cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about TPMS

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding TPMS; On the rear, what do ya'll do about the inside dually. Mine has pretty short stems and I can't get my hand in the holes on the outside rim. I know I can remove the outside and have longer stems put on, but is there an alternative. Are folks successfully using extenders? That makes for a lot of connections: stem, extender then TPMS.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
16 REPLIES 16

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
When I asked my tire shop to replace the valve stems on my outside duals to something that did NOT point back inside where it is hard (impossible) to get to......they BENT the long stems so that they didn't go through the rims anymore. Problem solved.

They also said that they would be happy to put on short stems......the next time my tires needed changing.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I know this is the big boy forum. But I quit screwing around with TPMS on the dually. Us little guys have the same problem and are wheels are even smaller.
All the extension etc. just created more leaks.
The last straw for me was airing the tires was no longer a simple task with TPMS.
I wised up and went to the Crossfire monitoring system for the dually wheels.

Crossfire Monitoring system

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
If you have the correct dual rear wheel spacing/off-set you really should have room to go between the tires. Exception would be at the 6:00 position where the tire bulge will narrow the gap. At 3:00 or 9:00 (which ever give you easier access in terms of coach body) you should be good to go.

But, if you do get DW to do it, please post the cost, as we want to make sure future DW's do not overcharge for this.

I don't think I'll have to worry about DW doing it. I do have factory wheels and tires so there is probably enough room.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the correct dual rear wheel spacing/off-set you really should have room to go between the tires. Exception would be at the 6:00 position where the tire bulge will narrow the gap. At 3:00 or 9:00 (which ever give you easier access in terms of coach body) you should be good to go.

But, if you do get DW to do it, please post the cost, as we want to make sure future DW's do not overcharge for this.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to check and see if I can get my hand in between them. I like that idea of the DW. She may not but she might do it if I buy her something nice.:@

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
eadeal55 wrote:
DW's hands smaller than mine. I had her install those two sensors

Boy, I'll bet the labor charge for that was significant!
Brett Wolfe

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
DW's hands smaller than mine. I had her install those two sensors
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:

In a Tyvek Envelope to my right when I put on new Rubber next month.. they go on as well.

I was able to get my hands through the holes but it was not easy.. And I'm an xxxl hand wise.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of that works if you don't mind crawling under the coach to add air as well.
Since you are only talking about TWO inner wheels, just take it to a shop and have the right valve stems installed and then you can install the sensors, and add air, without getting dirty.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Na, if you are laying on the ground, reaching in, "regular" joints work just fine.

Been there done that.
Brett Wolfe

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Spend the extra time to get properly configured metal valve stems.

AND.....if the "tire changer" insists that both wheels MUST have the long valve stems like trucks do, so that the outer one sticks back inside the rim.....find a different tire shop.

There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON that the two wheels must have the same kind of stems. PUt a long one on the back that comes out through both wheels so you can get to it. Put a short one on the outside wheel so it is easy to get to.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Sure, next time you break down the tires, get a more user-friendly valve stem.

But, in the mean time:

In most cases, you can move the coach so the inner valve stem is at the 3:00 or 9:00 position and lying on the ground, reach in and install the sensor.

No, it isn't fun, but not something you need to do very often. And, IMO, better than adding an extension that gives you another place for a leak to occur.

When all else fails solicit the help of a double jointed small person to slid their hand in between the tires and screw that sensor on for you.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, next time you break down the tires, get a more user-friendly valve stem.

But, in the mean time:

In most cases, you can move the coach so the inner valve stem is at the 3:00 or 9:00 position and lying on the ground, reach in and install the sensor.

No, it isn't fun, but not something you need to do very often. And, IMO, better than adding an extension that gives you another place for a leak to occur.
Brett Wolfe

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
X2 above statements.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B