cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your input - Motorhome and boondocking..

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from a trip - Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and points in between. Most of it was reimbursed via mileage, etc. I stayed at RV parks. Since I plan to retire soon, looking for ways to cut parking costs.

How many of you use public lands (NPS, BLM) and other boondocking sites with motorhomes. From what I see, most are down an unpaved "road". Some look more like the path in granddads wheat field when I was a kid. I am not opposed to going down a dirt/gravel road for a short distance (if I have room to turn around), but look like they are miles from pavement.

I guess my main concern is getting stuck in soft dirt/sand. Already drove in sand that if I had slowed down, let's say it would not have been good.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)
24 REPLIES 24

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We have a trip planned for this winter and going to loop around 8 or 9 states and I can list on one hand the places we plan on stopping that offer electricity, most places are BLM or Forest Service lands.Benchmark maps are wonderful for finding places to camp. Just remember go up in summer and down in winter.

Sounds like our kind of trip! I agree, the Benchmark series of individual state road atlases is ideal if you like this kind of camping.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned for this winter and going to loop around 8 or 9 states and I can list on one hand the places we plan on stopping that offer electricity, most places are BLM or Forest Service lands.Benchmark maps are wonderful for finding places to camp. Just remember go up in summer and down in winter.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most tricky kind of boondock camping is that in which your rig is a comfortable large motorhome but with no toad. The most reliable and comfortable kind of boondock camping is that in which you have two vehicles along - i.e. a large motorhome plus a toad. The in-between kind of boondock camping is that in which your living quarters gives you the capability to move around in a tow vehicle independent of a living area - i.e. a TT or 5'er RV. The kind of boondock camping in which you want somewhat comfortable living quarters with you at all times so that you don't have go back to a pre-setup camping spot at the end of the day ... is a small motorhome with no toad or a truck camper with no toad.

We boondock/drycamp some, but not as a " camping goal" per se. We do it short term when we must, due to being way out somewhere for other reasons. Our RV is a well equipped rear wheel drive 24 foot Class C with mud/snow traction tires and decent ground clearance on a 158 inch wheelbase, so it's fairly easy to stay out of trouble on unknown roads. We just go slow and careful in dry weather and have so far done well - including such places as out in Death Valley off a 4X4 road.

We keep our small Class C ready for pretty much anything all of the time: Two generators, large capacity engine alternator, spare tire, tire repairing equipment, jack, shovel, unstuck boards, commecial rated tow chain, spare battery charger, various spare parts for the RV's appliances/electrical/plumbing, engine fluids and spare serpentine belt, some spare gasoline, satellite based communication equipment, a large capacity 12V fan that can be used inside or outside, outside BBQ, full power 120V compressor, lots of blankets, insulation for the windows, large propane powered outdoor firepit, covers for the roof vents, a bunch of medical equipment including medicines/first aid supplies/crutches/heating pad, insulation for the windows, 12V grey/black tank heaters, heated freshwater tank, food for at least a week, extra water, etc.. Our tank capacities are also pretty generous for a small Class C.

My approach to drycamping has been one of "super comfortable backpacking" -> have everything along with you in order to deal with anything anywhere as hassle-free as possible, quickly, comfortably, reliably, and safely.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
i boondock off state gravel roads which are rated for logging trucks. Turn around lots or landings could be a mile away. These are travel at own risk during winter conditions.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of big rigs get off of the beaten path. I unhook my trailer and scout ahead if I am not familiar with a road. You can easily do the same with your toad.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We don't 'boondock' persay. But we do a lot of non-hookup CG's. You say you're retired then you should qualify (62) for the Senior Inter Agency pass. Gives you a 50% discount on FS type CG's. We just stayed 3 nights for $21 total near Sisters Or in a CG.
Paved road going thru with gravel spurs. Most all the CG's we use are like that. I agree, staying in RV parks can get pretty spendy. Plus the atmosphere isn't always the best. Just something to think about.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
The โ€œonlyโ€ possible negative would be ground clearance issues....should be very careful where you go. You may be backing out!

Particularly in forested areas, the overall height can also be a pretty significant issue. (I guess that's mostly in comparison with trailers; many truck campers are pretty tall.)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There are a ton of ways to save money RVing. One you mentioned, and that is boondocking. Checkout Free Campsites and Campendium
Another is stick around awhile, spend a week or so at each site and check out the area. Most BLM and Forest Services Campgrounds have a 14 day limit so take advantage. Saves on gas and we have found some hidden gems.
Look for passes that you qualify for. The feds offer some National Passes and check out each state you visit. New Mexico has a great annual pass for its state parks. It costs $225 but after that, dry camping is free and places with electricity are about $4 a night. They mostly have showers and flush toilets so its worth the price.
Happy camping

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Tax_Man wrote:
Thanks for the replies so quickly. Wondering if you have seen motorhomes at BLM, FS, and other off the beaten path sights. I will use the information given and again, thank you.

Here's a couple of bloggers who do it all the time (well Wheeling It just moved to France, so they are not currently bookdocking):

Travel With the Bayfield Bunch:

http://thebayfieldbunch.com/search?q=Boondocking

Wheeling It:

https://wheelingit.us/category/boondocking-2/

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest issue I have had is with the windshield. Have to be careful and not get to twisted up or the windshield will flex and sounds like it is going to shatter.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
The โ€œonlyโ€ possible negative would be ground clearance issues....should be very careful where you go. You may be backing out!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see...many many people chose this way over traditional camp grounds. Sometimes it's about the cash, sometimes it's about the view.

There are tricks to be developed...things to learn. Maybe the best tip is...get out and go for a walk if you are unsure. If you are towing? That's a great scout vehicle.

North America is choc-a-block full of great camping. A person just needs to slow down a bit...get off the Interstates (in US) and use Google maps and over-view to it's fullest. And ask here..once you are known..people will PM you their secret spots and you will be shocked at what their is out there.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
For true off road scout it out first...to dry and lots of dust and to wet and it could get expensive. Love the ability to dry camp for a week without cutting back on anything and longer if you want to conserve water.

^^^^^^Has worked for Us too.^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly we boondocked on BLM and national forest roads all the time with our 40' motorhome. Many, many are good hard-packed roads. We never had an issue. You would soon get the hang of choosing the right roads. The Benchmark individual state atlases are excellent. It shows unpaved roads clearly and the majority that are marked we found to be good. You wouldn't want to take a big rig on a logging road and coastal area roads could be iffy because of sand. We also went off-road on our summer trip to Alaska through Canada and the Yukon. You'll find awesome spots to stay free by exploring a little!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel