cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Road trip, 2019

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks.. a year or so ago I posted an epic road trip from Manitoba to British Columbia and back via the USA - the input was fantastic an our trip was amazing.

So...we begin again.

The plan, No more driving to make miles, planning on 3 to 5 hours behind the wheel a per day, working on about a 25 to 30 day itinerary.

Daughter will be 13, DW and I are just approaching a healthy 50.

I'll be hauling a 13k pound load - including a 31 foot cougar. We have a generator and I'll outfit with about 600 watts of solar and some new t105's

Nothing is cut in stone, other than Dawson ...

Im an amazing drone pilot and we like the less than commercial tourist stops and typically gravitate to hot springs and grilled food.

all thoughts are welcomed

Google map route
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission
31 REPLIES 31

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jacketsbum wrote:
We will be making the trip in May 2019 also from Ohio. I have a 2017 mile post I don't know if I should update it or not I don't know how much changes up there.

If anyone starts at rollcall 2019 Alaska Count me in !!!!

No need to buy another Milepost. The history and roads aren't going to change. The only thing left is advertising. Definitely get the Church's Alaskan Camping book and go by that.... much more reliable.

How about YOU starting the Roll Call 2019 post? 🙂 It certainly doesn't require a lot of work; everyone contributes.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Jacketsbum:
You should get the north American add on. It charges when you are in Canada. It doesnot have any effect. ake sure your phone is capable of global system. Most newer phones are.
I would not get a new Milepost. Yes, there will be some places that may have closed, but tourist activity would be the same. I would get the latest edition of Church's Alaska Camping to go along with Milepost.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
We will be making the trip in May 2019 also from Ohio. I have a 2017 mile post I don't know if I should update it or not I don't know how much changes up there. Information found on this form is in valuable I have bookmarked several sites that are here. Cell phone service up there is a little confusing. we went to eastern Canada, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia last year and our AT&T cell phone with unlimited service worked perfectly no extra charges at all. It automatically switched to Bell, Rogers or Telus depending on where we were. Was abltstream Cleveland Indians games from very remote areas.. We are switching over to Verizon however and was wondering if it will be the same thing. I have read conflicting reports on Verizon service on this forum however if I am reading it right I should not have a problem.
If anyone starts at rollcall 2019 Alaska Count me in !!!!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
We're also making an Alaska trip in 2019. Probably taking a month, leaving from Seattle around late June.

I've driven the Alcan several times and grew up in Alaska, but this will be a first trip for my wife and two teenage boys.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The Alaska Highway has been under construction since it was originally built. Our last trip only found gravel road sections in the construction areas.
Scenery blah? Did you forget to open your eyes?
Much of the Alaska Highway was in good shape. Portions of the Glennallen Highway hasn't changed much over the years. Views are outstanding looking across valley toward the Matanuska and other glaciers.
Each trip we make the scenery is always changing. Things like black bears eating dadelions along side of the road. Caribuo laying along the road, Wood Buffalo laying in the road.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back into the US near Seattle. Had a great trip through AK starting from Calgary. The Alkan was, to us, interesting and we’re glad we took the route but found overall to not be worth doing again. Most of the scenery along the Alkan was kind of blah. There were a few really nice places but not enough to warrant the distance and time. The road on the Canada side is dirt but really good. 45+ almost all the way. The Alaska side is ****. They could do better without even trying hard. If we go again we’ll start around Seattle and head north from there. Scenery in BC was absolutely stunning as well as the rest all the way to Homer. All in all it was a fantastic trip. I hope all of you that would like to go get the chance. What an experience!!!!!

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if they are still doing it, but the folks at the Dawson Creek Visitor Centrre have a one page handout (free) that is the most up-to-date listing of campgrounds & fuel stops along the Canadian section of the Alaskan Highway.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, 2gypsies and Dale. I was pretty sure Milepost updated every year, and wondered if Church's did, too. I'll probably get the current Church's for winter reading material and get the new Milepost when it comes out. Due to family commitments, we cannot leave before mid-July anyway (barring anything unforeseen).
Thanks again to all who contribute to this forum.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
K_and_I wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Looks like the latest is 2017.
Church's

I found the 2017 version. I didn't know how often they update it. If they do a 2019 version, I would wait for that. From what I found, it looks like maybe 3-4 year cycle.

I'm thinking their updates may be in a five-year cycle. BUT, they do updates to all their books on their website. Church's webstie.

You could also message them from their website.

I did like the Milepost as well. If you buy your own new copy, you can also get the digital edition for on your computer which is pretty nice. To me, it was like a history book of the area. We used both the Church's book and the Milepost. We had purchased an older Milepost the year before since the newest wasn't out. It's published new every year. We used the old copy to research and plan some things we wanted to do, then just before our trip, we bought the newest one.

Also, once on the Alaska Highway, when you stop for fuel, etc., grab a booklet published for the area. They are free and are guides to the areas. They give camping tips, adverts of local businesses, etc. We found a lot of interesting sites there. I wished I had kept them. They were very informative.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's difficult to keep campground information up-to-date as things close every year up there, including fuel stations so always drive on the top 1/2 of your tank and don't consider waiting for a better price.

I'd feel very comfortable using the most recent book. There wouldn't be many changes. If in doubt, call the campground.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Church's

I found the 2017 version. I didn't know how often they update it. If they do a 2019 version, I would wait for that. From what I found, it looks like maybe 3-4 year cycle.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Church's

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
You might get a copy of Mike and Terri Church's Alaska Camping.

Alaska Camping

He is an Alaska native and they have extensive knowledge of the state. They give you lots of options on things to see and do and places to camp.

Dale

Do you know how often they update this book? The DW and I are also planning a 2019 trip.
Thanks

It is getting rather outdated, at least the campground info. The info about routes and roads should still be good. CG info was outdated when I made my pilgrimage in 2014
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
You might get a copy of Mike and Terri Church's Alaska Camping.

Alaska Camping

He is an Alaska native and they have extensive knowledge of the state. They give you lots of options on things to see and do and places to camp.

Dale

Do you know how often they update this book? The DW and I are also planning a 2019 trip.
Thanks
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604