cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Is this buyer of my trailer trying to scam me?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, so I got very excited because I thought I finally found a buyer for my trailer. He refers to himself as "Mr. Frost" and is older. They sent me a cashier's check for my trailer, which pays the full amount + shipping. However, the cashier's check looks to be from a different funding source other than Mr. Frost.

He says that he already has a shipping company to use called "Shippers Incorporated" and that the extra cash from the cashier's check will be used to pay the shipping company when they arrive because "they're an old company and only accept cash."

As much as I want to deposit this check, the scam hairs on my neck keep standing up. I've read of similar scams online where a buyer of something expensive e-mails you, is on the other side of the country (Mr. Frost is in Ohio) and they use their own shipping company.

The part that makes me think it might be legit is that we already have a cashier's check. If we deposit a cashier's check could they do a stop payment on it?

I'm really concerned about this guys. I haven't deposited the check, signed any paperwork or given the location of the trailer. So many parts of this deal match other scams... but we already have the cashier's check which is the one part that's different. Any thoughts please? Thank you!
100 REPLIES 100

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Let me tell you a story. A young couple living in a rented mobile home on our property listed their FW for sale and received a cashier's check(sight unseen) for the unit plus a more than generous "shipping fee". They were, of course, thrilled and hurried down to the bank to deposit the check and awaited the "shipping company" to come pick up the unit. Now, these young people did not have a checking account, so they prevailed on her parents to let them deposit the check in their account. In 2 days, the prospective buyer called and regretfully said he couldn't go through with the sale, his wife and son had been in a terrible auto accident and he needed all the money he could scrape up, so could they please wire him the money back? These naive young people swallowed the story hook, line and sinker. After all, it was a cashier's check, what could go wrong? They had her parents wire the money back to the "purchaser". Two days later the cashier's check was returned as fraudulent, the purchaser had disappeared, as well as the $8,500 from the parent's account. If you deposit the check and it is fraudulent, your bank will probably charge you a fee (I think it's $35 or $40 nowadays).
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
Being mailed a cashiers check with a little extra thrown in for shipping on a travel trailer being bought site unseen???

Sure thing bro' sounds like a sweet deal better get that check to the bank before the buyer backs out.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
He didn't sell. He agreed (reluctantly) that it was likely a scam. He is keeping RV. This horse is successfully beaten.

The horse is not successfully beaten. See dodge guy's post above. We still need an answer as to why the OP originally wanted to sell the camper because he could use the cash, but now it's ok to keep it and buy land to put it on. Something smells like male cow feces.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
OregonMan wrote:
Thank god for that $10,000 daily deposit limit.. almost deposited these funds via mobile last night.

Always remember...those SCAM hairs on the back of your neck are there for a reason, listen to them....

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
He didn't sell. He agreed (reluctantly) that it was likely a scam. He is keeping RV. This horse is successfully beaten.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Scam, scam and more scam. Fake Cashiers checks are everywhere.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't read through all the post but please know this is a scam. I have worked in law enforcement for 27 years for a smaller Department and we see these same things on a regular basis. My Dad got taken for over $5000.00 in a different type of scam. If it sounds too good to be true it without a doubt is too good to be true.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OregonMan wrote:
Decided to keep the trailer. I really do like it and next step gonna buy a little slice of land where I can store it and live occasionally. Thanks for all the replies this community is pretty awesome.

So wait you needed to sell it because you "could really use the cash" and now your going to keep it and buy some land?!!!!! :h
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to keep the trailer. I really do like it and next step gonna buy a little slice of land where I can store it and live occasionally. Thanks for all the replies this community is pretty awesome.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto on probably asking too much.

My area - people are asking same or more for a used trailer than a new one costs.

Common mistake when folks are upside down due to 15+ year loans and paying top dollar for new TT's.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Marshfly
Explorer
Explorer
The reason he didn't want to use your PO Box is because if that fake check went through the mail it becomes a federal felony for mail fraud.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OregonMan wrote:
I should have mentioned: he paid me 7 grand over my asking price to cover the "shipping." I thought that was really excessive. To me it feels like someone trying to rob me out of 7 grand and a trailer. Really hope I'm wrong but confidence is low at this juncture.

Is this thread actually a joke? Didn't get to the last page, but....dang.
BTW, market is hot for RVs in this economy. If it hasn't sold, quit dreaming and lower the price, as hard is it may be to swallow of your upside down on it or something.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a good deal, Mr. Freeze. I will sell you my trailer if you Western Union me $25,000 first and we can proceed from there. Tell your uncle he sure is swell. Thanks!

Clockman wrote:
Greetings....This is MR. Freeze../// Mr Frost is my Uncle and is scammer... I will buy your trailer from you// Just send me your Signed Pink Slip, and my Shipping team will show up with a money order made out to your name...We will then hook up the trailer to our Shippers truck and then drive to your bank so that you can verify the funds.... //// We will wait for you outside while you do that....////