cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Similar to your Rig?

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2016 StarCraft 187tb with our Ford Explorer V6, factory tow package, TV - anyone have success with similar rigs? Anyone have this hybrid - like it? don't like?

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a Jayco x18d, same weight but a bit shorter, with a GMC Safari and similar tow capacity and weight range. It did the job, at least for a while. The wear and tear were noticable though after a couple years and we really had to upgrade the tv. It's amazing how much you don't think there are inclines on your local highways until you start towing with an undersized tv.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
SeaCoast wrote:
Who said anything here about using a "minivan"?

Minivan, CUV, **** box, whatever they are called.

Wow. Never heard some refer to a Ford Explorer as a "minivan".
Not real bright. :?

The definition of a Exploder/Traverse CUV: minivan without sliding doors. Useless 2,000 pound tow rating standard.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

SeaCoast
Explorer
Explorer

Wow. Never heard some refer to a Ford Explorer as a "minivan".
Not real bright. :?
>> 2003 Fleetwood Pioneer 27TB8 (SOLD)
>> 2005 CROSSROADS CRUISER CF30BH (SOLD)
>> In search of Pop-up <<

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
I see this thread is still running.

I towed a 5000-ish pound 2006 (purchased early in 2005, of course) Roo 23SS at max capacity with my 2002 full frame, 4WD (RWD) 4.0 V6 Explorer for two seasons. 5500 pound max tow rating This Explorer was purchased to tow a 3500 pound popup which it did effortlessly. "I could have had a V8" but the 7200 pound rated V8 seemed excessive for the popup and we never thought we'd buy a hybrid two years later. Never comfortable flogging the V6 up hills and against the wind so it was replaced in 2007 with a full frame 5.4 V8 Expedition with a 9000 pound maximum tow rating. Ran this truck for 180,000 miles until the '17 Expedition. Smallest towing engine yet at 3.5 liters. Even my wife's Subaru has 3.6. ๐Ÿ™‚

The Explorer remained in the family another 10 years as my daughter's car. Typical, minor problems with the truck during that time but none related to the drive train which I assume would have been the the result of towing the bigger camper very near max rating.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
hybrid dw wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
I cringe daily when I see minivan towing single axle travel trailers such as 20 ft long and have a full height slide out. For past 25 years I cringed at minvan towing 3500 pup pups. Little has changed in that mindset. That's 3600 pounds of death against 3500lb max tow ratings. Move onto to CUV like exploder and traverse that have 2000 pound max tow without factory tow package or 5000ish for with factory tow. Tongue weight max on minivan and CUV range between 350 to 450ish regardless of WDH help or not.

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
My mechanic told me I wore my Explorer V6 out, towing my 3700# hybrid. I was sorry to see it go.
BabaMartha

shades9323
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even like towing my 2500 14' trailer with my '12 Explorer XLT V6.

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
I cringe daily when I see minivan towing single axle travel trailers such as 20 ft long and have a full height slide out. For past 25 years I cringed at minvan towing 3500 pup pups. Little has changed in that mindset. That's 3600 pounds of death against 3500lb max tow ratings. Move onto to CUV like exploder and traverse that have 2000 pound max tow without factory tow package or 5000ish for with factory tow. Tongue weight max on minivan and CUV range between 350 to 450ish regardless of WDH help or not.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
We are looking at a 2016 StarCraft 187tb with our Ford Explorer V6, factory tow package, TV - anyone have success with similar rigs? Anyone have this hybrid - like it? don't like?

Thanks

Regarding the Explorer as a TV, I tow a 2005 Starcraft 215sb hybrid (about 700 lbs more than yours) with a 2014 Explorer XLT V6 "flexfuel". I do not have the factory tow package. I had U Haul install Class 3 Hitch with a full 7 pin connector and adjustable electric brake controller. Using the weight distribution hitch/anti-sway it pulls adequately enough. Towed it across Florida and back no problems.

My Starcraft Hybrid is very used so not a real good comparison. We do like it though!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Babamartha learned the hard way which is always expensive.
Yes, Chuck, same engine but the Explorer is front wheel drive and a unibody. Big difference between your F150 and the Explorer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ford towing guides show the Explorer with the 3.5 EcoBoost, the same engine as in my Expedition. Is that right?

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Y-Guy
D2Forever wrote:

I had a similar situation a few years ago, new Jayco Kiwi and a Chevy TrailBlazer. All the numbers looked fine, but then the day came for me to hook up and I said no. The trailer was just to much for me to feel comfortable towing. Could it tow it? You bet, but if I got into any trouble I would have been at the mercy of the trailer. So I pulled out my old F150 and eventually upgraded that truck.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
Until recently, I towed a 3700 lb Kodiak 160SVT with my Explorer V6. It had the standard tow package. I had an auxiliary fan installed, along with the brake controller and larger hitch receiver.

I'm sorry to say, I wore my Explorer out. I initially had trouble with overheating. I wore my brakes out. Finally, I was told that the rear end was shot.

I recently replaced it with a Ford F-150. My first trip with this combo is next week.
BabaMartha