cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at Newfoundland for 2019

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking into NF for next summer and wondering what a handicapped person will be able to see. I use a small electric TravelScoot scooter to get arun and nothing is ever mentioned on descriptions of handicapped accessability. Using a Roadtrek 19'
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford
9 REPLIES 9

wif
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I have a former co-worker who is now retired and living in Norris Point. We are planning a lengthy visit with the 5ver upon retirement in a few years.

Can't wait.

Norris Point this year while staying in Gros Morne

Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I have a former co-worker who is now retired and living in Norris Point. We are planning a lengthy visit with the 5ver upon retirement in a few years.

Can't wait.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did NL a couple years ago. A month went by fast. We did June primarily to catch the peak of the iceberg season. NL is not Disney. The people are wonderful but facilities are seldom handicapped compliant outside of the few major towns.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you leave a good month to visit...at least. We went in 2013 thinking it was a once in a lifetime trip and now we go every couple of years. We free camp for most of the time...only getting campsites when needed.

What do you like to do?

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from our second visit to NL. I disagree that it is the same as the US as far as accessibility.

As in the US, however, the most thorough accessibility features will be in a National Park like Gros Morne and in some provincial parks.

In NLโ€™s small towns where youโ€™ll spend most of your time, youโ€™ll find mixed features. For example, you may (or may not) find ramps or large restrooms and doorways. I noticed that campgrounds rarely have bathrooms with large stalls for people with disabilities. Paved paths and sidewalks are not the norm in small towns, but you often find them at some visitor-oriented places, such as lighthouses.

We found that all the ferries (Marine Atlantic as well as local ferries to places like Fogo Island) had elevators. Important: When you arrive at Marine Atlantic in PAB or Argentia and check in at the entry gate in your RV, tell them why you need an elevator parking location belowdecks. They will give you a specially marked windshield card, and dock workers will direct you to a particular waiting lane pre-boarding for those who need easy elevator access. There will be a ramp to the elevator entry lobby. Otherwise, if you are in line with all other RVs, the tight vehicle spacing will make it difficult to use a scooter or power chair to reach the elevator. (You cannot remain in your vehicle on ferries.)

Newfoundlanders are among the friendliest people on the planet. So make your needs known and theyโ€™ll be very helpful. Please feel free to send a private message if you have a question and Iโ€™ll try to answer.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
3 years ago we took our RT 190P to Newfoundland. Spent about 4 weeks actually on the island. No scooter, but my wife has a walking disability, will use a wheelchair at times, and we managed to thoroughly enjoy ourselves.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
What types of things are you interested in? There is a huge variety of things to see and do. We have about centuries of history, starting with the Vikings at L' Anse Aux Meadows on the Northern Peninsula, then up to modern history with the first Trans-Atlantic wireless message. There are lots of local festivals featuring local musicians, whales, icebergs etc.

Tell us what interests you and we can point you in the right direction.
Dan

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Newfoundland is a BIG place. Friendly, beautiful, a bit pricey - gas is on the far side of $4.00 US per gallon.

Port aux Basques to St. Johns is pushing 600 miles, with no side ventures. Wander around a bit, and you're well over 1,000 miles on the island.

We like to take the ferry to Argentia, spend the time we like on the island, the leave from Port aux Basques.

My wife especially likes sitting on the forecastle of the North Sydney to Argentia overnight ferry and watching the stars. It's soooooooo dark, and we always try to book passage for that leg when it's a new moon.

One of my favorite parts of the island is the northern peninsula. 'Tis peaceful, delightful, gorgeous.

Our plans include going back next year. This time we'll go over to Labrador as well.

Less than three weeks on "the rock" is just not enough time to wander around to all the corners.

Enjoy.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The same as in the USA. Be sure to go during iceberg sessions.

Currently only 4

Notice the date of this photo.
Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos