cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing front springs on 2000 WorkHorse chassis

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to hear from people who have replaced the front springs to eliminate the air bags on a P32 chassis. I recently lost my air bags while on a long trip and now the front end is sagging and not sure replacing the bags will bring it back up. I had to drive it a long way without the bags and I am afraid it made the springs weak. I would appreciate any suggestions and information on where the springs are available.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
22 REPLIES 22

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
They did send a sheet with the springs showing their alignment settings.
🙂
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson should have given you some front end alignment specs if not give them a call. The p30 likes a little extra caster
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I should get it aligned, I had it done when I put new tires on it a few years ago but it sits higher than it ever did now.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Well, I went with the 265's (the 268's were out of stock and my weight looked like 265's were the right ones). I put them in myself. I would not say it was easy but I got it done and am very satisfied. It sits about 3" higher in the front and the bump stops are at the maximum measurement. It actually sits level now which it never did before even when the air bags were working! The hardest part for me was getting the springs "timed" In the correct placement) It rides better, feels better, and drives great. I am glad I did it!
P.S. Thank you to all who replied, your input helped me make my decision!

Good job and you're now done with having those worthless and troublesome air bags forever.
Might want to get it aligned now or just watch it really close for any changes in the tires wear pattern and for catching it early.
If ride height is at max. then so much the better. With two people up front and a little breaking in, they'll probably go down a little bit, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went with the 265's (the 268's were out of stock and my weight looked like 265's were the right ones). I put them in myself. I would not say it was easy but I got it done and am very satisfied. It sits about 3" higher in the front and the bump stops are at the maximum measurement. It actually sits level now which it never did before even when the air bags were working! The hardest part for me was getting the springs "timed" In the correct placement) It rides better, feels better, and drives great. I am glad I did it!
P.S. Thank you to all who replied, your input helped me make my decision!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Thanks Tropical36!
I weighed it today and the front axle was at 5440 lbs without my wife on board, she weights about 120 lbs so I thought I should add 100 lbs. The gawr on the front is 6000 lbs fully loaded. I think I will tell Hendersons that it weighs 5540 lbs. Does that sound reasonable to you? Other than the wife and a couple variables the coach is fully loaded.

The absolute min. would be with the SS265's but I'd probably go with these 268's ..... SHOWN HERE
Have a talk with them, before ordering and yes, you must include the wife or anyone else that might be riding up there, including yourself and a 300lb buddy, so again, would lean to the higher limit.
If I remember correctly and with going a little high, the ride height, was still not at max. and that was after removing the Helwig buggy spring of about 50lbs that wasn't factored in.
Also keep in mind that with near empty fuel, freshwater, grey and black tanks, some of this weight could go forward or at least in theory.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, will certainly want to check ball joints when replacing the springs. Unless perfect, replace them while you are there.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Have you or a professional checked the front suspension ? That chassis has a history of parts wearing out quickly.
Moisheh

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tropical36!
I weighed it today and the front axle was at 5440 lbs without my wife on board, she weights about 120 lbs so I thought I should add 100 lbs. The gawr on the front is 6000 lbs fully loaded. I think I will tell Hendersons that it weighs 5540 lbs. Does that sound reasonable to you? Other than the wife and a couple variables the coach is fully loaded.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Stim wrote:
So the airbags have lasted 18 years and now you want to change suspension parts?
With the airbags you have some height adjustment, ride comfort.
Bags are a pain to change(plenty of tips on line on changing) but much less than springs.

Thing is, once aged and fatigued, you have to change the springs anyway and if continuing with those PITA bags, then OEM coils. Otherwise, you'll never get the proper ride height of 1 1/4 - 2 1/2" for alignment, let alone any real suspension travel.
Continuing with the bags, requires daily checking of the air pressure, while on the road and if one should be lost, then you'll be replacing same in a CG somewhere or be looking for a shop somewhere along the way.

I agree, thanks for your excellent explanation of the situation! As my motorhome sits, with no air in the air bags. There is almost no space between the bump stops ( a little more on one side than the other) so the springs are obviously weakened and worn out.

Good that you're aware, as some actually believe that these bags will lift the front end to any height desired.
Henderson will also send you alignment instructions with the coils.
Just be sure to weigh your front end fully loaded for ordering the right coils and if close to a high limit, then go with the larger and stiffer, would be my recommendation and again, you can always talk with their tech dept. about it and no matter who installs them.
Don't worry about it riding rough, it won't and if your shocks are worn, then install a new set of Bilsteins or Konis' before you get it aligned.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Stim wrote:
So the airbags have lasted 18 years and now you want to change suspension parts?
Bags are a pain to change(plenty of tips on line on changing) but much less than springs.

Thing is, once aged and fatigued, you have to change the springs anyway and if continuing with those PITA bags, then OEM coils. Otherwise, you'll never get the proper ride height of 1 1/4 - 2 1/2" for alignment, let alone any real suspension travel.
Continuing with the bags, requires daily checking of the air pressure, while on the road and if one should be lost, then you'll be replacing same in a CG somewhere or be looking for a shop somewhere along the way.

I agree, thanks for your excellent explanation of the situation! As my motorhome sits, with no air in the air bags. There is almost no space between the bump stops ( a little more on one side than the other) so the springs are obviously weakened and worn out.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
fischer wrote:
Why not put new bags back in the front an see

Why waste money on a band-aide for an on going problem?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Thank you for the replies! Did you install the new springs yourself or have someone else do it? I am considering doing it myself as I don't know who will do it locally. It doesn't look that hard if everything comes apart OK. I do have a shop and tools that should be up to the job. Not sure about me at 73 yrs old. :h LOL

I was close to your age at the time and since Camping World was charging me $50 less for the springs than Henderson would ship to my door, I gave them a go and for what I paid and the amount of work for the two men they put on it, it was probably a right decision.