cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skipping I90 Chicago route going from MA to SD

Not applicable
After a few PM exchanges and reading some posts here, I am planning the route to South Dakota from Mass. I am choosing to skip I90 at Chicago Metro all together (just because of experience with Boston I90 and routes 84 & 91 going in or out of Hartford CT).

From those who travel alot in this Western route, can you tell me how far out should I stay away from Chicago and the area?

I'd rather add a few miles and time and keep moving than sitting in gridlock.

Any good advise where it makes sense to do so?

Thanks
Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
earlvillestu wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Ill make it easy, I-80 to I355 to I88 to I39 and back to 39/94!. Itโ€™s the long way around and has tolls but it moves good!

Normally I'd agree, but 88 is under construction, one lane from Aurora to 39, and moves very slow. I'd stay on 355/290 to 90 and head west from there.

I did not know that! They just did construction last year or the year before in that section, and a few years before that! Oh well. You could always stay on 80-39.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took I-80 to 29 into Sioux Falls and roads were good. Part of 29 can be closed if there is lots of rain/flooding. Speed limit on 29 was 80 and barely any traffic. We were already a little west of Chicago so didn't have to fight that issue.

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ill make it easy, I-80 to I355 to I88 to I39 and back to 39/94!. Itโ€™s the long way around and has tolls but it moves good!

Normally I'd agree, but 88 is under construction, one lane from Aurora to 39, and moves very slow. I'd stay on 355/290 to 90 and head west from there.
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I just replied to your other post in the forum so check it out. For 138 miles difference you can avoid all the congestion and take in some scenic beauty by cutting across Ontario and Niagara Falls taking you into Michigan then north to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Wisconsin and eventually picking up I-90 west.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Not applicable
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

Personally I try to avoid filling up in Minnesota. The state is a little different in that fuel stations tend not to be on I-90. You usually have to drive a few miles away from the interstate to find a station. Donโ€™t fill up in Southern Wisconsin as merging back on could be a nightmare. There are some stations in the Tomah area in Western Wisconsin. We stopped at a Loves station near Oakdale. It wasnโ€™t huge, but maneuvering our 34โ€™ fiver around the outside pumps was not a problem. Just outside the western border of Minnesota there is a Flying J in Sioux Falls, SD.
I donโ€™t know much about it, but a Kwik Trip station in MN and a Road Ranger station in Wisconsin had labels on the pump saying that the fuel might be up to 20% biodiesel. I chose to fill up elsewhere.
I havenโ€™t been there, but in Illinois there is a truck stop on I-90 about 15 miles east of Rockford at Route 20.
I would suggest using Gas Buddy to find diesel fuel stations and then Google Maps to make sure you can get in and out without a problem. Any station with good access to diesel should also have easy access to gasoline.
Have a great trip!

Thanks!
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
On Google maps put in your start and end points. Then add a midpoint just west of Columbus Ohio on Interstate 70. It should bring you across PA on I-80 (no tolls in PA) and then limit your Ohio toll roads.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
I just returned to the Chicago area from the Black Hills. There is a long section of I-90 in Southern Minnesota that is in need of repair. In Wisconsin there is a 42 mile long construction zone from Madison south to almost the state line. Traffic moved along at 55 mph, but it was heavy. In Illinois there is construction on I-294 and I-355 and traffic always backs up where I-290 & I-294 meet up.

I-90 through Illinois, Wisconsin & Minnesota is the fastest route. Since you want an alternative, my best advice for you would be to take I-80 all the way to the Omaha area, and then head north to Sioux Falls. Iโ€™m guessing that it might add an hour to your trip. FYI, I-80 will have a lot more trucks than I-90 west of the Chicago area.

So this is your suggestion going west I80 toward Omaha NE then North to Souix Falls SD. According to Google Maps it roughly adds 30 miles more. So would you think the more trucks the more and/or easier on/off fuel stops?

Thanks
Normy

Yep. That route would definitely have more places to fuel up. The โ€œWorldโ€™s Largest Truckstopโ€ is at Wolcott, Iowa just past the Quad Cities. There is a Flying J near Des Moines. I rarely get down to I-80 in Illinois, but Iโ€™d check out Gas Buddy for that.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
Normy wrote:
After a few PM exchanges and reading some posts here, I am planning the route to South Dakota from Mass. I am choosing to skip I90 at Chicago Metro all together (just because of experience with Boston I90 and routes 84 & 91 going in or out of Hartford CT).

From those who travel alot in this Western route, can you tell me how far out should I stay away from Chicago and the area?

Thanks
Normy

This would be more to My liking - Map
Gets me away from many big cities and avoids Chicago Big Time.

Just one More Option,

Would agree with Bill/Busskipper on this route, far less hassle getting around Indy than the Chicagoland area, and that was OP's original premise...avoiding the mess that is I-80/90.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
I just returned to the Chicago area from the Black Hills. There is a long section of I-90 in Southern Minnesota that is in need of repair. In Wisconsin there is a 42 mile long construction zone from Madison south to almost the state line. Traffic moved along at 55 mph, but it was heavy. In Illinois there is construction on I-294 and I-355 and traffic always backs up where I-290 & I-294 meet up.

I-90 through Illinois, Wisconsin & Minnesota is the fastest route. Since you want an alternative, my best advice for you would be to take I-80 all the way to the Omaha area, and then head north to Sioux Falls. Iโ€™m guessing that it might add an hour to your trip. FYI, I-80 will have a lot more trucks than I-90 west of the Chicago area.

So this is your suggestion going west I80 toward Omaha NE then North to Souix Falls SD. According to Google Maps it roughly adds 30 miles more. So would you think the more trucks the more and/or easier on/off fuel stops?

Thanks
Normy

I have been on that route years back. I always say it's pig poo odor and diesel fumes but it seemed easy. No reason to go up near Chicago.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:

Thanks
Normy

This would be more to My liking - Map
Gets me away from many big cities and avoids Chicago Big Time.

Just one More Option,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Not applicable
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

Thanks
Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Thanks so much, you seem to know yours routes! If I take what you suggest, do you recall easy access to fuel stations and plenty? I will need both gas & diesel since we are 2 families

Thanks
Normy

Personally I try to avoid filling up in Minnesota. The state is a little different in that fuel stations tend not to be on I-90. You usually have to drive a few miles away from the interstate to find a station. Donโ€™t fill up in Southern Wisconsin as merging back on could be a nightmare. There are some stations in the Tomah area in Western Wisconsin. We stopped at a Loves station near Oakdale. It wasnโ€™t huge, but maneuvering our 34โ€™ fiver around the outside pumps was not a problem. Just outside the western border of Minnesota there is a Flying J in Sioux Falls, SD.
I donโ€™t know much about it, but a Kwik Trip station in MN and a Road Ranger station in Wisconsin had labels on the pump saying that the fuel might be up to 20% biodiesel. I chose to fill up elsewhere.
I havenโ€™t been there, but in Illinois there is a truck stop on I-90 about 15 miles east of Rockford at Route 20.
I would suggest using Gas Buddy to find diesel fuel stations and then Google Maps to make sure you can get in and out without a problem. Any station with good access to diesel should also have easy access to gasoline.
Have a great trip!
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Not applicable

MOD'S EDIT: Fixed! :B
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy