cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension found in Onan 5500 generator compartment

coastalrv1
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2000 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35. Exploring in the generator compartment I found a small pouch. Contained in the pouch was a long cord with a 120 amp connector. Can anyone tell me what that is used for? Also, in the bedroom main control panel, I have a switch for forward and aft A/C. Can I flip the switch to run the aft A/C?

Please see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
9 REPLIES 9

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I used to keep an extension cord by the generator for when I wanted to plug in the engine warmer on my Cummins when going to and from Florida in the winter and boondocking along the way. I'd start the genset and then plug the engine into an outside outlet.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fyrflie wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
You have a 30 amp RV. That means you cannot run BOTH AC units on 30 amp power. Doug

Sorry, but this statement is not entirely correct.
I have a 2001 Fleetwood Flair with a built in power management system (OEM) that will shed power as needed to run everything in the coach on a 30 amp service.

I run both A/C’s all the time.

I realize that I have taken this quote somewhat out of context, but I just don’t won’t the world to think, “Oh my god, We only have 30 amps, what are we going to do”.

Learn and understand your rig and all of the components within. It may just help you out some day.

If you want to split hairs. MOST 30 amp RV's with a EMS system (Fleetwood was one OEM), that used special LOW AMP(RVP) AC units that usually used about 10 to 11 amps each to utilize service on 30 amps. MOST 30 amp Motorhomes and even 30 amp motorhomes with a EMS shed system CANNOT run BOTH AC's in the heat of the day and have other 120 appliances running. They have regular roof AC units that will pull from 13 to 14 amps each. AS you stated Learn and understand your rig. But, MY comment involves real life Tech experience for 38 years. The poster stated he had a Front/Rear AC switch which means he does NOT have the EMS system. You do not install a Front/Rear AC switch if you have an EMS system. YOU have an automatic system to manage your AC amp consumption. Doug

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
You have a 30 amp RV. That means you cannot run BOTH AC units on 30 amp power. Doug

Sorry, but this statement is not entirely correct.
I have a 2001 Fleetwood Flair with a built in power management system (OEM) that will shed power as needed to run everything in the coach on a 30 amp service.

I run both A/C’s all the time.

I realize that I have taken this quote somewhat out of context, but I just don’t won’t the world to think, “Oh my god, We only have 30 amps, what are we going to do”.

Learn and understand your rig and all of the components within. It may just help you out some day.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF that extension cord is not loose and removable and is wired on one end to something, odds are the previous owner wired THAT cord for the rear AC so he could run the rear AC. You have a 30 amp RV. That means you cannot run BOTH AC units on 30 amp power. The Rear and Front AC switch is for when on 30 amp shore power you can select the front or rear to run on shore power. To run BOTH on Genset, you put the switch in Front AC and the genset will run both AC units
MAKE SURE THAT THAT EXTRA EXTENSION CORD IS NOT HOT ON THE MALE END WHEN THE GENSET IS RUNNING. I HAVE SEEN IDIOTS WIRE AN EXTRA CORD FOR THE REAR AC AND THEY WIRE IT DIRECT TO THE AC THRU THE GENST WIRING AND WHEN THE GENSET IS ON THAT END HAS 120 VOLTS. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I gather this is a 30 amp RV. the Forward/Aft switch is common on those (NOTE in one position they may both run when using the generator)

That 120 volt cord (you have likely never seen a 120 AMP connector. I am not sure I have and we use some serious amperage lighting a stage)

If it is 'Single ended" (hard wired to something) look for an outlet near where it connects.. Likely runs the rear A/C.

if it is just an extension cord. then it's just an extension cord.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’m a dry camper and still carry 50 feet of heavy duty extension cord...just in case.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
coastalrv1 wrote:
Also, in the bedroom main control panel, I have a switch for forward and aft A/C. Can I flip the switch to run the aft A/C?

Yes, you can flip the switch to run the aft A/C. That is the purpose of the switch.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
120 volt maybe but not 120amp my friend. Just a extension cord why not carry one. I think all the rest of us have at least one.
al