cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1997 Damon Ultrasport Class C motorhome

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone own one or know of anyone who has owned one? I'm not finding many online to compare prices to. Most Ultrasports appear to be Class A's.

Just trying to determine if they are a quality rig. Thank you.
1985 Class C Chevy Rockwood, 27'
Fulltiming since June, 2016. Flying solo but I'm never alone.
Fear not the unknown, but the fear itself.
6 REPLIES 6

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
I just realized I never came back after I went to see this motorhome. I was turned off by a few things. It was so much different in person. He said there were no leaks and never had any but in the cabover, I could see a stain on the ceiling, along the sidewall over the passenger seat, and the whole seam going from left to right in the very front of the cabover had clearly leaked. If I had opened more cabinets, I'm sure I'd have found more.

There was a severely chipped countertop. I don't know what could have done that other than a dog that was a counter surfer. The overall condition and quality was just not nearly as impressive as what I already have. I called him out on the water leaks and that was the last thing I looked at before saying, "I'm going to pass", shook his hand and drove all the way back up to Elephant Butte, NM. (It was in Las Cruces.)

It was a long 3+ hour drive in the heat, round trip. I went home feeling oddly content with my current RV and had a renewed sense of gratitude for her.

The search continues.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheryl_B wrote:
Thanks, everyone. Dale, I appreciate that link so much! I went and plugged in what I knew and he's asking pretty much what the book value is. I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I don't know anyone in the area to take it to in order to have it inspected but I have a good gut feeling. Second owner. Driven it all over the country and put 30K miles on it in the last 5 years.

I have been fulltiming for over 2 years now. I know what to look for and I will remove my rose-colored glasses when I step outside my own rig to walk over and check out his. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Will come back tomorrow and report on what happened. Wish me luck.

My advice would be to look for a mobile RV mechanic OR ask another RV'er to accompany you .The more eyes on something the better.
I have wrenched on equipment forever and i have missed items during inspections.

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Dale, I appreciate that link so much! I went and plugged in what I knew and he's asking pretty much what the book value is. I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I don't know anyone in the area to take it to in order to have it inspected but I have a good gut feeling. Second owner. Driven it all over the country and put 30K miles on it in the last 5 years.

I have been fulltiming for over 2 years now. I know what to look for and I will remove my rose-colored glasses when I step outside my own rig to walk over and check out his. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Will come back tomorrow and report on what happened. Wish me luck.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
You can look it up in Nada to get an idea of a price. Try here:
Ultrasport

I didn't know the length or the engine, so I couldn't really look further, but you can plug that in.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1997 Damon Hornet 2754b Class C. Pretty solid for it's age.
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If they were a quality rig twenty-one years of lousy maintenance will make it bad. Are you going to have it inspected?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad