should remove the generator from the arctic fox, and swap it into the Eagle Cap, or just buy a new generator. New ones are very expensive, and maybe whoever would buy the arctic fox 1150 is the kind of person who likes to have a remote generator on the end of a cord?
I'll be making a trip from Minnesota to New England to pick it up in October. I can't wait!
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.
23 REPLIES 23

Greg_B
Explorer
Explorer
Nice truck and camper. That's a real clean 1st gen Dodge you have there.
04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new TC!! Real nice.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations, again. Looks good.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at that camper makes me think, “who needs a House”!

Congrats,
3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sweet Camper!
I consider those and the big Host Campers the coup de gras of truck campers!
Also very cool to see the old iron hauling around these white whales without issue. That truck looks clean!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised that I picked up almost 1 mile per gallon hauling the EC vs the AF. Average in the high 11's, and that was driving 70, with some head winds, some tail winds, some calm. It must be the aerodynamic nose cone.

The side winds are more noticeable than on the AF, the EC is bigger and taller.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
My old Dodge celebrated a milestone on the trip. Good job, old girl!

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
So far I absolutely LOVE this camper. It is so comfortable. On the way home, I spent way more time than I planned on, just hanging around inside the camper. I brought the 2" memory foam mattress topper from the old camper and put it on the bed right away. I slept like a log on it, it's even better than my mattress at home.

Here is a shot of the kitchen and bedroom:

And of course the whole reason I decided to give up on my beloved arctic fox and buy the eagle cap, the recliner seats with tables!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Enjoy all the new space.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
THis camper is not equiped with solar, or a built in generator, and it was definetely furnace running weather. So as soon as I got to walmart, I added a third battery to make sure I had enuff juice to get the furnace and my cpap machine thru the night.

The next day was spent running a heavy duty charge wire (4- 10 gauge conductors, 2 are 12v+ and 2 are ground, thru a lift gate connector) from my existing connector to the camper batteries. And getting all my stuff organized and stocking up on some supplies.

The next day was spent sightseeing. I couldn't drive to new England without checking out the coast. Besides, I wanted to add Maine to my list of states visited, making my total 48. Maine had many lighthouses.

One thing I love about truck campers is the easy parking, anywhere cars park.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I drove from my home in Minnesota to New Hampshire late last month to pick up my almost new 2018 Eagle cap 1165.
To get my old truck ready for the extra weight, I took off the Bilstien shocks and put Rancho 9000 adjustables on the back and Monroe gas magnums on the front. Later, I was to find out the shocks were a huge improvement over the Bilstiens. The fronts could still use a little more stiffness, but the rancho 9000's are not available for this application. So I suppose this is the best I can do.

I checked with Torklift about getting a set of Stableloads, but they don't make them for my truck. So I made up a set of 4 in my shop, test fitted them and tossed them in the back seat for install later. My design is simpler than torklifts, but they aren't adjustable. Just on or off. they worked great!

Also I had some trouble with the truck running hot on my last trip. So I looked at the radiator, and there was some mineral build up inside, and the fins had a bunch of bugs mashed in. But the real issue seemed to be the AC condenser. The fins were jammed full of bugs, and smashed up and folded over from pebbles and road debris. So I yanked them both out, and cleaned out the radiator, inside and out. I got a new AC condenser from rock auto and installed it. That solved the heating issue completely. So it was ready for the road.

It took me 2 days to get to New Hampshire, and was a nice scenic drive, but the weather was cold, cloudy, damp and drizzley.
It was dark when I got there, but I laid on the ground and installed my stableloads, that took about 5 minutes. Then backed under. The seller and his neighbor, being the wonderful, helpful gents that they are, insisted on directing my under. You all know how that goes! 30 minutes later, we lowered it onto the truck, and got tied down. The seller included Fastguns, and they fit my frame mount for the old Acrtic Fox.

All the lights worked, so hit the road to the local Walmart, 20 miles away.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Oop’s, I nearly failed to mention that our tour guide Mr Jim Debord was a most cordial and accommodating host who answered all our questions, and I could sense that he was proud of his organization and of what they produce - we never once felt rushed, and later, he (a ‘regular’ kinda guy!) even came out and admired some of my minimalist electrical handy-work (LOL!) on our 10 yr old, second generation (LaGrande owned-builder) EC 995 ...Passing through Yakama from Canada, it was well worth our visit - truthfully, the only downside was that now our single-slide 995 is starting to feel somewhat claustrophobic after being inside a whopping 102” wide triple-slide 1165 !!

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
Thanks for the info, 3 Tons. Sounds good! I wonder if my 2018 EC has the Lamilux 4000?

Yes it does, they’ve been using it for several model years back...It is glued then pinched-rolled (by machine) onto a luan backing. The luan only serves to provide a flat waveless backing for the lamilux, and prevents exterior condensation outlines from forming in coldest weather via the aluminum superstructure...A high density closed-cell foam blocking is used in between all aluminum members...As I said, the Lumilux 4000 is (compared to some common alternatives) surprisingly robust of its own...

3 tons

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, 3 Tons. Sounds good! I wonder if my 2018 EC has the Lamilux 4000?