cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A to Super C

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of moving to a 39 foot diesel pusher class A to a diesel class C. We would like to go shorter - about 35 feet.

We would like one with air bags.

Have any of you made that move? How did it go? For those of you that have a Super C, what do you have and do you like it? What are the pros and cons?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star
13 REPLIES 13

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new Nexus Wraith, 34' long and drove it from Tampa, FL to Raleigh, NC. I agree, it handles very well. No comparison to our 2012 the 35' Winnebago (Class A gas) or to the 2014 32' Forest River Forester class C. It has a much more solid feeling. Ours does not have the air ride system, so the Ghost would somewhat better, I'm guessing.

So far this is the best type of RV we've ever owned, but we've only had it a little over one week.

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new Nexus Wraith, 34' long and drove it from Tampa, FL to Raleigh, NC. I agree, it handles very well. No comparison to our 2012 the 35' Winnebago (Class A gas) or to the 2014 32' Forest River Forester class C. It has a much more solid feeling. Ours does not have the air ride system, so the Ghost would somewhat better, I'm guessing.

So far this is the best type of RV we've ever owned, but we've only had it a little over one week.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the model? Which one was it and how old? Freightliner makes many versions of the M2 chassis that it sounds like you are describing. I had the model with the ISC 350/1000 Cat. I even towed a 8,000lb. trailer around the hilly NE. The fan kick in you described happened very seldom.
Frightliner makes an M2 like the Senecas use that is the ISB Cat with less HP and torque. Some had no air brakes and maybe a cheaper insulation package to save $.

A unit with the engine in front will never be as quiet as one with the engine in the rear. I would rather have something that handles better and don't mind engine sound vs. wind noise and squeaks and rattles. We always laugh when passing the white knuckle cheap A's while I have 1 finger on the wheel cruising.

You really need to test drive the units you are considering in the environment where you will use them.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a trip and at one campground, there was a Super C parked next to us. It was built on the Freightliner chassis. He was not happy with the engine noise. He said when the fan kicked in on hills, it sounded like an aircraft taking off.

Do all of the Super C's have issues with engine noise?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both. Winnebago Journey then Jayco Seneca then Jayco Embark. There is a HUGE difference in what are named Super C's. There is small stuff that drives worse than a short DP and there is big stuff on a class 8 chassis that drives like an Escalade. I like the Super C much,much better for driving. It is stiffer ride but better road feel. I have never seen a Super C with air ride front. Some of the cheap ones are much noisier. You pretty much lose the front 8' for anything but driving/bunk. Less underneath and overall storage. Can't get into some A parks.
If I could not go to tag axle DP it would be big Super C.
Go drive what you want to buy and try it. Many do not have air bags if that is what you need. Good Luck

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I have about 50,000 miles driven in a 2008 , 38 foot, Itasca Meridan on an XC Freightliner chassis and now about 20,000 miles in a 36 foot Nexus Ghost on an International Dura Star chassis.

Super C has more power, more wind and engine noise, easier driver access, better engine access.
Class A had a better overall ride because of front air suspension, better turning radius.
Driver fatigue about same.
Yearly service cost on Super C 50% less.

Rich

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be interested in comments from those who have spent considerable time driving both a DP and a super C (please mention which models).
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Crosswinds are no problem. It tracks pretty straight.
There is plenty if basement storage in mine—that varies by model I’m sure.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
What about storage? How is the handling? How does it handle crosswinds? We had to put a hitch saver on the rear to clear the driveway. How is the clearance and the overhang?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
b17drvr wrote:
I like my super C because it is built like a tank. I think they are much safer than a class A.
Mine is a Nexus Ghost 34DS and is easy do drive. No problems passing semi trucks and handles well in strong winds.

Same with me. Also my wife will drive our Ghost. After sitting in the cab of a Class A, she said she wouldn't drive it. I could have gotten her past this but very few Class A diesels are 26K or less GVW.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if there would actually be better chances in a Super C. In the above post,the height advantage of an A probably cancels out the Super C's airbag and nose. A crash into a bigger vehicle would probably favor the Super C but the vast majority of wrecks involve a passenger car. Over the years there have been a lot of accidents shown here and Class As fare very well even in pretty serious wrecks with cars since you are up so much higher and the incoming vehicle is running edge-on into the floor of the coach in a side collision and the 'battering ram' attached to the frame rails from the front.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having driven MB cars in the 70’s because they were the safest cars available I am concerned about my safety in a RV.
I do not know of a super C with air suspension on the front axle...probably not a deal breaker.
I hear how much safer a super C is supposed to be over a A??? In most crashes the floor of a big A is higher than the bulk of most vehicles...might want to raise your feet up. Tangle with another large vehicle head on and the super C should help. From the side being a little higher in a A may help.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
I like my super C because it is built like a tank. I think they are much safer than a class A.
Mine is a Nexus Ghost 34DS and is easy do drive. No problems passing semi trucks and handles well in strong winds.