cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2400 Mile round trip

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Took off from Eastern Washington in my 2017 Ram Cummins 2500 pulling a wildcat maxx 28rkx probably weighing close to 10k, its about 8k dry. Man that truck pulls that trailer good. On flat stretches I would put in 6th gear and let it go and on hills or passes would lock in 5th and it just straight pulls. Even had to make a pitstop in Havre Montana to pick up two combine tires for my cousin which probably weighed 700 pounds or so, so I had a pretty good load. I never did hand calculated mileage but computer said overall for the 2400 miles was 12.7mpg. Glad I wasnt making that trip with the 6.4 hemi i traded in for the cummins.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB
51 REPLIES 51

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NW WA to SoCal n back every year double towing 9mpg hand calc AVERAGE. 35K combined load.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I towed the TT in my sig from Harlingen TX to Fairmont WV. I average 12.8 MPG till Nashville, TN and from there to Fairmont. The overall MPG was 12.3, the hills knocked the mileage down somewhat. I used tow haul mode in manual, set it in sixth gear, engaged the engine brake and cruise control and let the computer handle the power.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Old ones tow easy too. We'll do 500-600 miles a day but we tow light, only 8K and nail down 14.5 mpg in the flats.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No ignore for me....heโ€™s good entertainment.
I actually like the pics of all the Aussie rigs. Itโ€™s unfortunate the attitude comes with them....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Annnnd back on ignore goes RR.... nice job necro'ing a thread 3 months old.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What??

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

This part of the world that sort of mileage is common. Grey Nomads surprise me in what distances they cover

Australian little trucks get that kind of mileage with a total combined weight of 19,400 lbs(8,800 kg) towing through mountains roads that are above 9k ft elevation? I seriously doubt it, especially since Australia does not have roads that high with the highest point in Australia is only 7,300 k.

Not only do Aussie trucks get that kind of mileage, the fuel there is made of unicorn farts, so the emissions are nothing but fairy dust while performing those seemingly impossible tasks!

You seemingly have no idea doubt you have driven far out of your own State Most US RV's travel is a lot less than they do here.

Lol, you must be right??
Go pump some more unicorn farts in your Ute and expel some fairy dust hauling your caravan through the outback....maybe then youโ€™ll lose internet service and not be abke to talk out your arse....

Small talk from people who cannot do the same thing. Jealousy does strange things:B

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Doing some math here on the fuel consumption stats. Looking at the 2,300 mile trip listed above and my estimates show cost savings on the low side of $100 and up to $235 on the high side.

Personally I average 3,000 miles towing (and 50 nights camping) annually. So at my current pace I'm paying worst case of $300 more per year in fuel than a diesel owner.

I still expect to be tempted by diesel the next time I'm buying a tow vehicle, but I know it won't pay for itself in fuel costs alone.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

This part of the world that sort of mileage is common. Grey Nomads surprise me in what distances they cover

Australian little trucks get that kind of mileage with a total combined weight of 19,400 lbs(8,800 kg) towing through mountains roads that are above 9k ft elevation? I seriously doubt it, especially since Australia does not have roads that high with the highest point in Australia is only 7,300 k.

Not only do Aussie trucks get that kind of mileage, the fuel there is made of unicorn farts, so the emissions are nothing but fairy dust while performing those seemingly impossible tasks!

You seemingly have no idea doubt you have driven far out of your own State Most US RV's travel is a lot less than they do here.

Lol, you must be right??
Go pump some more unicorn farts in your Ute and expel some fairy dust hauling your caravan through the outback....maybe then youโ€™ll lose internet service and not be abke to talk out your arse....

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tomorrow we are going for a little boat ride.

2 ร— MAN 14V48/60CR (2 ร— 16,800 kW)
2 ร— MAN 12V48/60CR (2 ร— 14,400 kW)

83,680 HP

Wonder what kind of mileage it gets?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RAM lie-o-meter can be as much as 1 MPG high. Usually around .7 MPG high. Very seldom close to hand calculate. Tow 3200-3500 miles each year in Western States from sea level to up to 6k+. Lots up and downs. Downs never seem to make up for the pulls up. Bombed 2001.5 did better than new 2015, however load is 3.5 to 4K more. Had to drive the tranny and pyro a lot more with the 2001.5, with the 2015 towing is a dream. What other 8500+ vehicle type gets that kind of mileage other than a SRW diesel with tall final ratios, and can tow a 16-17k 5th wheel without breaking a sweat?

Then we did a run from Phoenix to Palm Springs without the trailer driving 75 to 78, some times over 80 with winds and averaged 19+ hand calculated.

Love my 3.42 gears/Aisin tranny.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Good old RobertRyan always stirring the pot.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
Yeah I think you're beating your head against a wall trying to explain stuff like that to Aussie's.

So they drive a lap around their flat island sandbox in their tiny trucks with "caravans" and it's some kind of accomplishment because some of it isn't paved?

Heck, I could put more miles on in one trip from Florida to Alaska and back.

We just got back from a 14 day trip from Western Wa, thru Eastern WA up into Banff and Jasper, then thru Yoho and Kelowna then down the Coquihalla into Hope and back home.

My 15' F450 had over 3000 lbs in the bed, trailer loaded up was only at 10,500. Truck is lifted on 35" Toyo M608's with 4.30 gears. Pulled some nice grades on that trip...two that stuck in my mind were Kootenay pass, and the climb up out of Kelowna...no clue what that one was called.

Hand calculated mileage for the entire trip including about 30% of driving without the trailer was 11mpg.

I was pretty happy with that at first, but then I read this thread and was reminded...the Aussie trucks could have done the same thing and gotten 12.5 mpg....

You obviously do not have a clue about what you have posted, but then it is expected to be that ignorant as you come from the US. Seems US Citizens are the main culprits especially ones who have not ventured outside NA or even their own state

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:
Took off from Eastern Washington in my 2017 Ram Cummins 2500 pulling a wildcat maxx 28rkx probably weighing close to 10k, its about 8k dry. Man that truck pulls that trailer good. On flat stretches I would put in 6th gear and let it go and on hills or passes would lock in 5th and it just straight pulls. Even had to make a pitstop in Havre Montana to pick up two combine tires for my cousin which probably weighed 700 pounds or so, so I had a pretty good load. I never did hand calculated mileage but computer said overall for the 2400 miles was 12.7mpg. Glad I wasnt making that trip with the 6.4 hemi i traded in for the cummins.

We spent the last couple weeks of August doing a similar trip, about 2300 miles from western WA through ID, MT, WY (Yellowstone/Grand Teton), and back through ID, and OR. Pulling a 7500lb trailer with a 2016 Duramax 2500 loaded with family, generator, Kayaks, etc. Computer calculated 12.7 MPG for that whole trip as well. I felt the same way you did...so happy I wasn't using my previous Silverado 1/2 ton 5.3 gasser!
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH