cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adopting older "kids"

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Along the way, we had 4, count them, 4 rescued King Charles Spaniels at one time. Our very first and turned out to be our last(surviving her three younger sisters) made the Journey to the Rainbow Bridge about 5 months ago. We still have two other rescues(a mini Schnauzer and a Wire haired Mini Dachshund).

I realize we are setting ourselves up for heartbreak but we may soon adopt two matched King Charles Spaniels that are 13 years old. Unusual circumstances make it necessary for the owner to leave the "kids" behind(owner is leaving the country and her concern is the long flight and a month long quarantine would be too much for the kids to handle)….I tend to agree with her thinking.

Anyways....I know its the right thing to do for the Doggies(giving them a Loving Home for whatever time(years hopefully) they have left. We've adopted an older doggie before so this is not completely unheard of.

Anyone else here adopt older ones...any regrets(I can't imagine any)...any words of wisdom? Thanks for listening....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
49 REPLIES 49

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteer at a small dog senior dog rescue. Somehow we ended up with 7. Traveled with 6. Next month we see how 7 do.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started rescuing before "fostering" was a thing. I did it on my own - if I couldn't find a home, the animal was mine. There were some that I was very happy to find a home for. 🙂

One thing I always did was to offer free babysitting when the new owners needed. It allowed me to see how the animal was doing. The best part was that when they brought the dog over, it would be "oh OK I guess that was just temporary. OK I'll live here again".

When the owners came to get the dog, it would do a Sally Field "you like me! You really really like me!"

The owners would call me a few days later to say how much more attached the dog was to them - it just seems to really let the dog know it has a real home and its own people.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the guess logical step for us, as we ourselves get older, would be to start Fostering. Our age certainly does play into the matrix of adopting "kids" these days but the two younger ones we have, one was a stray wandering the streets of Bakersfield and the other was a youngster from a trip to Branson, Mo. So we not only went to some Great shows, we came away with an adoptee from The Humane Society....Oh, by the way, that was a month long RV trip to Branson with our other 3 doggies at that time, one more making four once again. We know about thinking of the "kid's" when purchasing an RV even though we took them Tent camping too.

Yes, the heartache is tremendous when losing one BUT the memories, the Love, the enrichment of our lives, the companionship etc etc of these precious Angels, no matter the length you are able to shower them with Love..... it's priceless!!!:B
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I was just commenting on another Forum about Fostering...God Bless those that can do this. We'd end up with hundreds of "kid's", not wanting to let any of them go!!

With that being said, Potter has made his way home with us. The meet and greet didn't materialize but we went into Hollywood, Ca and picked this precious Cavalier up. The person in possession of Potter at this time was the owners sister who did not have the same attachment to Potter as her sister in Boston, Ma( where Potter spent his entire life until 6 months ago).

All seems well, all the other "kid's" are getting along well with Potter and he is enjoying the freedom of a larger house and backyard along with the ability to go in and out as he pleases(while we are home anyways). He's doing plenty of exploring and sniffing...:-)

fostering is both rewarding and heartbreaking at times. each dog is a different personality. some steal your heart and its heartbreaking to let them go but when you get great updates from their furever home its makes it all worthwhile. others such as 2 very sweet highly energetic 8 month old sisters (jack russell/chi mixes) who were non-stop hyper were very easy to let go. LOL our 4 personal dogs at the time were very happy when they left.

practically everyone that fosters at some point "foster fails" (adopts a foster) it is totally normal. 2 of our "foster failures" are special needs (puppy mill and hoarding backgrounds). after over a year of fostering wife and i made the decision to adopt.

these 2 plus our other 2 personal small dogs do great RVing. they are the main reason we bought our first RV a couple years ago, so we could more easily travel with them.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
einy wrote:
We have fostered over 30 dogs, and have just taken in our very first senior this week. Meet Susie, a 9 yo poodle. She's so loving and sweet, and just wants a warm place to call home after a long rough road. Senior needs are simple.

Here she is sunning herself with our resident fur balls.

Bless you. She's a beautiful girl.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
That's Beautiful to have such a Big heart to take in Foster's....as I said, I don't think we could do it. I'd post a Picture of him(Potter) but I'm terrible when it comes to that on this site.

Our Rosie is doing well with the new addition too! 🙂
96 Vogue Prima Vista

einy
Explorer
Explorer
We have fostered over 30 dogs, and have just taken in our very first senior this week. Meet Susie, a 9 yo poodle. She's so loving and sweet, and just wants a warm place to call home after a long rough road. Senior needs are simple.

Here she is sunning herself with our resident fur balls.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I was just commenting on another Forum about Fostering...God Bless those that can do this. We'd end up with hundreds of "kid's", not wanting to let any of them go!!

With that being said, Potter has made his way home with us. The meet and greet didn't materialize but we went into Hollywood, Ca and picked this precious Cavalier up. The person in possession of Potter at this time was the owners sister who did not have the same attachment to Potter as her sister in Boston, Ma( where Potter spent his entire life until 6 months ago).

All seems well, all the other "kid's" are getting along well with Potter and he is enjoying the freedom of a larger house and backyard along with the ability to go in and out as he pleases(while we are home anyways). He's doing plenty of exploring and sniffing...:-)
96 Vogue Prima Vista

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i just picked up on this thread. kudos for you adopting seniors. they do make wonderful pets. my wife and i have been a foster home for a chihuahua rescue for several years. our rescue takes in many senior dogs dumped at animal shelters when their owners no longer want them. couple years back we fostered a senior female chi named Ollie. Shortly after bringing her home she started showing symptoms of canine dementia. rather than putting her up for adoption we decided to "hospice" foster her for the rest of her life which was approx 18 months.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all and for those diehards still following this thread. Seems my contact from Cavalier Rescue received word of another 12 year old needing to be rehomed(its so heart wrenching to even think of this). Anyways, the owner has been in direct contact with us and its kind of an unusal situation once again.

For my wife and I, its hard to not want to help this Doggie or any doggie in this situation. I guess its a good thing that we live in a County that limits 4 dogs per household! Anyways, this Cavalier's name is Potter(assuming after Harry Potter?), a 12 year old male. Just waiting on a meet and greet and go from there.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. She must sense his prescence. Very interesting.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo, awww so sweet. Rosie knows Elvis is home
LUVRVN

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I have to add this...Our Rosie(Elvis's sister) was always the vocal one, reminding my wife with gentle barks when it was time for Breakfast or Dinner, or when either of them wanted to go outside. Rosie would be the spokesperson for both of them.

The night the Elvis journeyed to the "Bridge", the next morning and following mornings, No notifications from Rosie. We thought how odd but then figured she was mourning her brother.

For our 40 year married life we have had doggies, generally multiple doggies, and have always had the kids cremated when there time had come. So a week goes by with no Breakfast/dinner barks from Rosie, we then retrieve Elvis's ashes and bring them home...the very next morning, Rosie is announcing Breakfast again. Call it what you want....weird, coincidental, faith, I don't know, but there has to be something to it all or at least I like to think that.

Thank You all for your Kind words and support.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo, I am so sorry.
LUVRVN