cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2018 F150 Towing Experience

manley
Explorer
Explorer
As referenced here (link), I recently joined the Ecoboost club by buying an '18 F150. Many have said, "that's not enough truck," but I believed those who said otherwise...

After driving back from Georgia to Texas over the last three days, I have a question:

Who wants to buy a 2018 F150 XLT?

The truck drives great, wonderful gas mileage, great power and braking ability, etc. However, when you put it in a crosswind, it's game over! The truck is simply too light to handle anything more than perhaps about a 6,000 pound trailer. I don't care what the SAE tow ratings say!

I'm done...

Knocks on the head taken, fixing to lose my rear end on trade, and crow eaten. For all those who said "I told you so," I say "yes, you did. I was wrong, and you were right. I'm sorry I didn't believe you."
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS
99 REPLIES 99

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
OP, you have some bad sensors or something going on. I was never a big fan of electric steering.

I have 4 with power steering and no complaints. I was not real happy with my first one but it turned out that a coupler was bad and they would have had the same issue with hydraulic power steering. Once the coupler was fixed it is great. I feel sure that it can be fixed.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
OP, you have some bad sensors or something going on. I was never a big fan of electric steering.

Yes sir, I think so. The service manager at my dealership is waiting to hear back from the Ford engineers... and waiting...
Hensley Arrow

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
bogeygolfer wrote:
... I like to be in control of the trailer, not vice-versa - and this can best happen with a truck that weighs equal to, or more than the trailer you're pulling...
How do you explain 20 ton tractors pulling 60 ton trailers every day of the week at freeway speeds?

I think that you really mean 10 ton tractors pulling 30 ton trailers. These rigs actually have more weight on the tractor tires than on the trailer tires due to the front of the trailer being supported by the tractor. However, I noticed that in Europe most of the trucks that I saw only have one rear axle and the trailers have 3. They seem to tow just fine. The biggest difference that I see is that your connection to the trailer brakes gets much more important when the trailer outweighs the tractor. Additionally, there is no second axle to lock in for traction on slippery roads. I cope with lack of traction issue on my pickup by engaging 4wd but I don't think that those trucks have 4wd.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:
bogeygolfer wrote:
... I like to be in control of the trailer, not vice-versa - and this can best happen with a truck that weighs equal to, or more than the trailer you're pulling...
How do you explain 20 ton tractors pulling 60 ton trailers every day of the week at freeway speeds?
Not to mention they are tested and rated per the J2807 towing standard.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
First off the trailer connection point is not 5ft. behind the rear axle, it’s over or forward of them(fifth wheel). Second the trailer axles are very close to the rear of the trailer, the trailer COG is far forward from them when loaded. Third the rear tires be it 4 duals or 4 super singles produce a large amount of cornering stiffness (grip). Even at that there’s still plenty tractor/trailer combos that still have stability issues and/or jackknife everyday on our highways. It’s rare to see a semi trailer sway but divergent (static) instability is common.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
bogeygolfer wrote:

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Towing my 6000lb trailer with my 2017 XLT 3.5 Eco, 3.55, Crew Cab 5.5 bed - I am impressed and satisfied with the performance. Of course, an HD truck will tow better, yes. But, I like the everyday comforts of the F150 much better than the prior Duramax.

I think you have two issues: 1)something not right with the truck, AND 2)too much trailer (length and weight). If you can figure out #1, you can deal with #2.

I understand all the ratings; I'm just speaking from actual experience. I wouldn't enjoy towing anything heavier than 6k, and longer than 25' with a 1/2 ton truck. I like to be in control of the trailer, not vice-versa - and this can best happen with a truck that weighs equal to, or more than the trailer you're pulling. I know some will disagree; just my experience.

Wish you the best of luck.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
mhamershock wrote:
riven1950 wrote:
eurojet wrote:
I now own a 2018 F150 XLT screw with the 6.5' bed and now tow a 34' 5er and only issue i have is a little bounce in the front , but it tows and handles this new unit perfect

Just wondering if you have the max payload / max towing version? I have a 2013 ECO XLT and love it. We were looking at small 5th Wheels but I know I would have to have more payload. Just hate to give up my ECO.

No need to give up the ECO. Get the ECO 3.5 with the HDPP. Payload will be ~2400 lbs. Very solid TV.

Mike
And as an extra added bonus, you get the 10 speed transmission.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
eurojet wrote:
I now own a 2018 F150 XLT screw with the 6.5' bed and now tow a 34' 5er and only issue i have is a little bounce in the front , but it tows and handles this new unit perfect

Just wondering if you have the max payload / max towing version? I have a 2013 ECO XLT and love it. We were looking at small 5th Wheels but I know I would have to have more payload. Just hate to give up my ECO.

No need to give up the ECO. Get the ECO 3.5 with the HDPP. Payload will be ~2400 lbs. Very solid TV.

Mike

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
eurojet wrote:

eurojet
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned A 2016 F150 XLT screw with the short box towing a 6000LB (when loaded 28' TT and once I found the right hitch set up and used Bilsteins in the rear , it towed beautifully
tried 2 different WD systems and finally got it dialed in with the Reese Dual cam system , did a 6000km trip on all types of roads , grades , weather and no issues.

maybe that steering issue is the culprit

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 1/2 ton Yukon XL Denali 6.2 and paired it with a Hensley Arrow halfway through the first camping season (I was towing a 7800 lb TT). Originally I had a Blue Ox Sway Pro that did nothing to remedy sway conditions in high cross winds. I found a solution with a HA. It eliminated all sway in all driving conditions, no adjustments needed. No modifications to the truck either except for an additional trans oil cooler. Even ran P tires on it.
Unfortunately, the aging Denali and limited payload had me looking for a new truck the following season. Payload sucks on 1/2 ton SUVs. HA will eat 200 lbs of it. Within 6 months, I was the proud owner of a new 2017 Ram 2500 Megacab.

I did experiment and towed with my Blue Ox SP and the new RAm. I could still feel the minor steering inputs required to keep from inducing sway. With the Hensley, there are no inputs required with either vehicle. The trailer just follows the path of the TV's drive wheels, almost like the combo is one unit. You feel slight nudges (similar to driving a car in high winds) but absolutely no unpredictable sway. My wife drives 1/2 the distance to our camping destinations, none of which are less than 200 miles, some are 2000 miles.

To the OP, your Hensley should provide you with the most comfortable towing experience imaginable for a pull behind. It did for me and most other Hensley owners.

Something seems askew on your setup. Hensley provides great customer support. They setup my hitch to my RAM as I live within 30 minutes of their factory. You might want to revisit the Hensley setup.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

I knew the 10-ply / 12-ply deal, but brain-farted it last night while watching my beloved Seminoles get beaten handily.

If anyone is interested, here is the steering wheel alignment:

Note the speed & how level the highway was - I was in the center lane of a 6-lane divided highway, and there was no crown on the highway at all. In addition, the truck was not pulling at all. I could actually turn loose of the steering wheel and it was tracking perfectly straight.
Hensley Arrow